SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

I havent seen on started, so I'll go ahead it make it happen.

Youngstown St vs Samford kicks off the season today. Does Bo Pelini finally turn things around at Y State?

Finally? You do know they made the National Championship in 2016 right

23 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Bo and Bubba started at their respective schools at about the same time...  One coach has had a bit more success than the other...

Bubba started in 2014 after Mussman's 3-8 and 5-6 disappointing seasons, took Bubba a little bit to get things turned around compared to Bo who started in 2015 after 7-5 and 8-4 records at YSU. Bo saw immediate success with already a playoff type team waiting for him.

2018 UND 6-5  YSU 4-7

2017 UND 3-8 YSU 6-5

2016 UND 9-3 YSU 12-4

2015 UND 7-4 YSU 5-6

Overall: UND 25-20  YSU 27-22

I call it a little bit more success but not much. Take out 2016 for both teams and Bubba can say he turned a program around from the dumps to a playoff caliber team, where as Bo wouldn't have had any playoff caliber teams. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Bubba started in 2014 after Mussman's 3-8 and 5-6 disappointing seasons, took Bubba a little bit to get things turned around compared to Bo who started in 2015 after 7-5 and 8-4 records at YSU. Bo saw immediate success with already a playoff type team waiting for him.

2018 UND 6-5  YSU 4-7

2017 UND 3-8 YSU 6-5

2016 UND 9-3 YSU 12-4

2015 UND 7-4 YSU 5-6

Overall: UND 25-20  YSU 27-22

I call it a little bit more success but not much. Take out 2016 for both teams and Bubba can say he turned a program around from the dumps to a playoff caliber team, where as Bo wouldn't have had any playoff caliber teams. 

Just take out 2016? You mean the year YSU played for the National Championship?

tenor.gif?itemid=7356251

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Well, 25-20 (0.556) is a better winning percentage than 27-22 (0.551). 

Just goes to show how numbers without context are meaningless.

Not all wins and losses are created equal. Look at YSU's 2017 schedule. 6-5 doesn't tell the whole story.

https://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/schedule

A loss is a loss as far as the playoffs go, but they took an FBS school and the FCS national champion to overtime.

7 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Just goes to show how numbers without context are meaningless.

Not all wins and losses are created equal. Look at YSU's 2017 schedule. 6-5 doesn't tell the whole story.

https://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/schedule

A loss is a loss as far as the playoffs go, but they took an FBS school and the FCS national champion to overtime.

Cool. YSU is amazing .............

Minus the National Championship season, Bo and YSU have been nothing special. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yep one whole playoff season, and two losing seasons. Why did he ever get fired from Nebraska, he is so awesome. 

15 hours ago, Bison06 said:

A loss is a loss as far as the playoffs go

We already know that's not true and are looking forward to the support UND will receive from NDSU fans when we have a few #qualitylosses vs MVFC teams on the schedule next year. 

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Yep one whole playoff season, and two losing seasons. Why did he ever get fired from Nebraska, he is so awesome. 

You’re hilarious Darell. You make an argument for why Bubba has been better than Pelini. I refute it and now you change the argument to “Pelini hasn’t been great”.

I’ve followed YSU as a conference member for years, I’m fully aware of what Pelini has  and hasn’t accomplished.

in comparison to Bubba, your original argument, his team’s have been much, much more competitive over the last five years. If you say differently than you haven’t followed YSU football.

Pelini’s biggest downfall has been consistency. You have no idea which version of YSU you’ll get each week. They can lose to anyone, but also give the top conference members a serious run almost every time. 

Is Pelini great? Nope.

Has he had more success than Bubba? Yep.

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And minus my Y chromosome, my kids would have two moms.

You can’t just “minus the National Championship season”

So the morning paper has an article by David Sharma, reprinted from the Forum. It covers the Juice U game against Butler on Saturday at Target Field ( first D1 football game at Target FIELD). So he states  “Whether the Bison could week after week win games against Big 10 and Big 12 teams is an argument for another day, but a college football authority told Sports Headliners the passionate NDSU fan base thinks so. They believe they can beat ‘Bama!”

the bigger they are the harder they fall.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

So the morning paper has an article by David Sharma, reprinted from the Forum. It covers the Juice U game against Butler on Saturday at Target Field ( first D1 football game at Target FIELD). So he states  “Whether the Bison could week after week win games against Big 10 and Big 12 teams is an argument for another day, but a college football authority told Sports Headliners the passionate NDSU fan base thinks so. They believe they can beat ‘Bama!”

the bigger they are the harder they fall.

I get the exuberance of winning national titles, but to think they could compete with the HUGE boys is mind boggling. But if you they wanna try, I wish them well. (Not really)

Oh, and the standard maybe needs to be Clemson, not Bama.

37 minutes ago, northernraider said:

As someone that grew up in SEC country and still follows the conference closely, NDSU has a 1% chance of beating Alabama. 

I have a hard time seeing them beat any of the top 6 teams in the conference. 

giphy.gif

I know I wouldn't want to be Oregon.  They will have a serious misfortune(s) this season into next and will put their weakest team on the field in decades just to roll over for Juice U in 2020.  I know the history has been chronicled, but seriously Juice U catches FBS teams that are either crap, inexperienced, or too stubborn (Iowa) to play to beat a lessor opponent. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

He got fired from Nebraska because that school thinks it's still 1995 and they are relevant.

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I know I wouldn't want to be Oregon.  They will have a serious misfortune(s) this season into next and will put their weakest team on the field in decades just to roll over for Juice U in 2020.  I know the history has been chronicled, but seriously Juice U catches FBS teams that are either crap, inexperienced, or too stubborn (Iowa) to play to beat a lessor opponent. 

Isn’t it a little early to start making excuses for Oregon? How would you have any clue what kind of team they’ll put on the field over a year from now?

As to the rest of your post...wow.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Isn’t it a little early to start making excuses for Oregon? How would you have any clue what kind of team they’ll put on the field over a year from now?

As to the rest of your post...wow.

I hope my musky fishing trip next week is this easy.:lol::lol: