SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

5 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

I think we need to calm down with the bid aspect of who hosts.  The bid is part of the process and not the entire end all of who hosts.  We obviously got in as the last seed; it would be a stretch that we host as the last seed in the tournament.

Bracket is set. Bids are open. Highest bid hosts. Nothing more, nothing less. Nicholls managed to outbid us. Nothing can be done at this point. All luck of the draw on who you get matched up against. 

UND bid well above the minimum. The staff was confident there were only a one or two teams that would exceed UND's bid. Turned out to be wrong, but again, it's done. Nicholls will be taking a bath to hopefully what amounts to buying a home loss. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Nichols attendance this season according to their website:

This is upsetting for UND to have to travel there. Those attendance numbers are less than UND’s in the Alerus Center. It tells you how much work there is yet to do in order to increase UND football attendance and the perception around the program. Simply winning is not the complete answer; having a good UND team AND a good gameday atmosphere is. UND should be hosting a school like Nicholls State. 

Oh well, go get the win Bubba.

• Like 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

We shouldn’t ignore the process and the facts. The bids are the way by which the hosting institution is determined. It is not (supposed to be) random. What you’re implying is even more imposturous: UND outbid Nicholls yet still is traveling? 

Look, UND is last team in; Nicholls won their conference; UND does not draw substantially better then most teams.  If UND got the bid I would guess attendance would be about 8000 at the Alerus on a Thanksgiving weekend.  How much can you bid with attendance of 8000?  As the lower seed in the tournament you would have to outbid the other team by a lot to host.  If Nicholls was in the ballpark they would host as the higher seed.  The biding process is part of the hosting process but not the entire part of the process.  We should be happy we are in.

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

They bid about $90k

i bet Chaves did slightly over the minimum. 

my god

If that is true, 90K was a pretty good bid by them and close to how much we could muster.  8000 at what I would guess would be an average of $20 a ticket is $160K in revenue ...you cant give it away as you have expenses to host as well

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would think this is mostly correct, don't know where they showed us identified as #24.

The fact that the winner of our game plays the #1 seed NDSU identifies either us or Nicholls as the #24 seed.  They were ranked ahead of us and won their conference; therefore we are the #24 seed and last one in.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ksixpack said:

The fact that the winner of our game plays the #1 seed NDSU identifies either us or Nicholls as the #24 seed.  They were ranked ahead of us and won their conference; therefore we are the #24 seed and last one in.

This....^^^

My nightmare almost came true:

-UND finishes 7-4 after Weber loss and uninspired UNC showing.

-SIU plays an NDSU team that flat out didn't try very hard and rested some dinged up guys.  

-SIU plays a decent game at home and still loses against a team that went through the motions in a meaningless game for them and won.

-Mcfooly blows his load about SIU belonging and writes an article about it to piss off UND fans because then it seems like Fargo media has some say in the process if UND is left out.  

-UND is last team out.

7 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Except that this tournament is not seeded as a "National" tournament 1-24, it is seeded regionally to save the NCAA travel money. 

• Upvote 2