SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

2 hours ago, MIBT said:

I would be surprised if NDSU would want to be a part of the MWC for the same reason I think UND to the Big Sky was a mistake. The core recruiting market for UND and NDSU should be Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa. If they recruit there it will be harder to get athletes if they know all their road games are far away. If they try to recruit in the footprint of the MWC they'll be targeting far from Fargo/Grand Forks. I think that's the main reason UND struggled to be consistent in the BSC and should do better at least in recruiting in the MVFC. From a geography standpoint the MAC is a better option and possible the AAC. The AAC would need to be a football-only option though because the cost of travel for all the other sports would be prohibitive. I expect them to stay FCS for the near future.

My theory is that NDSU didn’t want UND in the MVFC so as to weaken the program.  Chapman and Taylor were entirely capable of throwing monkey wrenches at UND so even talks with the Southland football were started.  But the Big Sky heard the back office commotion and came through with offers for both UXD’s..

The Forum printed that UND was not wanted because the MVFC didn’t want to go to eleven schools.  Well, the MVFC is scheduled to go to 11 next year with different NDSU AD’s and President.

And there are least two Montana schools that greatly value a Dakota presence.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The MWC would never take an FCS team for a move up unless they lost a bunch to P5, which could be decades.  NDSU does not have big enough metro area and good enough mbb.

If the MWC need new schools, they would take Rice or UTSA.

The MWC has talked about adding FB only schools. That is the only way NDSU gets in the MWC. 

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

The MWC has talked about adding FB only schools. That is the only way NDSU gets in the MWC. 

The MWC has talked about non-football schools, like Gonzaga.  But never fb only schools to my knowledge.  Boise St and SDSU would have gone Big West for other sports if they accepted an American fb only offer

The MWC already has a fb only school, Hawaii, so it doesn’t need another.  Gonzaga would fill out the non football half and 12 would be the effective total number.  Hawaii is just too much travel and burden for all sport membership.

Seen some NDSU fans talking American fb only membership on AGS, which is as blatantly absurd as BIG and Big 12 membership.  NDSU would not be accepted just based on academics and research, never mind media and overall athletics.

If the MWC wanted a 13th fb school, UC Davis would come in first from FCS because of academics, research and being in a major media market.  But the MWC hasn’t called out for an additional FB team and Texas CUSA ones would be first.  TCU used the MWC to get a Big 12 bid.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

NDSU already gave up winning championships for all their sports (except football) for more prestige by moving up.

No reason they wouldn't do it again.

Might be a little different since football would be the one giving up titles now... personally, I think it's about money. It's very expensive to play at that level. 

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Might be a little different since football would be the one giving up titles now.

Moving now would be a small step. It's just one sport giving up championships.

Big move was already taken by giving up championships for all the other sports. 

Prestige jump would be immense though if moved to MWC.

46 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Might be a little different since football would be the one giving up titles now... personally, I think it's about money. It's very expensive to play at that level. 

It’s not like one has to gold plate everything.  22 more scholarships. More expensive coach coaches, and more women’s sports and much more attention during the entire season.  Somehow Coastal Carolina could affor it but NDSU can’t.  Why is NDSU building an indoor practice center when they didn’t have one before, but still had championships.  Montana, Montana St, and Weber St have also made tremendous facility advances and they are actually performing better.

But with the new CFP rules, there is much more money playing FBS.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It’s not like one has to gold plate everything.  22 more scholarships. More expensive coach coaches, and more women’s sports and much more attention during the entire season.  Somehow Coastal Carolina could affor it but NDSU can’t.  Why is NDSU building an indoor practice center when they didn’t have one before, but still had championships.  Montana, Montana St, and Weber St have also made tremendous facility advances and they are actually performing better.

But with the new CFP rules, there is much more money playing FBS.

Nah, they'll just do another survey.

• Upvote 1

NDSU is never going to move up to FBS in its current state.  Only "move up" is if the P5 schools split off and the G5 and select FCS schools create a new devision of football.  The reason NDSU won't go FBS....$$$$$$$$$$.  Going FBs costs A LOT of money.  NDSU can't afford it.  Traveling to MWC or MAC schools costs money.  NDSU can't afford it.  Can we all just stop the "NDSU to FBS" talk?  It is NEVER going to happen. 

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU already has a bigger athletic budget than most of the Sun Belt.  A 9000 seat stadium didn’t stop Coastal Carolina from moving up.

its possible that the new CFP  will be worth $3 million for each G5 in 2025.  FCS returns zero in comparison,

Could be impacted by the NCAA change in college sponsorships...

NDSU has another issue lurking: Complacency in the fan base. 

The smallest home crowd in nearly 10 seasons ... NDSU pulled away from Nicholls State after halftime to earn a 37-13 victory before 15,690 fans at Gate City Bank Field at the Fargodome. ... 

The game against Nicholls State was the smallest home crowd for NDSU since 2010 when the Bison defeated Robert Morris (Pa.) before 12,002 fans in the first round of the FCS playoffs.

https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/football/4812038-Bison-set-FCS-winning-streak-record-advance-to-the-quarterfinals-for-10th-straight-season 

Yes, those were two for-sure opening playoff round games. But people didn't come out and that's revenue not realized.

When will that trickle down into for-sure regular season games? 

And what happens if NDSU comes back down to earth with a couple 8-3 season and (gasp) home losses? 

I'd take the winning in a heartbeat, but is it conditioning NDSU fans in ways that aren't realistic? 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd take the winning in a heartbeat, but is it conditioning NDSU fans in ways that aren't realistic? 

Unfortunately, they have continued on what most would deem an unrealistic pace for an extended period of time. It is now realistic until it isn't...

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

NDSU is never going to move up to FBS in its current state.  Only "move up" is if the P5 schools split off and the G5 and select FCS schools create a new devision of football.  The reason NDSU won't go FBS....$$$$$$$$$$.  Going FBs costs A LOT of money.  NDSU can't afford it.  Traveling to MWC or MAC schools costs money.  NDSU can't afford it.  Can we all just stop the "NDSU to FBS" talk?  It is NEVER going to happen. 

I think they could probably afford it. The question is if it's worth it to spend that much more money. Most teams in FBS and FCS have no chance to win a championship yet they still see value in their programs. Some will compete for conference championships. Some will compete to win a playoff game or two. Your goals change. Even in D2 there were a lot of sports for UND and NDSU didn't have a realistic shot at winning a national championship. If they do move up Bison fans will be accustomed to a new normal and I think be just fine. But is the extra cost worth the jump in the current environment. I personally like UND and NDSU at the same level in the same conference. They are peers in every way and should be peers in athletics as well. It's not like Ohio/Ohio State or Illinois/Illinois State.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Unfortunately, they have continued on what most would deem an unrealistic pace for an extended period of time. It is now realistic until it isn't...

Most of us realized along time ago that we had caught lightening in a bottle.  Most also understand it cant last forever and cant believe its lasted this long. But I am certainly not complacent as I understand the commitment it takes to do hat has been done and needs to be done in the future. Fact is its not complacency in the fan base you have to worry about. Its within the Athletic Dept and the team. Considering the building projects and the leadership involved I dont see any complacency for the near future.

Just now, bison73 said:

Most of us realized along time ago that we had caught lightening in a bottle.  Most also understand it cant last forever and cant believe its lasted this long. But I am certainly not complacent as I understand the commitment it takes to do hat has been done and needs to be done in the future. Fact is its not complacency in the fan base you have to worry about. Its within the Athletic Dept and the team. Considering the building projects and the leadership involved I dont see any complacency for the near future.

I thought it was caffeine in a bottle. 

• Upvote 2