SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

9 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

How would folks feel about expanding the playoffs? I propose a way to do that here, with keeping the same amount of weekends for playoff 'ball. https://seamoresports.com/2019/11/26/time-to-grow-the-fcs-playoffs/

How about cutting it down to 16. There are at least 8 teams that have ZERO chance of winning a title. Give everybody a bye week before the playoffs and get rid of regionalization, seed everyone 1-16. Tell the SWAC and MEAC if they want to play in the Celebration bowl they lose their AQ. If they want somebody in the playoffs their second place teams better have a great resume. I think that would be 8 AQ’s and 8 at large bids.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

How about cutting it down to 16. There are at least 8 teams that have ZERO chance of winning a title. Give everybody a bye week before the playoffs and get rid of regionalization, seed everyone 1-16. Tell the SWAC and MEAC if they want to play in the Celebration bowl they lose their AQ. If they want somebody in the playoffs their second place teams better have a great resume. I think that would be 8 AQ’s and 8 at large bids.

Fair points, but how many mens and womens basketball teams have a "chance" to win the title. I would prefer expansion as FCS ball is growing, the tourney should grow with it. 

44 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Considering any NCAA sponsored tournament is required to offer autobids to conference champions and there are 10 conferences that utilize their autobids, what you're advocating for is 6 at large teams (not 8 but I digress). Not happening. 

Note - there are actually 13 autobids available but the SWAC, MEAC and Ivy choose not to use the ones they are offered. However SWAC and MEAC teams that don't play in the Celebration Bowl are still eligible to make the field as an at-large.

41 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yeah, go tell the MEAC and SWAC that they're going to lose their autobids. That should be a funny conversation.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

In today’s political climate, or any for that matter, if the FCS tried to remove the “Privilege” of an autobid from two conferences containing HBCUs there would be an absolute PR World War.

You're missing my point. (hint: check out the actual list of autobid conferences)

6 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Fair points, but how many mens and womens basketball teams have a "chance" to win the title. I would prefer expansion as FCS ball is growing, the tourney should grow with it. 

Not very many have a chance to win the BB tourneys, but comparing making it to the “Big Dance” in BB and making the FCS playoffs are worlds apart. And if it means only 6 at large bids, so be it. That gives 2 each for the Big Sky and MVFC, and the other two split between the CAA and Southland. If you are fourth or worse in your conference you are out of luck.

26 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Not very many have a chance to win the BB tourneys, but comparing making it to the “Big Dance” in BB and making the FCS playoffs are worlds apart. And if it means only 6 at large bids, so be it. That gives 2 each for the Big Sky and MVFC, and the other two split between the CAA and Southland. If you are fourth or worse in your conference you are out of luck.

It's pretty much locked in NCAA policy that there must be at least 1 at-large bid for every 1 autobid. That's for every DI tournament, not just FCS or MBB. As for cutting down the FCS autobids, you can't really do that. If you just arbitrarily choose who gets them, you could be looking at a lawsuit you can't win. And there's no easy criteria you can use to exclude anyone that also gets you down to 8. And if you can't get down to 8, what's the point?

The thing that upset the apple cart was the NEC adding scholarships. Prior to that, the committee was able to exclude them and the Pioneer because they were non-scholarship. That was a concrete reason to exclude, and not just some arbitrary "you're not good enough". But when the NEC became a scholarship conference, they had a right to an autobid. At that point, you might as well add at least the Pioneer and go to 20 teams(10+10). And once you go to 20, you might as well go to 24 to clean up the bracket. And having space for two more autobids makes sense in case the SWAC and MEAC ever want to rejoin, or the Ivy decides to take part, or a new conference forms like the Great West almost did before being absorbed into the Big Sky.

Wanting the playoffs to go back to 16 is just unrealistic and a waste of time.

• Like 1