SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think- Is it time for NDSU to move their football program up to the next level now? 8 championships in 9 seasons at the FCS level... this question will certainly never go away. Even James Madison is looking at moving up (joining the AAC), and they have nothing on the NDSU program.

I know this article is from July, but still completely relevant.

https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/brake-fbs-question-133770261/

4 minutes ago, Siouxperkick said:

What do you think- Is it time for NDSU to move their football program up to the next level now? 8 championships in 9 seasons at the FCS level... this question will certainly never go away. Even James Madison is looking at moving up (joining the AAC), and they have nothing on the NDSU program.

https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/brake-fbs-question-133770261/

It’s not totally NDSUs decision. Where are they going to go? 

5 minutes ago, Siouxperkick said:

In my mind, it really doesn't make sense for NDSU to move up to any conference, but the BIG10 and they know that. They also know that competing in the BIG10 would be incredibly difficult for them in all aspects of the move. I do see the argument for the MWC, but at the same time, even if they dominated that conference, which they possibly could, the ceiling there is low and they would never be National Champions ever again.

10 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

In my mind, it really doesn't make sense for NDSU to move up to any conference, but the BIG10 and they know that. They also know that competing in the BIG10 would be incredibly difficult for them in all aspects of the move. I do see the argument for the MWC, but at the same time, even if they dominated that conference, which they possibly could, the ceiling there is low and they would never be National Champions ever again.

NDSU is stuck in an awkward spot. I dont see how they can move up really. Lots of money required. Would be neat to see though. Had North and South Dakota done the smart move and just had one major public school each I think both would be in the FBS and who knows...maybe P5.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

NDSU is stuck in an awkward spot. I dont see how they can move up really. Lots of money required. Would be neat to see though. Had North and South Dakota done the smart move and just had one major public school each I think both would be in the FBS and who knows...maybe P5.

I think had they moved up to IAA in the 70s with the Montanas and other nearby schools, they all would be FBS now.

1 hour ago, Siouxperkick said:

8 of 9....ya, it's a little anticlimactic following FCS football these days.  I haven't watch a final for 4 years now.  You can only watch Forest Gump 3-4 times then it gets a little old.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperkick said:

No conference is going to add NDSU unless they are desperate to add a team. They do not want to split their payouts with another team or two. The MWC just signed a new tv deal for 270 million over 6 years. If they added NDSU they would just have to split that payout with another team.

Like it or not Sioux Volley is right. The only way NDSU is moving up to FBS is if multiple schools move up to form a new FBS conference.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

The B1G notion is silly.  Has very little to do with ability to compete on an athletic stage, and very much to do with elitism and an unspoken hierarchy amongst academia.  Said another way, the Big Ten presidents will never allow for this.  Same goes true with UND and the B1G Hockey conference.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

NDSU wants the Mountain West, which is an equally uphill battle as JMU to the American.   

The MWC would never take an FCS team for a move up unless they lost a bunch to P5, which could be decades.  NDSU does not have big enough metro area and good enough mbb.

If the MWC need new schools, they would take Rice or UTSA.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

We do??????  May be Lakes---but not the rest of us.

Ya I am far from an NDSU fan, but I don't think the MWC is something NDSU wants a part of. That conference has really lost some clout if you ask me. Boise is your top dog and they are no where near the current FBS playoff format. This maybe gets NDSU some intriguing non-conference games and a gator bowl yearly, but that's not what Bison fans want. Let's also remember, there are more sports than football that would have to more over......

3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

NDSU wants the Mountain West, which is an equally uphill battle as JMU to the American.   

I would be surprised if NDSU would want to be a part of the MWC for the same reason I think UND to the Big Sky was a mistake. The core recruiting market for UND and NDSU should be Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa. If they recruit there it will be harder to get athletes if they know all their road games are far away. If they try to recruit in the footprint of the MWC they'll be targeting far from Fargo/Grand Forks. I think that's the main reason UND struggled to be consistent in the BSC and should do better at least in recruiting in the MVFC. From a geography standpoint the MAC is a better option and possible the AAC. The AAC would need to be a football-only option though because the cost of travel for all the other sports would be prohibitive. I expect them to stay FCS for the near future.