SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Overall:

This team will be back in the NCAAs this year, not only that, I think they have a very high ceiling this year. I really, really like this team.

My concern: 
Who's going to step up and show the group of forwards it's acceptable to put up some goals, early and often. 

Last season it was like they were afraid to. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

My concern: 
Who's going to step up and show the group of forwards it's acceptable to put up some goals, early and often. 

Last season it was like they were afraid to. 

Hopefully they learn they can actually make plays and not just rely on puck luck from long range shots.

I think the solution to not being able to put the puck in the net is simple. In the intro to Through These Doors you see a player one-timing a shot right into the middle of the net. Had there been a goalie the puck would have hit him square in the chest (sound familiar?). So they need to edit that intro and show a player hitting a corner. Guaranteed increase of at least 1.5 goals per game. You're welcome.

• Upvote 2

I like the thinking and positivity.  I wouldn't split up Hain and Senden though.  I think Blaisdel, Smith, and Caulfield are all potential candidates to complement them.

i like putting Pinto up the depth chart and protecting him with Guch and Mishmash from an experience perspective.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, tnt said:

Mismash needs to realize that he is a potential All American if he can get his motor running on a consistent basis.

Agreed. Biggest area for improvement in his game is his attitude/mental toughness. He shuts down when he doesn't get a call, or is having a poor game. That's where a captain like the General would have come in handy. Pattyn wouldn't have put up with Mismash's bs, and that's not a knock on Poolman, they have different leadership styles. 

10 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Heck, why not keep the Senden, Hein, Smith line in tact? They seemed effective last year. 

I fully expect Berry to keep that line in tact, at least to start the season.

Lines that worked the previous season usually start the following season together until it stops working, or something else works better. 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:08 AM, AJS said:

I always start by looking back to last year, the final numbers being 5th in the NCHC and 20th in the pairwise. Not where any of us hoped they'd be, but honestly, not that far off from being a tournament team. As annoying as it is to play what ifs, they were one win against Western at home on Friday night of finishing 3rd in the NCHC. 

Goalies:

• Scheel: Real deal, very impressive Freshman season. His Save % was solid at .911, given the limited amount of shots that were usually given up, that will give the team a chance to win a lot of games. His so technically sound, doesn't give up bad goals, always in the right position.
  • Thome: Although his numbers took a hit from his Freshman year, he was very good when Scheel went down at the end of the year. Unlike his Freshman year and the start of his Sophomore campaign, he looked very comfortable, more structurally sound at the end of the year. Rebounds were much better. 

Overall, a very good one / two punch in net. These two are a strength of the team. No worries in net.

Defense:

I like to use a term "pop" when it comes to a player taking a large step. Some never do, others do at different times. Kierstad did it last year, his game took a gigantic step. Guy like Poolman never really had his, but was really good right away his Freshman year. This was such a solid unit last year and I honestly believe when looking at the college hockey landscape, that they will be one of the best this year. When comparing to a unit like Duluth, I don't think they have any guys that will pop this year. That's not necessarily a bad thing, they had the best and will likely have one of the best units again. What UND has is an incredible Top End players and more importantly Top End Depth. Guys like JBD and JT given their pedigree and age are guys that most likely will "pop" this year. They'll be able to mix and match what I consider two true top end pairings between Poolman, Kierstad, JBD, JT and Bast. Peski is also very solid and will be the 6th guy. I'm hoping Frisch will be the 7th guy that will play most games. This defense will be so much fun to watch this year. 

If you look at Goaltending / Defense as one unit, I think they are a sure fire Top 5 combined unit next year.

Forwards:

This unit overall was terrible last year, but I think that will change this year. Michaud is such a unique case that we aren't used to. Getting a grad transfer that is a proven Top 6 guy in the NCHC, possibly CC's best forward at the end of the year. It's rare that you can bring someone in that can basically cancel the loss of Jones. 

Jones (1st line Center) / Michaud (1st line Center)

Gardner (2nd Line center / 3rd line center talent) / Pinto (2nd Line Center talent (as Freshman)

Hoff (Role player) / Blaisdell (Top 6 Forward)

JJ (Didn't player 2nd half) / Caulfield (3rd Line Forward)

The infusion of talent definitely outweighs what was lost last year. We're already starting out with a more talented roster. Then I look at guys that return. Kawaguchi, we know what to expect, leading scorer last year. Mismash, was injured the 2nd half of the year, being fully healthy is a Top line guy. Weatherby / Adams have talent and can't possibly have point production as low, could both pop. 

Mismash / Pinto / Kawaguchi -- Put Pinto with two upperclassman

Blaisdell / Michaud / Adams -- Senior in the middle of two talented players

Caulfield / Weatherby / Hain

Smith / Senden / Bowen

I like that forward lineup and forward group. 

Overall:

This team will be back in the NCAAs this year, not only that, I think they have a very high ceiling this year. I really, really like this team.

Great write up. I appreciate the effort put into this.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Heck, why not keep the Senden, Hein, Smith line in tact? They seemed effective last year. 

The only reason I'd break that line up is to give Hain a look in a top 6-9 role.  I think he could be a heck of a college hockey player, I'd give him a chance to produce offensively.  If he's not keeping up, you know you could move him  back down and that line is tough to play against.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The only reason I'd break that line up is to give Hain a look in a top 6-9 role.  I think he could be a heck of a college hockey player, I'd give him a chance to produce offensively.  If he's not keeping up, you know you could move him  back down and that line is tough to play against.

Agreed. He was cutting his teeth, time to test his ceiling.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Hain was a beast towards the end of last year, he made a couple drives to the net that looked like a skilled upper classman.

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Beat me to it. We'll definitely see Hain with a shot at a Top 6 role.

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Forgive my jersey-heathen-ness, but other than an Adidas logo and take a border here, add a stripe there, ... um ... ? 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Forgive my jersey-heathen-ness, but other than an Adidas logo and take a border here, add a stripe there, ... um ... ? 

I think the only change of significance was no more laces as well as the removal of the shoulder yoke on the black sweaters. 

Does anyone know what Carson Albrecht might bring to the team? Does not sound like he is expected to crack the lineup anytime early in the season. Any way to compare his ability to guys that played in more skilled league? Coaches must have seen something in him.