SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

16 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I like the optimism by some on here, but honestly, I'm hopeful that this team is above .500 in the NCHC and they can make the NCAA playoffs.  This is a program with all the advantages, including the best fans/facility in college hockey, we should be seeing better results than what is listed below.

UND's record in conference play after Berry's 1st year and the "natty":

2016-17:  11-12-1

2017-18:  8-10-6

2018-19:  12-11-1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Gross

Certainly not thinking we shouldn't do better, but the NCHC obviously has something to do with this. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Certainly not thinking we shouldn't do better, but the NCHC obviously has something to do with this. 

Oh yeah, the NCHC is a meat grinder obviously.  But, here are the records the other years.  Just would like them to get a little closer to this.  We shall see. 

2013-14:  24-15-9  NCHC runner up

2014-15:  16-6-2  NCHC Champs

2015-16:  19-4-1  NCHC Champs and Natty Champs

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We're under .500 in conference play over the past 3 years.  In that same period, SCSU went 45-19-8 in conference reg season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Oh yeah, the NCHC is a meat grinder obviously.  But, here are the records the other years.  Just would like them to get a little closer to this.  We shall see. 

2013-14:  24-15-9  NCHC runner up

2014-15:  16-6-2  NCHC Champs

2015-16:  19-4-1  NCHC Champs and Natty Champs

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

We're under .500 in conference play over the past 3 years.  In that same period, SCSU went 45-19-8 in conference reg season.

Again, certainly not saying we shouldn't/can do better, but SCSU and Duluth had likely their best three-year run in their program's histories. Hopefully we just ran into them at the wrong time. DU also had two outstanding teams in there and a national championship. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, certainly not saying we shouldn't/can do better, but SCSU and Duluth had likely their best three-year run in their program's histories. Hopefully we just ran into them at the wrong time. DU also had two outstanding teams in there and a national championship. 

No more excuses.  They need to do better.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No more excuses.  They need to do better.

Saying things happen isn't an excuse. Simply pointing out facts. All things have to align to win a natty. Kind of why we went 16 years between them. Pointing out that other good teams are in our conference that are trying to achieve the same goal isn't an excuse. 

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Saying things happen isn't an excuse. Simply pointing out facts. All things have to align to win a natty. Kind of why we went 16 years between them. Pointing out that other good teams are in our conference that are trying to achieve the same goal isn't an excuse. 

If the excuse is "We can't win because these other teams are really good," then we've got major problems.  UND needs to be the really good team.  They're spending way too much money not to be.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

If the excuse is "We can't win because these other teams are really good," then we've got major problems.  UND needs to be the really good team.  They're spending way too much money not to be.

Again, not just "really good"... historically the best they've ever had. 2015-16 and the lead up to that title were one of the best runs we've ever had and we won a title. See where I'm coming from? 

The point isn't "we can't win because these other teams are really good", it's because they've never been that good and that's why they beat us.

It won't continue. It doesn't for any team, forever. I'm hoping our success is going to come back starting this year and lasts a really long time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I like the optimism by some on here, but honestly, I'm hopeful that this team is above .500 in the NCHC and they can make the NCAA playoffs.  This is a program with all the advantages, including the best fans/facility in college hockey, we should be seeing better results than what is listed below.

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I am going to give props to @stoneySIOUX sometimes other teams are going to have remarkable seasons. It is what it is. I also predict that UND make some noise this season. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Goon said:

I am going to give props to @stoneySIOUX sometimes other teams are going to have remarkable seasons. It is what it is. I also predict that UND make some noise this season. 

Did we under perform, especially in the goal scoring department the past two seasons? Absolutely. However, with poor scoring, we were a bubble NCAA team. So, we get more scoring, we get back to where we want to be, right?

I see nothing wrong with saying that other teams have been better than us the past two or three seasons. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Did we under perform, especially in the goal scoring department the past two seasons? Absolutely. However, with poor scoring, we were a bubble NCAA team. So, we get more scoring, we get back to where we want to be, right?

I see nothing wrong with saying that other teams have been better than us the past two or three seasons. 

I agree 100%, last year was one of the least exciting seasons of hockey to watch since the 2001-02 season. I think UND wunderperformed and should motivated to get back to respectability. 

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I agree 100%, last year was one of the least exciting seasons of hockey to watch since the 2001-02 season. I think UND wunderperformed and should motivated to get back to respectability. 

I'm not so worried about their motivation. They know the standards. I think the level of execution and our overall goal scoring ability improves with another year of development and adding guys like Pinto, Michaud and Blaisdell.

Do other teams have good years?  Absolutely.  But it is totally unacceptable for St. Clown and Duluth to have consistently better programs than us.  There is absolutely no reason or excuse for this.  None.  I hope the changes being made return us to the top.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Irish said:

Do other teams have good years?  Absolutely.  But it is totally unacceptable for St. Clown and Duluth to have consistently better programs than us.  There is absolutely no reason or excuse for this.  None.  I hope the changes being made return us to the top.  

Your definition of "consistently" is the big problem, here. Three years is too small of a sample size. That's less than ONE graduating class. Kind of like our run 13-16 with 2 NCHC titles and a natty. That's not consistency. Making 15 straight tournaments is.

UND, on the other hand, has done this many times over the years of existence. Clown and UMD have not. I'm betting on our program to turn it back to our standards. 

Call it what you want, but down "stretches" happen just like up ones do. Why is it totally unacceptable? Because we're mighty UND and they have to lie down for us? I feel like there's the misguided belief that just because UND is who they are, we ALWAYS get the best players, we ALWAYS the right mix of talent, we ALWAYS get all the breaks. No. Duluth and Clown have had a good run and it's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact. We haven't played well enough and up to their level. Simple as that. They have good enough coaches and resources, too. 

I hope that changes, starting this season.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It was nerve-racking. 

It's hard enough to watch the first/last minute of period with those guys; it turned out you had to fret the first minute after a goal too. 

Never thought of it that way, but you're right.  After a goal you're supposed to be riding Big Mo, not battening the hatches. 

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Your definition of "consistently" is the big problem, here. Three years is too small of a sample size. That's less than ONE graduating class. Kind of like our run 13-16 with 2 NCHC titles and a natty. That's not consistency. Making 15 straight tournaments is.

UND, on the other hand, has done this many times over the years of existence. Clown and UMD have not. I'm betting on our program to turn it back to our standards. 

Call it what you want, but down "stretches" happen just like up ones do. Why is it totally unacceptable? Because we're mighty UND and they have to lie down for us? I feel like there's the misguided belief that just because UND is who they are, we ALWAYS get the best players, we ALWAYS the right mix of talent, we ALWAYS get all the breaks. No. Duluth and Clown have had a good run and it's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact.  

I agree that 3 years is a small sample.  However, if we don't get our act together this year it could easily extend to 4 then 5 years which is getting much more significant.  And no, we can't just show up and get all the players we want.  However, we can sell the fact that we have the best arena, lead the nation in attendance, have fans that travel like no other fan base, have top notch training facilities, have 8 National Titles, and have a history of consistently developing NHL ready talent as shown by the number of our alumni in the league.  Given those factors the lack of scoring last year is troubling.  Having said that, I like the talent we have coming in and love our returning D and goalies.  I also love adding Karl as a coach.  I look for a great year.  I am very curious, however, as to what changes Berry is making to bring us back to the top.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree that 3 years is a small sample.  However, if we don't get our act together this year it could easily extend to 4 then 5 years which is getting much more significant.  And no, we can't just show up and get all the players we want.  However, we can sell the fact that we have the best arena, lead the nation in attendance, have fans that travel like no other fan base, have top notch training facilities, have 8 National Titles, and have a history of consistently developing NHL ready talent as shown by the number of our alumni in the league.  Given those factors the lack of scoring last year is troubling.  Having said that, I like the talent we have coming in and love our returning D and goalies.  I also love adding Karl as a coach.  I look for a great year.  I am very curious, however, as to what changes Berry is making to bring us back to the top.  

The changes that I was speaking to aren't huge in terms of I don't know if we've changed power play systems, offensive strategies, in-game planning, etc. I'd be surprised if we made wholesale changes to that kind of stuff. The changes I'm referring to are more subtle and are minute in nature, but could help psychologically. How the team conducts its business, so to say. Don't overthink this haha. They are little things, but again, it shows me that Bubbs took a hard look at this program top to bottom and I like that. 

We can sell all of those things and kids still have their own decision to make. Not every kid needs the most fans in the arena or a plethora of natties. St. Cloud and UMD have found their niche of players recently that has brought them success just like we have MANY times over the years. I'm hoping the beginning of our new core is there now.

Yes! Love having Goehring back. Think it was a phenomenal move. I've taken this to the bank over the past few years, been saying it for two years now, that I think our scoring improves starting this season. I like the additions a lot. 

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, not just "really good"... historically the best they've ever had. 2015-16 and the lead up to that title were one of the best runs we've ever had and we won a title. See where I'm coming from? 

The point isn't "we can't win because these other teams are really good", it's because they've never been that good and that's why they beat us.

It won't continue. It doesn't for any team, forever. I'm hoping our success is going to come back starting this year and lasts a really long time. 

None of the NCHC teams are ‘bad’, look at the noncon records. Even in the down years sweeping any team ‘round here is tough. Even the bottom 4, for want of that 1 or 2 in the top 6, or 1 or 2 on the back line are competing for home ice. A shut down goal tender (Leclarc!) makes a bottom dweller dangerous with a one goal lead in the 3rd. This year will be interesting, lots of freshmen all around. Who gels quickest?

1 hour ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

None of the NCHC teams are ‘bad’, look at the noncon records. Even in the down years sweeping any team ‘round here is tough. Even the bottom 4, for want of that 1 or 2 in the top 6, or 1 or 2 on the back line are competing for home ice. A shut down goal tender (Leclarc!) makes a bottom dweller dangerous with a one goal lead in the 3rd. This year will be interesting, lots of freshmen all around. Who gels quickest?

I've heard that Pinto is clearly the best freshman, not surprisingly. Said he was looking like he fit right in before he left for the WJC showcase. Should be an immediate contributor.

I'm very hopeful this season. I think we can replace our lost scoring and make a jump there, easily. Coupling that with a really, really good d-corps and Scheel could be really fun. As far as I'm concerned, I think Scheel was our best player last year. He was absolutely dominant for a huge stretch last year.

20 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Jeez...not good.

All this talk about changes in philosophy and culture and stuff but what I really want to know is, does the team need some new warm up music??? -I didn’t get to a UND home game last season so can anyone comment on the genre and quality of tunes played during warm ups? 

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

All this talk about changes in philosophy and culture and stuff but what I really want to know is, does the team need some new warm up music??? -I didn’t get to a UND home game last season so can anyone comment on the genre and quality of tunes played during warm ups? 

Yes. :lol: I cannot recall specifics but I feel like there was a lot of EDM.

Luckily every year they get a chance to redeem themselves. 

• Upvote 1