SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

I like how the coaches pulled his letter of intent. You show that you aren’t 100% committed to this program, we don’t want you here. Give that scholly to someone who no doubt wants to be here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, crb1 said:

I like how the coaches pulled his letter of intent. You show that you aren’t 100% committed to this program, we don’t want you here. Give that scholly to someone who no doubt wants to be here. 

I think it shows a lot that the kid wasn't drafted.  Number four ranked NA goalie and you don't even end up as a late round insurance pick?  

Best of luck to the kid, sounds like he may be headed to Canada. 

A big year coming up in many ways.  So far I like what Berry is doing.  Karl will be a huge asset and not just with the goalies.  We seriously need a successful season - and not just to keep the fan base happy.  We need to re-establish our brand nationally as a program where top talent can go and develop into NHL ready players.  We absolutely can't afford to be seen as the place where offense goes to die.  I know we need a mix but our past Blue Chippers contributed greatly to our program.  We certainly are due for some good luck and hopefully some stud commits.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It was encouraging to see Stratton commit since it seemed NCAA was loosening their ridiculous stance against MJ. Too bad they apparently reneged.  I love college hockey, but absolutely despise the governing body that is the NCAA.

Read the article. He played 45 games in the WHL, which is more than anyone else who then attempted to play in the NCAA. The penalty was unknown but apparently has been deemed too severe. They initial thought it would be a year and seven games. If it was going to be significantly more than that, it's likely more than half his college career. Why play in the NCAA if you can't actually play?

23 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Read the article. He played 45 games in the WHL, which is more than anyone else who then attempted to play in the NCAA. The penalty was unknown but apparently has been deemed too severe. They initial thought it would be a year and seven games. If it was going to be significantly more than that, it's likely more than half his college career. Why play in the NCAA if you can't actually play?

I’m more curious why the penalty changed. He committed last summer, and the NCAA told him 1 year, 7 games. A year later the NCAA changed it, when I’m curious what  additional info would have changed the penalty. Should have given him more accurate information in the first place if you ask me. Tough break. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m more curious why the penalty changed. He committed last summer, and the NCAA told him 1 year, 7 games. A year later the NCAA changed it, when I’m curious what  additional info would have changed the penalty. Should have given him more accurate information in the first place if you ask me. Tough break. 

I'm guessing somebody from another university may have complained....:whistling:

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 11:05 AM, scpa0305 said:

What a mess.

Disagree. 

Rowe was never here and is far enough out that it's easily recovered. 
Stratton never seemed real -- the NCAA giving mercy to a guy with 41 MJ games in his career? 
The Keane thing is strange but better to find out now than when you think you have him one more season and you don't. 

All of these are cases where there is time to rearrange the long-term planning. 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Disagree. 

Stratton never seemed real -- the NCAA giving mercy to a guy with 41 MJ games in his career? 
The Keane thing is strange but better to find out now than when you think you have him one more season and you don't. 

• Rowe: This loss is still wait and see, Scheel's numbers weren't stellar coming out of the NTDP, before a spectacular season in Penticton and we all saw him last year. I bring up Scheel, because Rowe's numbers at the NTDP were awful. Can he rebound like Scheel? We'll see.
  • Keane: I wouldn't have said it last year, based on his numbers in Juniors, but this is unfortunate. I could be way off here, but I think Keane is one of those ultimate locker room guys.
  • Stratton: Nothing against the guy, but given his numbers last years in the BCHL, I think this is a blessing.

1 hour ago, AJS said:
  • Rowe: This loss is still wait and see, Scheel's numbers weren't stellar coming out of the NTDP, before a spectacular season in Penticton and we all saw him last year. I bring up Scheel, because Rowe's numbers at the NTDP were awful. Can he rebound like Scheel? We'll see.
  • Keane: I wouldn't have said it last year, based on his numbers in Juniors, but this is unfortunate. I could be way off here, but I think Keane is one of those ultimate locker room guys.
  • Stratton: Nothing against the guy, but given his numbers last years in the BCHL, I think this is a blessing.

I'm not worried about our goalie situation at all, right now. I think with Scheeler's injury he'll likely be here three more years and unless something massive changes, at minimum, two. He played as well as any goaltender I've ever seen at UND last year. I'm disappointed about Rowe, but it sounded like he was never a for sure thing anyway. With that said, our D-corps is going to continue to be absolutely stocked for the next few seasons and pairing that with Scheel could lead to an impressive run defensively for our boys. Think 2015-16.

Sucks that we will only get Keane for three years. I agree with you and his locker room status.

Stratton. Meh, I agree with the numbers. Don't think there was a very high ceiling there. It is what it is.

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Disagree. 

Oh sure, the team will be fine.  Was just a messy morning, as far as UND hockey news goes.

Re Stratton: His numbers weren't awful this year, but there was a pretty modest drop off in production from the year before (when he was at a PPG). I never really like the entire situation in the first place, a guy having to sit out an entire year and change, just seemed like a lot of extra work. I'm happy there's a spot open, either for another recruit or to alleviate the log jam of recruits a little.

I am always puzzled at the judgement of others that the community here imposes...   Isn't there some saying about past results may not indicate future returns, of course is all we have is a stat line, then there you go...  Seems to me there is so much more to it....   Didn't Boeser and Wilkie both have a great stat line in their last year of juniors?

15 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am always puzzled at the judgement of others that the community here imposes...   Isn't there some saying about past results may not indicate future returns, of course is all we have is a stat line, then there you go...  Seems to me there is so much more to it....   Didn't Boeser and Wilkie both have a great stat line in their last year of juniors?

Fair, but Stratton is neither of those types of prospects. I don't think it's "good" that Stratton isn't coming, I just don't see it as a big problem.

16 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

It is funny, as some have stated most people were thinking and/or hoping that Keane wouldn't come in, and now wish he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility.  Don't think a lot of people were screaming for Senden to come in before Huber backed out either.  

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

It is funny, as some have stated most people were thinking and/or hoping that Keane wouldn't come in, and now wish he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility.  Don't think a lot of people were screaming for Senden to come in before Huber backed out either.  

exactly...   I love gritty players that give there all and I see that in Keane & Senden.   But I also realize that I only see a bit of things, especially on the recruit and commitment players.   Where on their path are they?  I trust the coaching staff to be on top of it, and know they are way ahead of my ability to evaluate talent.