Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

I understand that. But the B1G gets nothing from regular season ticket sales though so I'm not sure where your "double whammy" comes in.

"Double whammy" usually means two negatives. I believe BarnWinter meant it as two positives though.

The university gets ticket money even when they don't show up and the Big Ten Network gets increased viewership if they stay home and watch the game instead.

Which in turn means....

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

BTN - Hockey is televised by the B1G, creates revenue for it's members.

Increased viewership in BTN means bigger payments to Big Ten schools. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a tree falls in Mariucci Arena on a Friday night during hockey season, how many people actually heard it fall? :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

If a tree falls in Mariucci Arena on a Friday night during hockey season, how many people actually heard it fall? :D

I'll agree Fridays have been pretty weak at Mariucci. 

I sit by the press box above the Hawks bench, get a good view of butts in seats; usually less than the attendance numbers. I've posted some game pics of butts in seats here. The Ralph had a lot of no shows itself this year. Mostly in upper sections and then the student section is failing us. Need to move them to a corner instead of the middle of the rink.

I dropped some of my season tickets because they were difficult to sell even at reduced prices this last season - when we couldn't make games. Gave away some weekends of tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
DATE: 2/9/2019
 
START: 7:17 pm
 
TIME: 2:28
 
ATTENDANCE: 15,359
 
LOCATION: at Madison, Wis. vs. Ohio State
 
OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

Is that the game where they sold tickets for $1?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Is that the game where they sold tickets for $1?

They retired Mark Johnson's jersey that night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff about Pinto from Brad today:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/2320615-NHL-DRAFT-Shane-Pinto-may-be-the-guy-to-watch-in-UNDs-rookie-class

Love the quote below. Sounds like he gets it:

Pinto's versatility means that he's not penciled into any spot in the lineup this season. He's completely OK with that.

"Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes," he said. "Whatever they want me to play, I'll do it. I'm not going to worry whether it's top six or bottom six. I'm going to have an open mind. I'm going to try my best, I'm going to work hard and go from there."

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I'll agree Fridays have been pretty weak at Mariucci. 

I sit by the press box above the Hawks bench, get a good view of butts in seats; usually less than the attendance numbers. I've posted some game pics of butts in seats here. The Ralph had a lot of no shows itself this year. Mostly in upper sections and then the student section is failing us. Need to move them to a corner instead of the middle of the rink.

I dropped some of my season tickets because they were difficult to sell even at reduced prices this last season - when we couldn't make games. Gave away some weekends of tickets.

It's almost like less people are showing up because the team is not as good as it has been traditionally in the past!! I wonder what will happen if we are ranked in the top 5 nationally midway through the season!! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's almost like less people are showing up because the team is not as good as it has been traditionally in the past!!

tumblr_m74mugCgSj1r51ljw.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, as much as I hate the Goofs, it is sad to see what has happened to them since realignment. It is more fun to hate on (and beat) a team that is good and contending for titles.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather the Gophers not be good.
That said, we haven't been really contending for titles either since the 2016 trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's almost like less people are showing up because the team is not as good as it has been traditionally in the past!! I wonder what will happen if we are ranked in the top 5 nationally midway through the season!! ;)

I would agree at The Ralph, not winning as much has it's lower fan enthusiasm side effects. Top 5 team should help butts in seats numbers to be close to attendance and keep attendance close to a full house.

And, on the flip side, what about butts in seats if we are a top 25 team midway through the season? At the end of the season that would be like 10 spots from making the NCAA tourney cut because of auto bid/s.

Reminder: Attendance #'s in box score are tickets sold, butts in seats #'s are tickets scanned at the gate and not generally made public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
DATE: 2/9/2019
 
START: 7:17 pm
 
TIME: 2:28
 
ATTENDANCE: 15,359
 
LOCATION: at Madison, Wis. vs. Ohio State
 
OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

 

19 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Is that the game where they sold tickets for $1?

More like: 

$1 out of each ticket went to support women's hockey.

The balance of $49 per ticket and an average of $18 per attendee towards concessions, parking, Badger gear, gaming, etc brought in over $1M that day.
$49+$18=$67*15,359 tickets=$1,029,053

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would agree at The Ralph, not winning as much has it's lower fan enthusiasm side effects. Top 5 team should help butts in seats numbers to be close to attendance and keep attendance close to a full house.

And, on the flip side, what about butts in seats if we are a top 25 team midway through the season? At the end of the season that would be like 10 spots from making the NCAA tourney cut because of auto bid/s.

Reminder: Attendance #'s in box score are tickets sold, butts in seats #'s are tickets scanned at the gate and not generally made public.

I am not so sure the minimal decreases compared to other teams is all about winning.  I think it is more about the product not being as exciting.   A lot of Hakstol's teams were hovering around .500 midway through the season, but attendance was pretty consistent.  Hopefully the excitement comes back this year which leads to better attendance ...  and winning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good stuff about Pinto from Brad today:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/2320615-NHL-DRAFT-Shane-Pinto-may-be-the-guy-to-watch-in-UNDs-rookie-class

Love the quote below. Sounds like he gets it:

Pinto's versatility means that he's not penciled into any spot in the lineup this season. He's completely OK with that.

"Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes," he said. "Whatever they want me to play, I'll do it. I'm not going to worry whether it's top six or bottom six. I'm going to have an open mind. I'm going to try my best, I'm going to work hard and go from there."

About to post the same thing Stoney, can't wait to see this kid light it up. He has the exact mentality we need from freshies coming in. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it's been posted, but Pinto headed to World Junior showcase this summer too.  Think we may have a player......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, 90siouxfan said:

Seems like someone needs to develop a "butts in the seats" app to clear up all this drama....

Does the size of the butt in each seat make a difference at all?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Brad posted a consolidated listing of which current players/commits are attending NHL development camps?  I know other team are starting to post theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattim said:

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

Trying to get Brett Murray is the only reasonable explanation. He was supposed to go to Miami but decommitted and has yet to pick a school. Might just sign with the Sabres though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mattim said:

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

I wanna say Haviland carried 30 guys on the roster last season. Not sure what the NCAA limit is, if there is one, but not a bad idea to carry a few extra non-scholarship guys in case of injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I wanna say Haviland carried 30 guys on the roster last season. Not sure what the NCAA limit is, if there is one, but not a bad idea to carry a few extra non-scholarship guys in case of injuries. 

ASU carries more then normal also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 8:10 AM, mattim said:

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

Sound like there's possibly one final "decision" to be made. Not a last minute recruit. Albrecht was always coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...