SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

52 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

If a tree falls in Mariucci Arena on a Friday night during hockey season, how many people actually heard it fall? :D

I'll agree Fridays have been pretty weak at Mariucci. 

I sit by the press box above the Hawks bench, get a good view of butts in seats; usually less than the attendance numbers. I've posted some game pics of butts in seats here. The Ralph had a lot of no shows itself this year. Mostly in upper sections and then the student section is failing us. Need to move them to a corner instead of the middle of the rink.

I dropped some of my season tickets because they were difficult to sell even at reduced prices this last season - when we couldn't make games. Gave away some weekends of tickets.

23 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
DATE: 2/9/2019

START: 7:17 pm

TIME: 2:28

ATTENDANCE: 15,359

OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

Is that the game where they sold tickets for $1?

• Upvote 1

Good stuff about Pinto from Brad today:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/2320615-NHL-DRAFT-Shane-Pinto-may-be-the-guy-to-watch-in-UNDs-rookie-class

Love the quote below. Sounds like he gets it:

Pinto's versatility means that he's not penciled into any spot in the lineup this season. He's completely OK with that.

"Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes," he said. "Whatever they want me to play, I'll do it. I'm not going to worry whether it's top six or bottom six. I'm going to have an open mind. I'm going to try my best, I'm going to work hard and go from there."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I'll agree Fridays have been pretty weak at Mariucci. 

I sit by the press box above the Hawks bench, get a good view of butts in seats; usually less than the attendance numbers. I've posted some game pics of butts in seats here. The Ralph had a lot of no shows itself this year. Mostly in upper sections and then the student section is failing us. Need to move them to a corner instead of the middle of the rink.

I dropped some of my season tickets because they were difficult to sell even at reduced prices this last season - when we couldn't make games. Gave away some weekends of tickets.

It's almost like less people are showing up because the team is not as good as it has been traditionally in the past!! I wonder what will happen if we are ranked in the top 5 nationally midway through the season!! ;)

16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's almost like less people are showing up because the team is not as good as it has been traditionally in the past!! I wonder what will happen if we are ranked in the top 5 nationally midway through the season!! ;)

I would agree at The Ralph, not winning as much has it's lower fan enthusiasm side effects. Top 5 team should help butts in seats numbers to be close to attendance and keep attendance close to a full house.

And, on the flip side, what about butts in seats if we are a top 25 team midway through the season? At the end of the season that would be like 10 spots from making the NCAA tourney cut because of auto bid/s.

Reminder: Attendance #'s in box score are tickets sold, butts in seats #'s are tickets scanned at the gate and not generally made public.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
DATE: 2/9/2019

START: 7:17 pm

TIME: 2:28

ATTENDANCE: 15,359

OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

19 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Is that the game where they sold tickets for $1?

More like: 

$1 out of each ticket went to support women's hockey.

The balance of $49 per ticket and an average of $18 per attendee towards concessions, parking, Badger gear, gaming, etc brought in over $1M that day.
$49+$18=$67*15,359 tickets=$1,029,053

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would agree at The Ralph, not winning as much has it's lower fan enthusiasm side effects. Top 5 team should help butts in seats numbers to be close to attendance and keep attendance close to a full house.

And, on the flip side, what about butts in seats if we are a top 25 team midway through the season? At the end of the season that would be like 10 spots from making the NCAA tourney cut because of auto bid/s.

Reminder: Attendance #'s in box score are tickets sold, butts in seats #'s are tickets scanned at the gate and not generally made public.

I am not so sure the minimal decreases compared to other teams is all about winning.  I think it is more about the product not being as exciting.   A lot of Hakstol's teams were hovering around .500 midway through the season, but attendance was pretty consistent.  Hopefully the excitement comes back this year which leads to better attendance ...  and winning!

21 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good stuff about Pinto from Brad today:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/2320615-NHL-DRAFT-Shane-Pinto-may-be-the-guy-to-watch-in-UNDs-rookie-class

Love the quote below. Sounds like he gets it:

Pinto's versatility means that he's not penciled into any spot in the lineup this season. He's completely OK with that.

"Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes," he said. "Whatever they want me to play, I'll do it. I'm not going to worry whether it's top six or bottom six. I'm going to have an open mind. I'm going to try my best, I'm going to work hard and go from there."

About to post the same thing Stoney, can't wait to see this kid light it up. He has the exact mentality we need from freshies coming in. 

• Upvote 2

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

1 hour ago, mattim said:

Does anyone have an idea why Berry has not made his roster official? Is there some potential last minute recruit we don’t know about? It would appear obvious that there are 5 spots open, 4 F and 1 D, so why wait? Could there be anyone but Blaisdell, Pinto, Cuafield, Michaud as forwards and Frisch as the D man? Would they carry an extra player since they can dress one more and have had so many injuries the past few years? Does any other team carry more than 23 skaters on their roster?  

Trying to get Brett Murray is the only reasonable explanation. He was supposed to go to Miami but decommitted and has yet to pick a school. Might just sign with the Sabres though.

6 hours ago, mattim said:

I wanna say Haviland carried 30 guys on the roster last season. Not sure what the NCAA limit is, if there is one, but not a bad idea to carry a few extra non-scholarship guys in case of injuries. 

20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I wanna say Haviland carried 30 guys on the roster last season. Not sure what the NCAA limit is, if there is one, but not a bad idea to carry a few extra non-scholarship guys in case of injuries. 

ASU carries more then normal also

On 6/29/2019 at 8:10 AM, mattim said:

Sound like there's possibly one final "decision" to be made. Not a last minute recruit. Albrecht was always coming in.