SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Retractable roof plus an artificial snow maker for lower bowl comfort.
Anyone remember the Barn and how the frost would fall off of the inside of the roof sometimes?

I certainly do - and the fog that would hang up among the rafters.  I would start by changing almost everything that comes over the PA system after the game starts.  How many times have you seen the crowd cheering a strong Sioux effort only to be silenced by blaring music or some inane ad or contest.  If they have enough money for a multi-million scoreboard then they could certainly forgo a bit of ad revenue during the game (looking at you, Steamatic).  I would also make an effort to coordinate cheers - get everyone in the sieve cheer for example - maybe by flashing the cheer on the new scoreboard.  And have the students develop some cheers from their section.  Remember the Farce - half the fun at games was their creativity.  Too much PA control by people who think corporate and do not know enough about the game.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

If you were King of Hockey, what would you change, impose, or otherwise decree to make REA the best fan experience in the college hockey kingdom? (Other than winning of course)

I want each deck (upper and lower)of seats to rotate around the rink. Slowly - maybe one rotation per period. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Irish said:

I certainly do - and the fog that would hang up among the rafters.  I would start by changing almost everything that comes over the PA system after the game starts.  How many times have you seen the crowd cheering a strong Sioux effort only to be silenced by blaring music or some inane ad or contest.  If they have enough money for a multi-million scoreboard then they could certainly forgo a bit of ad revenue during the game (looking at you, Steamatic).  I would also make an effort to coordinate cheers - get everyone in the sieve cheer for example - maybe by flashing the cheer on the new scoreboard.  And have the students develop some cheers from their section.  Remember the Farce - half the fun at games was their creativity.  Too much PA control by people who think corporate and do not know enough about the game.  

Agree 100%. Crowd chants are way more important than music. The person with the music button should be aware and never shut down a cheer. Music has a place but people come to be part of the game, not be forced to remain silent.  (No offense to our DJ friend)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

If you were King of Hockey, what would you change, impose, or otherwise decree to make REA the best fan experience in the college hockey kingdom? (Other than winning of course)

No cell phones allowed for anyone in the student section.

Absolutely agree about the cellphone use. When the REA boasted about their increased wireless connectivity a few years ago I groaned. I thought that they should put up a firewall to prohibit all wireless action. All the dolts that are slumped over on FB, instagram, snapchat, Get over yourselves, your not that important! Watch the friggin’ game! 

I also feel that there should be more pep band and a lot less canned music and cutesy video games. I feel that the students are the heart of the arena. The fan interaction drops dramatically when the artificial fun starts

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Snapping Snapchats at the game increases marketing exposure.

Thus, increased wireless connectivity increases attendance.

I guess I’m just in the dark and stupid. I thought people followed Sioux hockey and that they knew that there was a game. I don’t remember how I did it in the 80’s, but I guess that I just knew that there was a game to go to. Seemed like 6000 other people figured it out also. 

15 minutes ago, Tbone said:

I guess I’m just in the dark and stupid. I thought people followed Sioux hockey and that they knew that there was a game. I don’t remember how I did it in the 80’s, but I guess that I just knew that there was a game to go to. Seemed like 6000 other people figured it out also. 

The hardcore fans will always know. You need lots of casual fans to fill 11,000 seats in a town of 60,000.

A lot more competition for entertainment dollars today than the 80s. Hockey games (minus a handful) weren't even televised in the 80s let alone massive high definition tvs.

*Ban Cell phones, we have Mariucci North.

*For GAWD's sake TURN DOWN THE DAMN MUSIC.

*More band, less stop time music bits, its insanely bad and I fear they are going to go overboard this year to show off the new systems, i.e. scoreboard, video ribbon, production system.

*Cheap beer deal if up by 3 goals going into 3rd.

*Add a "tinder" component to the students who use the app and check in each game.

*Lose the smoke thingys.

*Allow dead animals, maybe limit it to a select few students, call it the Committee of Ice Tossings

*Students behind goalie

*LOVE the Pharce return idea

*new food options, Chipotle in the concessions?

*Elevated covered walkway to campus?

*More band.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

IMHO, Simba cam is waaay better received than the tired old kiss cam, at least in my section.  Your section may feel differently.  My point is, if you trot out all the same old stuff, it gets stale.  Even with how much better the race animation has been the last couple years, the Steamatic race still takes too long and only involves 3 sections out of 32 (plus suites).  

kiss cam is probably too problematic in todays day and age haha.

as far as my criticism of the simba cam, I has more to do with taking peoples attention away from the game on the ice, then the cam itself, I think its a fun thing. 

17 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

that's easy, less Ad runs, more music, less of that weird guy on the mic giving away something, more of him leading crowd chants.....the king has spoken

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

*More band, less stop time music bits, its insanely bad and I fear they are going to go overboard this year to show off the new systems, i.e. scoreboard, video ribbon, production system.

They would have been pretty safe on this one the past few seasons...how about cheaper beer if we score 3 goals?;)

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, CarpeRemote said:

Beyond what was already said, I'd host an alumni game during the off season. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Anyone know if CBSsports has released its NCAA hockey schedule yet? And do we know if the UND vs. Gophers games will be televised. 

Our friends at Gopher Puck Live show the games on 11/29-30.  UND athletics shows the games 11/28-29.  Something must have gotten moved at some point.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

*Add a "tinder" component to the students who use the app and check in each game.

*Lose the smoke thingys.

*Allow dead animals, maybe limit it to a select few students, call it the Committee of Ice Tossings

*Students behind goalie

*LOVE the Pharce return idea

*new food options, Chipotle in the concessions?

*Elevated covered walkway to campus?

*More band.

+1 x 12