SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 8/2/2019 at 2:47 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

I said this on another board, but I've heard we should expect to hear and see a lot of changes that this team/program has gone through/is going through, in the near future. Sounds like Bubbs took a real hard look at the program after last year. Maybe naming captains later is one of them?

This sounds great - any specifics on what changes are being made?  It isn't always easy to take a hard look at what you are doing and make changes - Good for Coach Berry.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

This sounds great - any specifics on what changes are being made?  It isn't always easy to take a hard look at what you are doing and make changes - Good for Coach Berry.

They've always preached hard work, but this year the players have to recited 50 times before they go to sleep:  " I will shoot the puck IN the goal."

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Never thought I'd live to see this, but probably a long time coming.

608578851_ScreenShot2019-08-05at11_18_25AM.png.a1a3b12d81a5da2a71ead4f2cbd23736.png

People think im crazy for it but I believe that there is a strong possibility that another missed playoff season brings us closer and closer to the pics we laugh at of empty B1G arenas.

In reality the economics and of sports apathy is something that we may not be imune to.

As for now i put the decline of demand on 2 factors.

1: Missing the tourney syndrome.

2: Super weak and uninteresting home opponents.

... and if I had to pick a 3rd... Saturation of Alternative social entertainment.

Personally, Im not really interested in spending money on tickets to see the types of teams coming in this year. Certainly dont want to watch piss poor effort tie and drop games to them like last year.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

People think im crazy for it but I believe that there is a strong possibility that another missed playoff season brings us closer and closer to the pics we laugh at of empty B1G arenas.

In reality the economics and of sports apathy is something that we may not be imune to.

... and if I had to pick a 3rd... Saturation of Alternative social entertainment.

Personally, Im not really interested in spending money on tickets to see the types of teams coming in this year. Certainly dont want to watch piss poor effort tie and drop games to them like last year.

Price of the ticket may be a factor as well...last time I bought a single game ticket it was $40 for the upper deck.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Don't forget the availability of high quality, low cost TV and streaming coverage. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Easier for people at a distance to get to Saturday games so they are premium. 
It's hard to be 80-100 miles away and get to a Friday night game after work. 

I book it out of town after work to make Friday games from Fargo because they are cheaper. :lol:

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Price of the ticket may be a factor as well...last time I bought a single game ticket it was $40 for the upper deck.

I agree about both cost as well as low cost streaming alternatives such as NCHC.tv. 

My wife and I have been CC season ticket holders for several years now and plan to continue to renew our tickets after the new Robson Arena opens up, with one caveat...we fully expect the ticket prices to go up, that’s a given but we have our limits and if they price gauge the fans, we are willing to drop our season tickets. Our patience is already running thin given the poor quality of the product on the ice under Haviland’s watch but given its only going to seat about 3,000 people, and the new, “wow” factor driving interest, demand should be high, at least for a season or two.

I could see if the product on the ice at the Ralph continues to stagnate that even UND fans will walk, especially given the higher ticket prices relative to other programs. We have the NCHC.tv subscription and are perfectly content watching the CC games from there (although nothing can compare to live, in-person game experiences) or attending AF games. Point being, programs should learn from the mistakes of others (U of M for example) by recognizing the value and importance of its loyal fan base.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, Irish said:

Keep an eye out. That's all I'll say. It's all good stuff. 

19 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The huge difference between and Grand Forks and the cities in which those B1G arenas are? Options. UND hockey is much more woven into the fabric of what people do on a winter Friday and Saturday night. 

57 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Keep an eye out. That's all I'll say. It's all good stuff. 

Clearly you are going to drop the "big changes" message here without giving any more details.  I hope they are much more than cosmetic.  I don't care that much how we select Captains, what jerseys we wear (within reason), or how we warm up and to what music.  I do care that we will stop giving up 2 goal leads, stop giving up goals within a minute of scoring, have a better than 15% power play, up our recruiting, and bring back scoring to our program.  If these changes affect any of these areas then I am excited to see them.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Irish said:

Clearly you are going to drop the "big changes" message here without giving any more details.  I hope they are much more than cosmetic.  I don't care that much how we select Captains, what jerseys we wear (within reason), or how we warm up and to what music.  I do care that we will stop giving up 2 goal leads, stop giving up goals within a minute of scoring, have a better than 15% power play, up our recruiting, and bring back scoring to our program.  If these changes affect any of these areas then I am excited to see them.  

Sorry? 

Also, I never said they'd be "big", you did. But I guess that's subjective, anyway. 

I happen to think a lot of "little" changes could absolutely turn into something "big".

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish said:

It was amazing how often they did that.   I'm sure there are stats that show whether it was way out of the ordinary. 

58 minutes ago, burd said:

It was amazing how often they did that.   I'm sure there are stats that show whether it was way out of the ordinary. 

It was nerve-racking. 

It's hard enough to watch the first/last minute of period with those guys; it turned out you had to fret the first minute after a goal too. 

I like the optimism by some on here, but honestly, I'm hopeful that this team is above .500 in the NCHC and they can make the NCAA playoffs.  This is a program with all the advantages, including the best fans/facility in college hockey, we should be seeing better results than what is listed below.

UND's record in conference play after Berry's 1st year and the "natty":

2016-17:  11-12-1

2017-18:  8-10-6

2018-19:  12-11-1

• Upvote 2