SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yes. :lol: I cannot recall specifics but I feel like there was a lot of EDM.

Luckily every year they get a chance to redeem themselves. 

The powers that be probably wouldn’t let me play DJ.....there’d be a plethora of Godsmack, Ratt, Metallica, Disturbed, etc. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

The powers that be probably wouldn’t let me play DJ.....there’d be a plethora of Godsmack, Ratt, Metallica, Disturbed, etc. 

The players pick the warm up music so it depends what the seniors are into. I’m hoping this year’s senior class will steer music away from EDM to the more rock based genres. (But we’ll see). When I was in school (circa 2006-09) I feel like the vibe aligned closer with the bands you mentioned. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The players pick the warm up music so it depends what the seniors are into. I’m hoping this year’s senior class will steer music away from EDM to the more rock based genres. (But we’ll see). When I was in school (circa 2006-09) I feel like the vibe aligned closer with the bands you mentioned. 

How could you not get fired up for the game listening to Funeral Bell by Black Label Society?!?!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Ratt?! That felt like that came out of nowhere hahaha. Good call, though. I'm all in on you being the DJ, Godsmack haha.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ratt?! That felt like that came out of nowhere hahaha. Good call, though. I'm all in on you being the DJ, Godsmack haha.

Yah, part of me is stuck in the 2019’s (Chevelle, Disturbed, Like a Storm, etc.) and part of me is still stuck in the 80’s. :) 

On 8/6/2019 at 2:27 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, not just "really good"... historically the best they've ever had. 2015-16 and the lead up to that title were one of the best runs we've ever had and we won a title. See where I'm coming from? 

The point isn't "we can't win because these other teams are really good", it's because they've never been that good and that's why they beat us.

It won't continue. It doesn't for any team, forever. I'm hoping our success is going to come back starting this year and lasts a really long time. 

On 8/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, UNDBIZ said:

If the excuse is "We can't win because these other teams are really good," then we've got major problems.  UND needs to be the really good team.  They're spending way too much money not to be.

So did Cansius have a record good team? What about BSU? 

They may have had record good years, but we have been inconsistent at best the last 2 years.

That being said, I'm optimistic for this year and I'll cut the team some slack for the last few years given how close they were to making the playoffs, but Berry needs get things done this year. 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:30 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry? 

Also, I never said they'd be "big", you did. But I guess that's subjective, anyway. 

I happen to think a lot of "little" changes could absolutely turn into something "big".

Sorry if I came across as too critical.  I am just intensely curious as to what Berry is doing to snap us out of this slide.  Perhaps my curiosity got the best of me.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

So did Cansius have a record good team? What about BSU? 

They may have had record good years, but we have been inconsistent at best the last 2 years.

That being said, I'm optimistic for this year and I'll cut the team some slack for the last few years given how close they were to making the playoffs, but Berry needs get things done this year. 

The discussion was based around the NCHC standings. No one is arguing we should have swept Canisius. 

32 minutes ago, Irish said:

Sorry if I came across as too critical.  I am just intensely curious as to what Berry is doing to snap us out of this slide.  Perhaps my curiosity got the best of me.

I still feel, without a shadow of a doubt, our players, especially the forwards, are the ones that are going to get us out of the slide. I expect to see a great jump in scoring.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

My freshman year of college I actually saw Bon Jovi open up for Ratt at the Hyslop.

I was at that show too! Funny story-Bon Jovi was opening for Ratt and 6 months later, after Slippery When Wet came out, Ratt was the support act for Bon Jovi! I still have my guitar pick that Robbin Crosby tossed out to the crowd! But I digress....I better stop before someone tells me to take this conversation to a different thread! 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I was at that show too! Funny story-Bon Jovi was opening for Ratt and 6 months later, after Slippery When Wet came out, Ratt was the support act for Bon Jovi! I still have my guitar pick that Robbin Crosby tossed out to the crowd! But I digress....I better stop before someone tells me to take this conversation to a different thread! 

in regards to your name on this site.

quite a few years back, we were playing a softball tournament in Oakes and on Saturday night they had a street dance. The band was Buck Nekked or something like that. They were playing your standard cover tunes and toward the end of the night the lead singer says "alright here is some Godsmack by request"....I don't think there were 3 people there who had heard of them at the time.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Mine was OAR. I'd say you won this battle, although I enjoy OAR :D

Same here on OAR. That day our pre-party got busted...let off with a warning. Then us geniuses decided to continue the party after the concert...loud noise ordinance court date handed to us lol.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Same here on OAR. That day our pre-party got busted...let off with a warning. Then us geniuses decided to continue the party after the concert...loud noise ordinance court date handed to us lol.

Haha I'm well aware of how that noisy party ordinance works! 

My buddy took a digger off the bus before we got to the Alerus. From the top step. To the curb. It was pretty brutal, but he's good now :D

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Godsmack said:

I am the DJ/Announcer for the NAHL team in Minot, ND (we've had a few guys go NCHC...looking at you Jon Lizotte). I used to get people bitching to me about the music (songs and Volume) ALL the time. while it is IMPOSSIBE to please everybody, last year I adopted a system that actually worked, 1 country song - 1 hip-hop/rap song - 1 older rock song - 1 new rock song  then repeated that order most of the game. I of course used some song situationally to pump people up, or make them laugh. I however ALWAYS let the players pick the warm-up song list no matter what, its their time to get in the zone and get going. while it was a few EDM type songs they actually would throw in a few surprises. 

also another thing to think about is the age of these players, most of these kids were like 3 or 4 years old the last time godsmack was popular....they might not even know who they are haha

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sethhag said:

I am the DJ/Announcer for the NAHL team in Minot, ND (we've had a few guys go NCHC...looking at you Jon Lizotte). I used to get people bitching to me about the music (songs and Volume) ALL the time. while it is IMPOSSIBE to please everybody, last year I adopted a system that actually worked, 1 country song - 1 hip-hop/rap song - 1 older rock song - 1 new rock song  then repeated that order most of the game. I of course used some song situationally to pump people up, or make them laugh. I however ALWAYS let the players pick the warm-up song list no matter what, its their time to get in the zone and get going. while it was a few EDM type songs they actually would throw in a few surprises. 

also another thing to think about is the age of these players, most of these kids were like 3 or 4 years old the last time godsmack was popular....they might not even know who they are haha

Glad to hear you change it up and good point on the age of the players.

An observation and a couple questions:

I’ve found the insanely loud and constant music like we hear in several arenas is not only painful but has the unintended consequence of taking out the crowd by shutting down all spontaneous cheers/chants.

Season ticket holders and regulars at Nationwide wear earplugs and would like to catch the DJ alone :).

When the music starts everyone sits down.  

To be fair I haven’t been to a UND game in 4 yrs but I feel fortunate to get a DJ’s opinion: what do you think about recorded music vs a college band? What would happen with the crowd and atmosphere  if recorded music (except for warm ups and limited situations) wasn’t used at UND? 

TIA for a response  

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

Glad to hear you change it up and good point on the age of the players.

An observation and a couple questions:

I’ve found the insanely loud and constant music like we hear in several arenas is not only painful but has the unintended consequence of taking out the crowd by shutting down all spontaneous cheers/chants.

Season ticket holders and regulars at Nationwide wear earplugs and would like to catch the DJ alone :).

When the music starts everyone sits down.  

To be fair I haven’t been to a UND game in 4 yrs but I feel fortunate to get a DJ’s opinion: what do you think about recorded music vs a college band? What would happen with the crowd and atmosphere  if recorded music (except for warm ups and limited situations) wasn’t used at UND? 

TIA for a response  

I've found loud music to be a common complaint I get. fist off it depends on the acoustics of the rink, and the quality of the sound system. so most standard rinks blasting music, sounds awful and does hurt the ears. Minot has just recently built a new rink with a great sound system so it has gotten better, however I've noticed that going louder at warm-ups is fine as people are still getting settled. I do however use a trick for volume during the game, I generally keep the music lower in the 1st period, then increase it a bit in the 2nd, and if its a close game I will increase it more in the 3rd. by the time the 3rd period comes around you have basically got peoples ears to adapt and they don't notice the volume icrease, and if its an intense game they actually cheer louder with the music I play and it creates atmosphere.

as far as live band vs. recorded music. I have been a season ticket holder at UND since 2001 (thanks pops) I've noticed the atmosphere in the ralph slowly start to resemble a funeral at times, and it has everything to do with the lack of recorded popular music, they play waaaayyyy to many adds (gotta pay bills I guess) and do too many special things (looking at you simba cam) that basically take away from the atmosphere IMO (I know this may be an unpopular opinion) I like the live band at the games, I think a little less of them, a little less of the extras, and a little more pump up music is the right recipe

Edited by sethhag
spelling
  • Upvote 3

On 8/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, sethhag said:

Well, Godsmack sold out the 20,000 seat Pepsi Center last August so I think they’re still a draw but point taken, these kids are into their thing. I don’t even know what the hell EDM is or stands for?!

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Well, Godsmack sold out the 20,000 seat Pepsi Center last August so I think they’re still a draw but point taken, these kids are into their thing. I don’t even know what the hell EDM is or stands for?!

Electronic Dance Music...might as well be Erectile Dysfunction Muthaf-cker.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, sethhag said:

...too many special things (looking at you simba cam) ...

IMHO, Simba cam is waaay better received than the tired old kiss cam, at least in my section.  Your section may feel differently.  My point is, if you trot out all the same old stuff, it gets stale.  Even with how much better the race animation has been the last couple years, the Steamatic race still takes too long and only involves 3 sections out of 32 (plus suites).  

2 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

If you were King of Hockey, what would you change, impose, or otherwise decree to make REA the best fan experience in the college hockey kingdom? (Other than winning of course)

Retractable roof plus an artificial snow maker for lower bowl comfort.
Anyone remember the Barn and how the frost would fall off of the inside of the roof sometimes?

• Upvote 1