SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 7/21/2019 at 10:45 PM, Godsmack said:

Heck, why not keep the Senden, Hein, Smith line in tact? They seemed effective last year. 

Totally, why I put Smith in the complement category with them.  I also like the thinking that Hain might be able to move to a different, more offensive role.

In the lines of the new sweaters, does anyone know if they’ll be adding decals to their buckets? To my knowledge, UND is the only team in the conference w/o stickers. Yah, I know, I’m kindof getting nit picky here but...

18 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Captains announced:

Pooly - C
Smith - A
Kawaguchi - A
Kierstad - A

I was a little bummed to see Senden not get one, but hard to argue with any of these guys, IMO.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/8/1/mens-hockey-captain-group-named-for-2019-20-season.aspx

Senden will be there in due time.  Nice group though.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Gooch needs to take the bull by the horns now and break out.  Your team sees you as a leader, now go out and be a point per game type player.

Guch is going to have a big year I think.  Get him the right linemates and they'll all go off.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

The A is junior year  then the C his senior year 

I think he could absolutely wear the C next year. Colton jumped from his Soph year right into the C.

I think it's more likely he wear an A next year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's the C.

In Schlossman’s story in the Herald today, Berry was quoted as saying that they delayed the vote until later than in years past so that all the players had a body of work with which to judge, especially the freshmen. I didn’t know that incoming freshmen got to vote for the captains. Interesting. 

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

In Schlossman’s story in the Herald today, Berry was quoted as saying that they delayed the vote until later than in years past so that all the players had a body of work with which to judge, especially the freshmen. I didn’t know that incoming freshmen got to vote for the captains. Interesting. 

I LOVE that. Immediately gets them involved and embrace them. Helped with Michaud, too.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I LOVE that. Immediately gets them involved and embrace them. Helped with Michaud, too.

I agree. I also like how they don’t haze the freshmen by making them load and unload all the gear on road trips. Even the coaches help out. Definitely a great culture here. 

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I agree. I also like how they don’t haze the freshmen by making them load and unload all the gear on road trips. Even the coaches help out. Definitely a great culture here. 

I said this on another board, but I've heard we should expect to hear and see a lot of changes that this team/program has gone through/is going through, in the near future. Sounds like Bubbs took a real hard look at the program after last year. Maybe naming captains later is one of them?

40 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I said this on another board, but I've heard we should expect to hear and see a lot of changes that this team/program has gone through/is going through, in the near future. Sounds like Bubbs took a real hard look at the program after last year. Maybe naming captains later is one of them?

I heard somethings similar to this during the summer that backups what you said. I expect to see a better effort from certain players next season. 

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

From the way JBD played last year, it’s only going to be 2 more years if we’re lucky.

Yeah, definitely. I certainly don't expect it. Kid is a emerging star and for however longer we have him, we're lucky to have him on this team. Really loved JT's game in the second half of last year. I think he'll be an elite play-making D man, ala Stechy, by the time he leaves campus. 

• Upvote 1