SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Because from time to time it wont be a Friday/Saturday series? Oh the horror!

My point is that hockey is a red-headed stepchild in the Little 7. It will ALWAYS be a third-rate sport at best (and sometimes not even that). The NCHC is a pure hockey conference with some of the country's best teams. It's an easy choice as far as I am concerned.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha it means "Too long, didn't read"... just me picking on your meme game, MM. You not knowing what TL;DR means coupled with your meme game makes me very happy and I'm not being facetious and it's not an insult. The varied ages, personality types and opinions are a huge part of what I like about our little world, here :) 

32u3pm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm what they call an "older Millennial"... Stick with me and I'll keep ya hip. Speaking of hips, yours still good? ;)

Hips are fine...but I could really do without the cheater glasses that started making an appearance about six months ago...:unsure:

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hips are fine...but I could really do without the cheater glasses that started making an appearance about six months ago...:unsure:

Guess I understand now why your memes are so large. Hang in there, brother. 

Lots of people look great in glasses! 

• 2 weeks later...

2018-19 highest average attendance

North Dakota-11,398

Wisconsin-10,044

Minnesota-7,944

Ohio State-6,437

Minnesota Duluth-6,028

Omaha-5,816

Penn St.-5,801

Michigan-5,628

Denver-5,568

Michigan St.-5,461

Notre Dame-5,368

Massachusetts-4,876

New Hampshire-4,735

UMass Lowell-4,615

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sioux rube said:

North Dakota-11,398

Wisconsin-10,044

Minnesota-7,944

Ohio State-6,437

Minnesota Duluth-6,028

Omaha-5,816

Penn St.-5,801

Michigan-5,628

Denver-5,568

Michigan St.-5,461

Notre Dame-5,368

Massachusetts-4,876

New Hampshire-4,735

UMass Lowell-4,615

What’s amazing about those figures is that the team that was ranked #1 most of the season and was #1 seed didn’t even make the list with their ticket prices less than $20 a game. 

14 hours ago, sioux rube said:

North Dakota-11,398

Wisconsin-10,044

Minnesota-7,944

Ohio State-6,437

Minnesota Duluth-6,028

Omaha-5,816

Penn St.-5,801

Michigan-5,628

Denver-5,568

Michigan St.-5,461

Notre Dame-5,368

Massachusetts-4,876

New Hampshire-4,735

UMass Lowell-4,615

Reading posts on here would would make one think that only parents and siblings show up for games in the B1G.  Good to see the Hawks stay on top.

All 7 B1G teams in top 11. Take N. Dak. out of there and what do you have? Wisconsin is rebuilding their fan base and could pass us next season in attendance with a few more wins.

The B1G does pretty well with attendance and viewership during the season. Any conference would take those numbers. 

26 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Reading posts on here would would make one think that only parents and siblings show up for games in the B1G.  Good to see the Hawks stay on top.

All 7 B1G teams in top 11. Take N. Dak. out of there and what do you have? Wisconsin is rebuilding their fan base and could pass us next season in attendance with a few more wins.

The B1G does pretty well with attendance and viewership during the season. Any conference would take those numbers. 

Tickets sold and actual attendance are two very different things for many of these teams.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Tickets sold and actual attendance are two very different things for many of these teams.

Wisconsin and Ohio State also play in venues with some of the largest capacities in college hockey. Kohl Center is like 16,000 capacity and I think Ohio State’s capacity is 18,000. Place always looks dead on TV because it’s over half empty. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I just get the feeling attendance is much better than people on here realize and do understand the difference in tickets sold and how many actually show up at the games. Wisconsin did have 15,000 for a Ohio State game (no pics of that on here). The tickets sold bring in revenue.

Now, how about the Double Whammy?  The B1G catches some of these fans that bought tickets, didn't show up at the game, and then watched/listened to the games through the various media outlets. These fans paid for the tickets, had no butt in their seat, and then contributed to viewership ratings.

22 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I just get the feeling attendance is much better than people on here realize and do understand the difference in tickets sold and how many actually show up at the games. Wisconsin did have 15,000 for a Ohio State game (no pics of that on here). The tickets sold bring in revenue.

Now, how about the Double Whammy?  The B1G catches some of these fans that bought tickets, didn't show up at the game, and then watched/listened to the games through the various media outlets. These fans paid for the tickets, had no butt in their seat, and then contributed to viewership ratings.

Double whammy for what? I'm not sure how the B1G viewership ratings matters in this conversation about attendance. I watched nearly every Minny game on TV last year and I don't think there was ever a game I saw 7,000 there.

32 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Wisconsin and Ohio State also play in venues with some of the largest capacities in college hockey. Kohl Center is like 16,000 capacity and I think Ohio State’s capacity is 18,000. Place always looks dead on TV because it’s over half empty. 

I understand that, but I don't think I've seen a Wisco game recently with anywhere near 10,000 fans.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Double whammy for what? I'm not sure how the B1G viewership ratings matters in this conversation about attendance. I watched nearly every Minny game on TV last year and I don't think there was ever a game I saw 7,000 there.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that post was getting at. Regular season ticket revenue all goes to the institutions, the only thing the B1G gets anything out of is the playoff series.

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I understand that, but I don't think I've seen a Wisco game recently with anywhere near 10,000 fans.

DATE: 2/9/2019

START: 7:17 pm

TIME: 2:28

ATTENDANCE: 15,359

OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:
DATE: 2/9/2019

START: 7:17 pm

TIME: 2:28

ATTENDANCE: 15,359

OFFICIALS: Referee: Brian Aaron; Linesman: David Marcotte; Linesman: Nicholas Bradshaw; Goal 

Lol I never saw that game, like I said haha. So be it. What's it matter, anyway? 

4 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

I understand that. But the B1G gets nothing from regular season ticket sales though so I'm not sure where your "double whammy" comes in.

"Double whammy" usually means two negatives. I believe BarnWinter meant it as two positives though.

The university gets ticket money even when they don't show up and the Big Ten Network gets increased viewership if they stay home and watch the game instead.

Which in turn means....

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

BTN - Hockey is televised by the B1G, creates revenue for it's members.

Increased viewership in BTN means bigger payments to Big Ten schools. 

• Upvote 2