SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh sure, the team will be fine.  Was just a messy morning, as far as UND hockey news goes.

No, a messy morning is finding out those things when they are two weeks or two days away. 

These are two years away impacts which means a couple new (albeit unexpected) agenda items in the weekly long-range planning session. 

• Upvote 1

Johnny Brodzinski couldn't score for the Force and look how he did in college! In all seriousness, nobody is going to argue that there are a lot of different variables when recruiting each player and when constructing a team. You'll also be able to find any example you want to prove a point.

When talking about variables, a players point production is a pretty important factor (I'm guessing), so tracking it from year to year would probably be useful.

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Johnny Brodzinski couldn't score for the Force and look how he did in college! In all seriousness, nobody is going to argue that there are a lot of different variables when recruiting each player and when constructing a team. You'll also be able to find any example you want to prove a point.

When talking about variables, a players point production is a pretty important factor (I'm guessing), so tracking it from year to year would probably be useful.

Yes. Of course there are examples either way, but production is and always has been, a very good indicator of success.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, a messy morning is finding out those things when they are two weeks or two days away. 

These are two years away impacts which means a couple new (albeit unexpected) agenda items in the weekly long-range planning session. 

Yah, JT Miller was a classic example of this. Didn’t he bail on us at the 11th hour? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I wouldn't say Brozinski "couldn't" score for The Force. But he did learn to play both ends of the ice for The Force.

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am always puzzled at the judgement of others that the community here imposes...   Isn't there some saying about past results may not indicate future returns, of course is all we have is a stat line, then there you go...  Seems to me there is so much more to it....   Didn't Boeser and Wilkie both have a great stat line in their last year of juniors?

Well...boeser has the better numbers if you ask me (looking past the goal stat only), played on a worse team, was a rookie, and did solid on the Hlinka (which Wilkie never made).

But yes, Wilkie had a nice overage year. I don’t knock Wilkie, he had 19 pts in 20 games last year.  We could have used him big time.

We had two things relative to talent that kept us at an elite level for the past many years - We were a destination for high enders looking to hone their skills for the NHL and we had a great eye for role players and sleepers.  You don't have to look farther than our championship year to see this - Top line was one of the best of all time and had two first rounders and an undrafted player.  Now look at the last few years of recruiting (especially up front).  There is no doubt that we need to re-establish in both of these areas.  I like what we have coming in but in my opinion Berry needs success right soon to get things going in the right direction again.  Hopefully this season will be the start of another run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish said:

We had two things relative to talent that kept us at an elite level for the past many years - We were a destination for high enders looking to hone their skills for the NHL and we had a great eye for role players and sleepers.  You don't have to look farther than our championship year to see this - Top line was one of the best of all time and had two first rounders and an undrafted player.  Now look at the last few years of recruiting (especially up front).  There is no doubt that we need to re-establish in both of these areas.  I like what we have coming in but in my opinion Berry needs success right soon to get things going in the right direction again.  Hopefully this season will be the start of another run.

This year’s team should be solid 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

New players jersey numbers:

8 -- Harrison Blaisdell, freshman forward

11 -- Westin Michaud, senior forward

13 -- Carson Albrecht, freshman forward

15 -- Ethan Frisch, freshman defenseman

22 -- Shane Pinto, freshman forward

28 -- Judd Caulfield, freshman forward

18 hours ago, brianvf said:

New players jersey numbers:

8 -- Harrison Blaisdell, freshman forward

11 -- Westin Michaud, senior forward

13 -- Carson Albrecht, freshman forward

15 -- Ethan Frisch, freshman defenseman

22 -- Shane Pinto, freshman forward

28 -- Judd Caulfield, freshman forward

Probably the wrong thread, but as far as player numbers go I'm hoping that this is the last year that #9 is worn.  

• Upvote 2

theres a school of thought that the program retire the numbers of the greats and legends... belfour, toews.... another thought is its a recruiting and culture tool.

I'm in that camp, no player is bigger than the program and its legacy carries on with each generation.

As far as what does get retired, tragedy is applicable, IMHO

Thats the case with Casey, but it took many many years.

With Johnson, it may be best to see how the family wants to honor. 

I think it would be best to eventually utilize the program and platform for suicide prevention and awareness in some fashion. im hoping to see at least a patch on the sweater at some point this year.

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

theres a school of thought that the program retire the numbers of the greats and legends... belfour, toews.... another thought is its a recruiting and culture tool.

I'm in that camp, no player is bigger than the program and its legacy carries on with each generation.

As far as what does get retired, tragedy is applicable, IMHO

Thats the case with Casey, but it took many many years.

With Johnson, it may be best to see how the family wants to honor. 

I think it would be best to eventually utilize the program and platform for suicide prevention and awareness in some fashion. im hoping to see at least a patch on the sweater at some point this year.

With the family's blessing I'd love to see a helmet sticker or patch this season.

• Upvote 1

Team can’t be any worse than last year. Only progression and trending up. 

D-Core should be solid. Peski will play a role and who knows maybe Frisch develops throughout the year to add something to impact the team at some point. 

Goalies - Scheel is the real deal. Give Thome some games. 

Scoring? TBD 

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Team can’t be any worse than last year. Only progression and trending up. 

D-Core should be solid. Peski will play a role and who knows maybe Frisch develops throughout the year to add something to impact the team at some point. 

Goalies - Scheel is the real deal. Give Thome some games. 

Scoring? TBD 

Still very curious why Frisch came in.  Definitely appears another year may have helped his game, but it is what it is.  Not sure he beats out peski on that last pairing. Could be a lot of bench time for him.

i don’t think we’ll have any high point producers but we should go back to a normal season. Hopefully we have 2-3 over a pt/gm guys and several more knocking on the door.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Still very curious why Frisch came in.  Definitely appears another year may have helped his game, but it is what it is.  Not sure he beats out peski on that last pairing. Could be a lot of bench time for him.

i don’t think we’ll have any high point producers but we should go back to a normal season. Hopefully we have 2-3 over a pt/gm guys and several more knocking on the door.

Be nice if Mismash had a solid year. Weatherby could be a sleeper for production. Has size and skill. 

Just need at least  “1” of the freshman to be a goal scorer as a freshie. Hopefully it happens. 

Well, either my math is off, or Berry is carrying 27 this season (instead of the Blais/Hak traditional 26 slot roster):

G (3): Thome, Scheel, Feeney

D (8): Peski, Poolman, Bast, Kierstad, Rieger, Tychonick, JBD, Frisch

F (16): Johnson, Yon, Bowen, Michaud, Smith, Mismash, Adams, Keane, Kawaguchi, Hain, Weatherby, Senden, Blaisdell, Albrecht, Pinto, Caulfield 

Given recent history, I don't have any issue with that. We've seemed to be scrambling at times to fill a game day roster card.