SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Penn St. Nashville 2020-21

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

38 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Please no. Hockey is meant to be played at hockey rinks! We’ve already crossed off the outdoor game theme. Once was enough(too much) in my opinion. 

This "winter classic" non-sense will go on until bad outdoor ice costs a team a significant player for the rest of a season. 

• Upvote 2

OK guys, I was just kidding with the US Bank idea.  Hence the  ;).  I do think that all future games may have to be in NHL arenas.  Vegas was great but only 7000 people got to go see it.  That made the Nashville game even more desirable.  Looks like its gonna sell out in less than a week.  Nashville is going to be a HUUUUGE success given the amount of fans that are going to be there and the atmosphere of Broadway for 3-4 days.  This is only going to make these destination games even bigger!  I would say that future games are going to have to be in NHL arenas.  The demand now has become that great.  Our fanbase is amazing and these destination games have become the staple now of the program.  I don't see them stopping anytime in the near future.

42 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

OK guys, I was just kidding with the US Bank idea.  Hence the  ;).  I do think that all future games may have to be in NHL arenas.  Vegas was great but only 7000 people got to go see it.  That made the Nashville game even more desirable.  Looks like its gonna sell out in less than a week.  Nashville is going to be a HUUUUGE success given the amount of fans that are going to be there and the atmosphere of Broadway for 3-4 days.  This is only going to make these destination games even bigger!  I would say that future games are going to have to be in NHL arenas.  The demand now has become that great.  Our fanbase is amazing and these destination games have become the staple now of the program.  I don't see them stopping anytime in the near future.

Largest NHL arena is Belle Centre at Montreal, but I have a hard time believing UND will sell out a 21,000 seat venue in another country.

Largest stateside arena is Chicago's United Center, which is not exactly a destination location due to a popular Frozen Four location. 

Maybe Moda Center in Portland with 18,280 or Tampa Bay/Miami 

It's gotta be a bit of a vacation destination.  Seattle is borderline for me.  Tampa during the winter would be fine.  But there needs to be an attraction other than just the game or you probably wouldn't draw more than 7-8000 tops.

I think going back to Vegas would be fine, against say a Michigan.

Another option would be New Orleans.  The Smoothie King arena was designed as a multi-purpose arena and supposedly seats nearly 17,000 for hockey.  Their ECHL team bailed from the arena due to a dispute with the Pelicans over reconfiguring the arena between basketball and hockey, but on a one time basis I'm sure it could be done.  Maybe a Mardi Gras destination game?

Hopefully the game in Nashville can get a few guys to stay around for their Senior season, like Mismash, Kawaguchi and Kiersted. Probably not enough incentive to pass up a contract waived in front of you, but if you aren't going to make the big club right away, it definitely could be a lifetime memory for these guys, just like for the fans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I asked the Ralph about who bought tickets. They told me almost all the ticket sales went to UND fans “99.9%”. They are not anticipating any additional release of any kind. Penn State didn’t purchase “a ton” of tickets and there will be no tickets returned from Penn State. So I take it that UND fans have purchased at least 16,000 tickets for this event!

Take a bow fellow fans!!!!

My group of six UND fans is converging from Colorado, North Dakota and Texas. This will be a blast!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I asked the Ralph about who bought tickets. They told me almost all the ticket sales went to UND fans “99.9%”. They are not anticipating any additional release of any kind. Penn State didn’t purchase “a ton” of tickets and there will be no tickets returned from Penn State. So I take it that UND fans have purchased at least 16,000 tickets for this event!

Take a bow fellow fans!!!!

WOW! 

15 hours ago, northernraider said:

Largest NHL arena is Belle Centre at Montreal, but I have a hard time believing UND will sell out a 21,000 seat venue in another country.

Largest stateside arena is Chicago's United Center, which is not exactly a destination location due to a popular Frozen Four location. 

Maybe Moda Center in Portland with 18,280 or Tampa Bay/Miami 

I agree that these type of events need to happen in destination/vacation cities.  New York, Vegas, Nashville...definitely nailed those locations.  Tampa would be a great success especially considering all the fans who went down for the 2016 Frozen Four.  Los Angeles and Phoenix could be good destinations as well. 

23 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Please no. Hockey is meant to be played at hockey rinks! We’ve already crossed off the outdoor game theme. Once was enough(too much) in my opinion. 

I am one of the few that seems to disagree with the outdoor concepts, be it I don't think the Omaha one went all that great but there were multiple issues be it from the ice crew drilling into the antifreeze line, and not originally planning a evening game or the NCAA game as standalone as the USHL game beat up the ice as the sun beat down on the dark painted surfaces. I had fun at that game and was kinda glad that there were open areas as we bought some of the higher price seats and they were too low for that type of game as sight lines were affected, but was a fun first experience. I have since been to the Hockey City Classic (UMN vs OSU) and the Stadium Series (and Alumni game) both at TCF Bank Stadium and were excellent experiences. Sat higher and enjoyed the elements even with the bitter cold at the HCC. 

I just think it has to be the right environment and managed correctly. UND in that Hockey City Classic instead of their game in Omaha would've been much more exciting and think the opinion of alot of fans would've changed. Do i think they need to try it again, probably not. I like the ideas of these destination games and can leave the outdoor games more to larger markets or NHL. That be it, I have not made it to any destination games. Had tickets for Vegas but sold them the month of as job change and other life events. Hoping for Nashville but I held off on purchase for now and will see how secondary market goes closer to the game.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

I just think it has to be the right environment and managed correctly. UND in that Hockey City Classic instead of their game in Omaha would've been much more exciting and think the opinion of alot of fans would've changed. Do i think they need to try it again, probably not. I like the ideas of these destination games and can leave the outdoor games more to larger markets or NHL. That be it, I have not made it to any destination games. Had tickets for Vegas but sold them the month of as job change and other life events. Hoping for Nashville but I held off on purchase for now and will see how secondary market goes closer to the game.

Same. General public sale seats didn’t do it for me. Weren’t good enough. 

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/2020-us-hockey-hall-of-fame-game/event/1B005784BDDD7B4D?landing=c

Just looked at the map on ticketmaster to count the see how many seats are available.  If you take out the handicap seating, there are only 86 tickets left to buy.  (60 in the upper bowl, 26 in the lower bowl).  Tickets have been on sale for 10 days.  Well done!!  Best fan base in college hockey and it's not even close!!!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I agree that these type of events need to happen in destination/vacation cities.  New York, Vegas, Nashville...definitely nailed those locations.  Tampa would be a great success especially considering all the fans who went down for the 2016 Frozen Four.  Los Angeles and Phoenix could be good destinations as well. 

Phoenix?

• Upvote 2

On 12/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, SJHovey said:

It's gotta be a bit of a vacation destination.  Seattle is borderline for me.  Tampa during the winter would be fine.  But there needs to be an attraction other than just the game or you probably wouldn't draw more than 7-8000 tops.

I think going back to Vegas would be fine, against say a Michigan.

Another option would be New Orleans.  The Smoothie King arena was designed as a multi-purpose arena and supposedly seats nearly 17,000 for hockey.  Their ECHL team bailed from the arena due to a dispute with the Pelicans over reconfiguring the arena between basketball and hockey, but on a one time basis I'm sure it could be done.  Maybe a Mardi Gras destination game?

How long has it been since they had a hockey game at Smoothie King agena?  We do not want another situation like we had with the Target Center where it took them several years to get back into hockey arena mode and even then they didn't do a good job of it.

New Orleans might be very popular among the hard partying fans, but more subdued ones should avoid due to crime and debauchery.  When someone shoots out your backseat car window on the freeway and the police consider that incident a waste, something is wrong there.  Its a status way worse than Las Vegas.  The food is great in the Big Easy, but almost everything else is highly questionable and most it’s gotten batter since Katrina.  Nashville is appealing because it’s attractions are All-American.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

How long has it been since they had a hockey game at Smoothie King agena?  We do not want another situation like we had with the Target Center where it took them several years to get back into hockey arena mode and even then they didn't do a good job of it.

That was kind of the same situation with Orleans Arena in Vegas last year.  The number of times they had to halt play because of the boards was crazy. 

• Upvote 1