SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

spoke to a guy from the wahpheton sisseton area (enrolled member and und alum) and he said that once kelly found out how much he and his brother were in support of the sioux logo his whole demeanor towards him and his brother changed for the worse while they were on campus (one still is one has graduated)....won't use the guys last name but look for an article somewhere on und.edu where they interview his brother and he says that someone at und photoshopped the word sioux on his shirt top out of the picture...i will look to see if i find it but when they saw that on the webpage they nearly lost it they said...

please lets hope that kelly is kicked out of this process bc of bias like this...

edit--assuming this is the pic?

cole-ward_inside.jpg

Pugnacious Pike? (Combative Pike - state fish)

39ers? (39th state)

Mighty Millers? (Only State Owned Mill)

None of these are probably worthy enough just brainstorming..after all it is the random nickname idea thread.

+1 for any graphic artist that can fit the new logo into the old logo's outline/profile. Even if they have to rotate it to fit.

spoke to a guy from the wahpheton sisseton area (enrolled member and und alum) and he said that once kelly found out how much he and his brother were in support of the sioux logo his whole demeanor towards him and his brother changed for the worse while they were on campus (one still is one has graduated)....won't use the guys last name but look for an article somewhere on und.edu where they interview his brother and he says that someone at und photoshopped the word sioux on his shirt top out of the picture...i will look to see if i find it but when they saw that on the webpage they nearly lost it they said...

please lets hope that kelly is kicked out of this process bc of bias like this...

I think Kelley needs to be "kicked out" of a lot more things than this.

I know what would really drive the elites and NCAA crazy, The University of North Dakota Capitalists! Have dollar signs as the logo. Of course the NCAA would go nuts even though they are all about the money!

Kelley just tweeted "nyet, comrade!" in response to this suggestion.

Any consideration to "Thunder?"  (I haven't read the entire thread...sorry if this has been suggested).  Good name...representative of when a big thunderstorm rolls across the ND prairie.  (And, some may recognize a side benefit -- a jab at NDSU and its mascot by stealing a little of Thundar's thunder.  ;)  )

is there some deadline for having a mascot?  I was in Scheel's in Rapid City, SD over the weekend and some some UND gear...the ND logo looks fine all by itself.

Let's just say that UND still wants to remember its history with having the Sioux name and wants to choose a name that honors that. What are the chances of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes suggesting and getting behind a name that is part of their heritage and that they felt would be appropriate for UND to use as a nickname. Obviously anything relating to Sioux or any names given to their people they will not support (at least at SR). But let's say they came up with a native american symbol, animal, name, etc that they fully supported and put it in writing and awarded it to UND. There would be no way that the NCAA could say that a name picked by native american tribes in the state could be deemed hostile and abbusive. I thnk that this option should at least be considered.

How about Spirit Rocks, or Rock Spirits...or maybe Lake Rocks???

Any consideration to "Thunder?"  (I haven't read the entire thread...sorry if this has been suggested).  Good name...representative of when a big thunderstorm rolls across the ND prairie.  (And, some may recognize a side benefit -- a jab at NDSU and its mascot by stealing a little of Thundar's thunder.  ;)  )

is there some deadline for having a mascot?  I was in Scheel's in Rapid City, SD over the weekend and some some UND gear...the ND logo looks fine all by itself.

Thunder would be considered for all those reasons - Thunder won't be considering because it's too close to "The Thundering HTerd". Still not clear if not choosing a nickname, other than North Dakota, is acceptable. Based on what the Native Americans who protested on campus said not choosing a name isn't acceptable to them (because it allows Fighting Sioux to remain as the subversive nickname.)

und-aerospace.jpg

Wouldn't an Arrow finial look perfect on the top of the vertical pole on the top of the new Robin Hall?  And it ironically points toward the north.

UND Arrows.  It is simple, strong and unique.  I mentioned before that it is on the state flag.  It is also on the state seal.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_North_Dakota#mediaviewer/File:North_Dakota_state_seal.jpg

JackJD mentioned that he saw the ND logo and it looked just fine by itself.  Take the ND and add the arrow and it looks even better.  http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/9644-random-nickname-ideas/?p=744879

und-aerospace.jpg

Wouldn't an Arrow finial look perfect on the top of the vertical pole on the top of the new Robin Hall?  And it ironically points toward the north.

UND Arrows.  It is simple, strong and unique.  I mentioned before that it is on the state flag.  It is also on the state seal.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_North_Dakota#mediaviewer/File:North_Dakota_state_seal.jpg

JackJD mentioned that he saw the ND logo and it looked just fine by itself.  Take the ND and add the arrow and it looks even better.  http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/9644-random-nickname-ideas/?p=744879

Of all the ideas thrown out, I'm beginning to dislike this one the least.  We need to move forward with something, so I can get behind being the University of North Dakota Arrows.

We need to move forward with something, ... 

No. Kidding.

Please stand by: The following is a pat myself on the back session. 

When this fiasco started I said we needed to replace the name immediately to maintain control of the process. (By "we" I mean folks that care about UND Athletics and that supported the retired name as long as it was sustainable.) Well, we didn't and now we don't have control. We have committees and processes ... and delay, delay, delay. We, those who care, lost control. 

This is where I say my four favorite words: I. Told. You. So.

We should have a new name and logo for about a decade already. We should have moved on. 

Instead we live under the specter of the old logo, including every little possible incident that can be remotely associated to the old name (see: last spring's t-shirts).

When I realized that's where we are I changed my avatar to what it is today.

My avatar is the DC Comics character "The Spectre". 

und-aerospace.jpg

When (or if) they remodel Memorial Stadium to be FBS ready, they could rename it Arrowhead Stadium. (I don't think the Chiefs would mind)

No. Kidding.

Please stand by: The following is a pat myself on the back session. 

When this fiasco started I said we needed to replace the name immediately to maintain control of the process. (By "we" I mean folks that care about UND Athletics and that supported the retired name as long as it was sustainable.) Well, we didn't and now we don't have control. We have committees and processes ... and delay, delay, delay. We, those who care, lost control. 

This is where I say my four favorite words: I. Told. You. So.

We should have a new name and logo for about a decade already. We should have moved on. 

Instead we live under the specter of the old logo, including every little possible incident that can be remotely associated to the old name (see: last spring's t-shirts).

When I realized that's where we are I changed my avatar to what it is today.

My avatar is the DC Comics character "The Spectre".

How were we suppose to gain control of this process?