SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Roadrunners?  Are there roadrunners in ND?

Roadrunners are skinny pheasants. Pheasants are just as likely to take off running instead of flying, like roadrunners. Bodies are vaguely similar. Pheasants are more colorful, especially with the green head. Sioux Falls' Northern Legue baseball team uses it, but no colleges. Not my favorite, but better than most names thrown around on here.

Roadrunners are skinny pheasants. Pheasants are just as likely to take off running instead of flying, like roadrunners. Bodies are vaguely similar. Pheasants are more colorful, especially with the green head. Sioux Falls' Northern Legue baseball team uses it, but no colleges. Not my favorite, but better than most names thrown around on here.

Actually I think the Sioux Falls Pheasants are now the Sioux Falls Canaries again.

One of the all-time classic ND HS nicknames is the Rattlers of Glen Ullin.

Yes it was! Man, what an incredible boys basketball team in the 1980's too. Great nickname. Not to be outdone though by the nickname of the school that beat them in the 1986 Region 8 title game: Bantams.

Kenmare was the Honkers - I always liked the name - we played them in BB in HS back in the 60's - No school there anymore

WHAT? No more Bowbells Eskimos and now THIS? I suppose you'll be telling me next that the Woodworth-Pettibone-Robinson Wolfpack and the Grenora Gophers are gone as well.

Yes it was! Man, what an incredible boys basketball team in the 1980's too. Great nickname. Not to be outdone though by the nickname of the school that beat them in the 1986 Region 8 title game: Bantams.

Just found my Hoopster book from 1984-85, Glen Ullin, lead by Mr Everything Kevin Gerving, were looked as one of the favorites in Region 8. (Bowman was 1, Glen Ullin 2)

What was the Region 3 outlook?

Here's what they predicted for the region...they also broke down each district...IIRC, Langdon came through this region, taking down Cavalier in the regional final.

1 Cavalier

2 Border Central

3 Langdon

4 Bisbee-Egeland

5 Cando

6 Lankin-Adams

7 Park River

8 North Border