SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Let's get a name first and talk mascot later.

I don't think you can do that.  When deciding a name, the powers that be will have to decide if they want to choose a name where a mascot could be created.  Obviously many scools have mascots.  They are fun for the kids, and entertain the fans, as well as make appearences throughout the community.  When coming up with a new name, they will absolutely have to factor in the issue of a mascot.

Not a huge fan of any inanimate object, as the pride factor doesn't seem to be there any more than if we were the forks or spoons.  That said, don't know that we'll find any name like we had that would exude pride.  Roughriders or Reapers would be high on my list.  Any mythical nicknames not yet taken?

Not a huge fan of any inanimate object, as the pride factor doesn't seem to be there any more than if we were the forks or spoons.  That said, don't know that we'll find any name like we had that would exude pride.  Roughriders or Reapers would be high on my list.  Any mythical nicknames not yet taken?

Agree, inanimate objects = super lame

I don't think you can do that.  When deciding a name, the powers that be will have to decide if they want to choose a name where a mascot could be created.  Obviously many scools have mascots.  They are fun for the kids, and entertain the fans, as well as make appearences throughout the community.  When coming up with a new name, they will absolutely have to factor in the issue of a mascot.

That was the reason for Thunder the Bleacher Creature. I thought he was fun, of course the NA didn't care for it.

That was the reason for Thunder the Bleacher Creature. I thought he was fun, of course the NA didn't care for it.

Yeah, I think they much rather prefer live mascots depicting Native Americans that are played by a white man, wearing face paint, riding a horse and throwing a spear, and leading fans in a tomohawk chop!! :)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think they much rather prefer live mascots depicting Native Americans that are played by a white man, wearing face paint, riding a horse and throwing a spear, and leading fans in a tomohawk chop!! :)

That is acceptable in the eyes of the law. (NC$$)

Off the wall (politically acceptable?) idea incorporating the UND academic logo - Wildfire. A quick search does not reveal any teams with Fire, Prairie Fire or Wildfire nickname. Do not like Flames, even though Calgary and Liberty U (shouldn't their women's teams be the Liberty Bells or even Belles?) use it.

Still like Roughriders and Wolves better. Cavalry or Pony Express are better than most. Nokotas is unique, even though some think it is too repetitive. Owls are a fierce bird of prey (Eagles Is the most widely used nickname).

Really doubt anything like Warriors, Arrows or Big Cocks will gain any traction, although Aeros would give a nod to the aerospace program. Don't think the PC crowd (ROK) will allow Fighting anything.

The tenor of the newspaper articles linked on these forums gives me hope that Kelly will not be picking the name out of thin air, however still fear that it will be some bland color, weather related or other PC approved name.

Edit; another off the wall thought... Nickels and use the old logo inside a circle ?

Off the wall (politically acceptable?) idea incorporating the UND academic logo - Wildfire. A quick search does not reveal any teams with Fire, Prairie Fire or Wildfire nickname. Do not like Flames, even though Calgary and Liberty U (shouldn't their women's teams be the Liberty Bells or even Belles?) use it.

Does former professional wrassler 'Wildfire' Tommy Rich have the nickname trademarked already??

Does former professional wrassler 'Wildfire' Tommy Rich have the nickname trademarked already??

One of my all-time favorites. Let's not forget Mr Wrestling II and "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes!

Off the top of my head, chant ideas to go along with "Arrows" include:

Feather them

Make them quiver "clap, clap, clap clap clap"

Arrows yeah yeah.... Yeah Arrroooowwss   :bigsmile:

A. R. R. O. W. S. Arrows. Arrows. Gooooo SIOUX!  ;)

Other than Let's Go Sioux does the crowd really do much organized cheering anymore? And other than hockey the students don't really show up regularly and when they do they don't lead the cheering very much. 

One of my all-time favorites. Let's not forget Mr Wrestling II and "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes!

Thunderbolt Patterson, Ivan Koloff, and the Hanson Brothers were some other favorites from the old Georgia Championship Wrestling crew.

Other than Let's Go Sioux does the crowd really do much organized cheering anymore? And other than hockey the students don't really show up regularly and when they do they don't lead the cheering very much.

Hard to lead the cheers when you're busy taking selfies and updating your Facebook status I guess...