SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

How were we suppose to gain control of this process?

By demanding immediate action and not wallowing in despair for something that was already lost. A strong alumni response then would have forced Dr. Kelley's hand. Now he has pacified that base. 

As soon as folks adopted the "we don't need a nickname" canard it gave Dr. Kelley exactly what he wanted: time and space to do things his way. Look at the survey data: Alumni are now asking that they be the majority voice in the decision. Key word? Asking. If alumni had stepped up when the name stopped being sustainable they wouldn't be "asking". 

I hate to blow a good source on this, but when one of the first committees formed (probably five years ago already) they thought they were there to get a new moniker in place. That committee had both Ed Schafer and Leigh Jeanotte on it. (That's pretty much as opposite in ND politics as you can get.) Those two agreed the process should happen quickly. Schafer and Jeanotte ... agreeing on something. Ponderous, eh? 

Who didn't agree with them? Dr. Kelley. 

And look where we are now. 

When (or if) they remodel Memorial Stadium to be FBS ready, they could rename it Arrowhead Stadium. (I don't think the Chiefs would mind)

Memorial Stadium should stay Memorial Stadium until/unless someone gives a large donation to renovate the facility, which would allow them to place their name on it.  I prefer not to have Arrows associated with NA.  As I have said before, arrows have been used for thousands of years by many cultures and the name cannot be claimed by the NA.

Memorial Stadium should stay Memorial Stadium until/unless someone gives a large donation to renovate the facility, which would allow them to place their name on it. I prefer not to have Arrows associated with NA. As I have said before, arrows have been used for thousands of years by many cultures and the name cannot be claimed by the NA.

An arrowhead Is just the tip of an arrow, it's not the name of a tribe or a tomahawk.

By demanding immediate action and not wallowing in despair for something that was already lost. A strong alumni response then would have forced Dr. Kelley's hand. Now he has pacified that base. 

As soon as folks adopted the "we don't need a nickname" canard it gave Dr. Kelley exactly what he wanted: time and space to do things his way. Look at the survey data: Alumni are now asking that they be the majority voice in the decision. Key word? Asking. If alumni had stepped up when the name stopped being sustainable they wouldn't be "asking". 

I hate to blow a good source on this, but when one of the first committees formed (probably five years ago already) they thought they were there to get a new moniker in place. That committee had both Ed Schafer and Leigh Jeanotte on it. (That's pretty much as opposite in ND politics as you can get.) Those two agreed the process should happen quickly. Schafer and Jeanotte ... agreeing on something. Ponderous, eh? 

Tried to pat yourself on the back and...missed!  I'm not buying it - there was no obvious replacement for alumni to rally around - without it, it's too much to expect that everyone would demand an immediate change as quickly as possible after such an acrimonious battle.  Even today, no candidate has stepped to the forefront to become anything resembling a consensus replacement.  

Tried to pat yourself on the back and...missed!  I'm not buying it - there was no obvious replacement for alumni to rally around - without it, it's too much to expect that everyone would demand an immediate change as quickly as possible after such an acrimonious battle.  Even today, no candidate has stepped to the forefront to become anything resembling a consensus replacement.

I'm not saying there was a consensus name then. I'm saying we should've done all of this work then and have long since moved on. Instead, we wallow along.

The way the whole name change was handled from the start leads me to believe that Kelley had his mind made up and short of 20,000 alumni all contacting his office at once (that would have been cool by the way) he was going to handle/mishandle this this thing his way.  That's all water under the bridge now but I think it's pretty optimistic to say that people could have much say in this. Just my 2 cents.

Arrows is beginning to sound good to me.  It surely can't offend anyone (as earlier post said, NA's don't own it) and, most importantly, arrows take down/wipe out Bizon, Goofers, Badgers, 'Dawgs (however may types there are out there, a dime a dozen), Pioneers, Red Birds (Miami?), Mavericks, Huskies, etc.   

Personally not a fan or Arrows... It is boring. What kind of mascot or cheers come from arrows?

A big giant Arrow, or Thunder the bleacher creature. We don't need a mascot that goes with the team. Ex. Cleveland Indians Slider, that bird for the Miami Hurricanes among others.

No. Kidding.

Please stand by: The following is a pat myself on the back session. 

When this fiasco started I said we needed to replace the name immediately to maintain control of the process. (By "we" I mean folks that care about UND Athletics and that supported the retired name as long as it was sustainable.) Well, we didn't and now we don't have control. We have committees and processes ... and delay, delay, delay. We, those who care, lost control. 

This is where I say my four favorite words: I. Told. You. So.

We should have a new name and logo for about a decade already. We should have moved on. 

Instead we live under the specter of the old logo, including every little possible incident that can be remotely associated to the old name (see: last spring's t-shirts).

When I realized that's where we are I changed my avatar to what it is today.

My avatar is the DC Comics character "The Spectre". 

I agree with your thoughts but having a new name/logo would not have prevented what happened last spring or in the future nor will it remove UND from the blame game because the source of the blame game continues to exist on campus. Ironically they have their own private building on campus built with public tax dollars. And while they shouldn't even be on the list of organizations having a say in the name you can bet they will be very vocal (and I"m betting that they will find some way to have a problem with any name that even remotely could be referenced back to Native American culture.)