SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

WM is called the Tribe. They argued that they should keep the name because it is not necessarily a NA name. Coupled with the imagery of their logo that is a hard argument to make. So they compromised by removing the imagery. We on the other hand removed all that was deemed offensive. An arrow logo with the name "Arrows" in no way associated with NA or any ethnicity for that matter. So then you tell me, what would be the NCAAs argument?

William & Mary "compromised" with respect to the NCAA about as much as the Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia "invited" the Red Army to annex their countries and make them part of the USSR. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/william-and-mary-replaces-logo-remove-feathers

"The passing months have given us no greater esteem for the NCAA's misguided decision to prohibit the feathers in our past logo," President Gene R. Nichol said in a statement.

From the NCAA website...

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

I don't see how an arrow can be assigned to a race, ethnicity or national origin.  The idea of Arrows came to my mind while reading Robin Hood with my son. 

I'm not saying it's a poor design or poor drawing, in fact, I think it's quite creative.  However, what I am saying is that given UND's past connection with "Fighting Sioux," some members of the NCAA may view the nickname "Arrows" a bit differently than what I would consider normal people would.

I'm not saying it's a poor design or poor drawing, GeauxSioux, what I am saying is that given UND's past connection with "Fighting Sioux," some members of the NCAA may view the nickname "Arrows" a bit differently than what I would consider normal people would.

Hey, you are not offending me.  I am not artistic enough to be offended.  :p

I just don't think you can take something like a north arrow as being offensive, as that is essentially what I have done, taken a north arrow from a CAD program and put on UND's existing athletic logo.  Maps all over the world have North arrows on them.  North just happens to be in the state name and the arrow seems to work well with the current logo.

"You realize that the NCAA is comprised of member schools (including UND) right?"  YES but if they did not have a near Monopoly I'd say to He11 with them completely - If we could get the name back I'd be willing to go Independent - Screw their championship - & screw the pansy schools who would not play us 

I still say become a AHL or Major Junior team & F-em all (including UND if they would still support kelly)

But that is just me  :xmas: & I bet Ralph would have made it happen if he were here 

& Im talking Hockey here this mostly happened because other sports at UND gave up way to soon - they can stay with the ncaa & be the pink panthers for all I care 

Hey, you are not offending me.  I am not artistic enough to be offended.  :p

I just don't think you can take something like a north arrow as being offensive, as that is essentially what I have done, taken a north arrow from a CAD program and put on UND's existing athletic logo.  Maps all over the world have North arrows on them.  North just happens to be in the state name and the arrow seems to work well with the current logo.

I don't think you can either...but, tell me, do you think SOMEONE in Indianapolis might? 

RALPHIE.jpg

I suppose it's only a problem if the men running with Ralphie are wearing Native American costumes...

http://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/native-american-cultures/videos/the-buffalo-and-native-americans

If NDSU, Howard, Bucknell and Colorado can use a image that is tied with Native Americans then I would think Arrows can be okay.

Then tell me how Arrows are associated with NA's but Bison or Buffaloes (Colorado) isn't?

oh stop it Darrell with your loser "me too, their picking on me" attitude.   There are a lot of things associated with Indians, who are real people by the way.   Horses, Mustangs, Eagles, Crows, Ravens, dirt, broncos, wind, sky, snow, rain, mountains, tatanka, and many many more, none of which you will note are real human beings.  I think you forget your misery loves company attitude, and enjoy the holidays.    I can probably play Indian association with every nickname in America . . . The Pioneers, didn't thy kick the Indians out of their territory, I suppose you have a problem with that one too. 

http://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/native-american-cultures/videos/the-buffalo-and-native-americans

If NDSU, Howard, Bucknell and Colorado can use a image that is tied with Native Americans then I would think Arrows can be okay.

Did any of those schools use Native American imagery with those logos? Did any of those schools change their name from something Indian-related to Bison or Buffaloes? Did any of those schools thumb their nose at the NCAA while fighting to keep their nickname? Did any of those schools rile up the NCAA like North Dakota did?