SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Now, now, now, Oxbow6, we're striving to be all-inclusive with this nickname process. President Kelley himself at this very moment is seeking volunteers from the cross-dressing circus midget and the vegetarian Satan-worshiper communities in North Dakota to assist in the effort.

I can support including cross-dressers, midgets, circus freaks, and satanists..... but vegetarians?  How can we trust people who don't eat meat?

One of the many things that made the Fighting Sioux name great and why people took pride in it was th fact that it was original.,  No other University had it.  So when people said "Fighting Sioux" you knew what University you were referring too.  Pickeing a generic name will end that sense of pride we all had with the old name.  I ma all about selecting a new name at this point....but if it's on this list, I don't want it.  Might be a tall task, but originality, IMO, is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_nicknames

One of the many things that made the Fighting Sioux name great and why people took pride in it was th fact that it was original., No other University had it. So when people said "Fighting Sioux" you knew what University you were referring too. Pickeing a generic name will end that sense of pride we all had with the old name. I ma all about selecting a new name at this point....but if it's on this list, I don't want it. Might be a tall task, but originality, IMO, is important.

Nokota

• Upvote 1

Throwing this out there... I'm sure it's been thrown out there before but am giving it s go...

UND Suhaki!!!

We could still chant " and the home of the Su....haki!!! And when the announcer says "the University of North Dakota...(fans chant) Su!!!

Any thoughts?

Now picture that at a football or basketball game.

• Upvote 2

Now picture that at a football or basketball game.

Obviously we'd only be Suhaki on paper which is a type of deer, but would ultimately be refered to as the Su, as in Sioux, as a middle finger to the NC$$.

No it wouldn't be great for football or basketball but the idea isn't aimed at only supporting our hockey team

Dave Letterman had a humorous bit this evening about the Washington Redskins. He figured out a way the team could preserve its name: he had a picture of a Washington helmet with a picture of a redskin potato in place of the actual Redskin logo.

Seen that a hundred times before...Lib Letterman just not funny anymore. Now, imagine Sean Hannity on Fox News trying to be "funny" with a joke like that...hellloooooo Al Sharpton!

One of the many things that made the Fighting Sioux name great and why people took pride in it was th fact that it was original.,  No other University had it.  So when people said "Fighting Sioux" you knew what University you were referring too.  Pickeing a generic name will end that sense of pride we all had with the old name.  I ma all about selecting a new name at this point....but if it's on this list, I don't want it.  Might be a tall task, but originality, IMO, is important.

"Badlanders" would be unique, relevant to the state, and would work for both the men's and women's teams - and before anyone says Grand Forks is not in the badlands, please remember it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of Grand Forks.

"Badlanders" would be unique, relevant to the state, and would work for both the men's and women's teams - and before anyone says Grand Forks is not in the badlands, please remember it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of Grand Forks.

Now there's a name change idea.  Would solve the Notre Dame dilemma, too.

What do you think about a logo or chants? legitimate question as I like the idea.

Seen that a hundred times before...Lib Letterman just not funny anymore. Now, imagine Sean Hannity on Fox News trying to be "funny" with a joke like that...hellloooooo Al Sharpton!

I seem to recall Letterman making lots of hay over the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal back in the late 1990's.  He is in the entertainment business, not politics.  And he is retiring soon, so you will have your wish.

I do think his NBC show was (and still is) better than his CBS show.  He had more freedom to go nuts in the 11:30-12:30 CT slot vs. the 10:30-11:30 CT slot.

I seem to recall Letterman making lots of hay over the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal back in the late 1990's.  He is in the entertainment business, not politics.  And he is retiring soon, so you will have your wish.

I do think his NBC show was (and still is) better than his CBS show.  He had more freedom to go nuts in the 11:30-12:30 CT slot vs. the 10:30-11:30 CT slot.

I prefer Letterman to Leno...haven't watched Jimmy Fallon (sp?).  But, if my old ass stays up long enough, my absolute favorite is Craig Ferguson.  Too bad this is his last week.