SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

True. That doesn't make those names accurate. Roughrider State is a tourism ploy. Not quite sure how many times it bears repeating, but, the Roughriders were never here.

I have pointed this out before as well - Michigan is "The Wolverine State," yet there hasn't been an actual wolverine spotted in Michigan in a long, long time.

I have pointed this out before as well - Michigan is "The Wolverine State," yet there hasn't been an actual wolverine spotted in Michigan in a long, long time.

Historical and geographic relevance does not define a nickname - how many bengal tigers are in Pocatello, tigers in Colorado Springs, vandals in Moscow? How many jaguars are in Cedar Falls, penguins in Youngstown, kangaroos in Kansas City?

The Sioux name was both historically and geographically relevant, PLUS it was unique. Unfortunately, no name is ever going to be as fitting, but I am in the camp that a name should be chosen. Sica has been right all along in saying that if no name is championed by invested stakeholders, UND will probably be saddled with something milk toast, bland and politically correct.

Historical and geographic relevance does not define a nickname - how many bengal tigers are in Pocatello, tigers in Colorado Springs, vandals in Moscow? How many purple jaguars are in Cedar Falls, penguins in Youngstown, kangaroos in Kansas City?

Fixed your post for you. 

My biggest issue with the name Roughriders is that isn't even unique in it's own town.  I know that it has been pointed out that there are other places where the HS adopted the same name as the college, but vice versa?  UND has a chance to have a unique name.  Let's not settle for a name that is going to cause confusion when you open your GF Herald sports page and say "which Roughriders?".

I have had a lot of nicknames ideas over the years, some good and some really bad, but UND Arrows with the modified interlocking "ND", I believe, has the most potential.  http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/9644-random-nickname-ideas/?p=744879

• Upvote 1

Personal opinion - I keep being intrigued Nokotas or Wild Nokotas.  Can be a little bit of a mouthful when saying the whole thing but I like the options that I've seen for logos and it is definitely unique along with having ties to North Dakota.  Can also be shortened up "Nokes" to fill in for where "Sioux" was used in various chants/cheers/etc.

• Upvote 2

Personal opinion - I keep being intrigued Nokotas or Wild Nokotas.  Can be a little bit of a mouthful when saying the whole thing but I like the options that I've seen for logos and it is definitely unique along with having ties to North Dakota.  Can also be shortened up "Nokes" to fill in for where "Sioux" was used in various chants/cheers/etc.

I have kept an open mind on Nokota as well.  Deffinitely original.  No other team has that name.  It is our state horse.  Also, I am with you on the shortening it to "Nokes".  I mean really, how many people yelled "Go Fighting Sioux" at a UND sporting event.  That was our official name and it was shortened all the time.  IS it really that big of a deal that our nickname and school name would rhyme?!!

• Upvote 1

I like Nokes.

Let's go Nokes is a good chant. It is unique. They are really cool animals. I've gotten to see more of then lately living in western ND, and having a buddy live in Medora. They are pretty majestic. They could be a cool logo. I would love if they could add feathers to the horse's mane, which would be very similar to the Sioux logo's feather. I've always thought that would be a cool homage. 

I'm still the guy who suggested wolves, and I still really like that idea. I understand some think it is too generic. I've tried looking at different languages (Native American Languages, some are pretty hard to search within, Germna, various Scandanavian languages, stuff like that), and I haven't found anything that quite rolls of the tongue and works great (or at least as good as Wolves). Maybe someone else on here could find something here that I've missed.

Other ideas I like are Moose or Elk (more Badland travelling), but something doesn't feel right about them. 

Badlanders is kinda cool while I'm on this kick.

I know some people don't like the thought of animals, but I'm not really against it all. I would just prefer to be a predator. The whole wolf angle is pretty cool to me because of their prey and how drastic they change even change the landscape of their territory (metaphor type crap). 

• Upvote 3

I like Nokes.

Let's go Nokes is a good chant. It is unique. They are really cool animals. I've gotten to see more of then lately living in western ND, and having a buddy live in Medora. They are pretty majestic. They could be a cool logo. I would love if they could add feathers to the horse's mane, which would be very similar to the Sioux logo's feather. I've always thought that would be a cool homage. 

A couple mock-ups that someone did a while back kind of incorporate the feathers at least in the coloring of the mane.  By no means a finished item or anything like that but the guy said when he did it, he tried to incorporate the Bennett Brien logo.  I've seen a few other mock-ups that don't use that but when you talk about paying homage, I think these do a pretty good job.

bh16ph.jpg

1z6bion.jpg

1253q5g.jpg

21e6z3n.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like Nokes.

I'm still the guy who suggested wolves, and I still really like that idea. I understand some think it is too generic. I've tried looking at different languages (Native American Languages, some are pretty hard to search within, Germna, various Scandanavian languages, stuff like that), and I haven't found anything that quite rolls of the tongue and works great (or at least as good as Wolves). Maybe someone else on here could find something here that I've missed.

Other ideas I like are Moose or Elk (more Badland travelling), but something doesn't feel right about them. 

Badlanders is kinda cool while I'm on this kick.

I know some people don't like the thought of animals, but I'm not really against it all. I would just prefer to be a predator. The whole wolf angle is pretty cool to me because of their prey and how drastic they change even change the landscape of their territory (metaphor type crap). 

What's the reaction from the Horse Community to this logo?  I have a feeling it might be naaaaay. :)  Hey, I'm here all week, folks.

• Upvote 3

10 years isn't a long, long time.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4374309/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/first-michigan-wolverine-spotted-years/#.VLAHfnl0yUk

Ok...maybe that's splitting hairs a bit. :)

A couple mock-ups that someone did a while back kind of incorporate the feathers at least in the coloring of the mane.  By no means a finished item or anything like that but the guy said when he did it, he tried to incorporate the Bennett Brien logo.  I've seen a few other mock-ups that don't use that but when you talk about paying homage, I think these do a pretty good job.

bh16ph.jpg

1z6bion.jpg

1253q5g.jpg

21e6z3n.jpg

Those are pretty sweet actually, add some feathers, Fighting Nokotas..The Nokes... Not horrible, better than 95% of other stuff I have seen/heard here.

• Upvote 1

Those are pretty sweet actually, add some feathers, Fighting Nokotas..The Nokes... Not horrible, better than 95% of other stuff I have seen/heard here.

Kind of my feelings as well.  It is unique and North Dakota ties, two things I'm a fan of.  Other than finding them or following a link a while back, I can't take any credit for them, whoever hettinger_rl at sportslogo.net is the one who created them.  Link to the UND thread here.

Guessing they'd have to be a little careful on adding some feathers as it would start to get the NCAA all worked up by them claiming it to be Native American imagery (see William and Mary's issues).  I kind of like how the colors were incorporated into the mane, seems like a work-around of sorts on that.

• Upvote 1

A logo like one of those would really help bridge the old to the new.  It still has the feel of the old logo, but it's something new.  I could actually get on board with that one, and I haven't been a big fan of anything else I've seen or heard yet.

That being said they would probably see the similarities and shoot it down.

So if we decided we wanted a bird for a logo it couldn't have feathers? 

Least the logo would fit the criteria for many that it be "unique" and something no other school has..................

Least the logo would fit the criteria for many that it be "unique" and something no other school has..................

As long as the bird is extinct...say pterodactyls...then the NCAA is okay with it.  See University of Illinois for precedent.