SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Not so unique to birds if the team name is Tribe. The 2 together give a Native American connotation. If the team name is Arrows and the logo includes an arrow it might fly.

Sure, it's safe to assume that the NCAA will never link an arrow with the previous school nickname of "Fighting Sioux," will they?

We changed our name, W&M did not. Very different situations. I understand that there are certain people that are very sensative to NA nicknames but I don't believe anyone could possibly be offensed by "the Arrows". That being said, there is always someone who wants to be heard. But if someone were to speak out against Arrows, not even the NCAA would listen

Sure, it's safe to assume that the NCAA will never link an arrow with the previous school nickname of "Fighting Sioux," will they?

I see your point but this is where we have to stand our ground, as I've posted before.  At some point, the NCAA's position tips, and public opinion is no longer on their side.   IF we should decide "Arrows" is the best nickname, then I say we fight that battle.

I see your point but this is where we have to stand our ground, as I've posted before.  At some point, the NCAA's position tips, and public opinion is no longer on their side.   IF we should decide "Arrows" is the best nickname, then I say we fight that battle.

Let's get away from anything NA and go the opposite direction..."Bullets".  Cowboys used bullets.......................... 

Any takers there?

WM is called the Tribe. They argued that they should keep the name because it is not necessarily a NA name. Coupled with the imagery of their logo that is a hard argument to make. So they compromised by removing the imagery. We on the other hand removed all that was deemed offensive. An arrow logo with the name "Arrows" in no way associated with NA or any ethnicity for that matter. So then you tell me, what would be the NCAAs argument?

WM is called the Tribe. They argued that they should keep the name because it is not necessarily a NA name. Coupled with the imagery of their logo that is a hard argument to make. So they compromised by removing the imagery. We on the other hand removed all that was deemed offensive. An arrow logo with the name "Arrows" in no way associated with NA or any ethnicity for that matter. So then you tell me, what would be the NCAAs argument?

I get what you are saying but IMO considering any possible nickname or logo that could possibly be attached to anything NA is just a horrible idea.

I agree with you 100%. We just can't forget that the whole NCAA movement was based on race and ethnicity. With the logo that was presented on this thread, I don't see how the NCAA can catagorize it as such.

wandmfeathers75.gif

I see two feathers.  The NCAA sees "Indian imagery." 

If I go bow hunting am I impersonating an Indian? An arrow is used by many kinds of people for centuries, not just NA's. Banning us for the name arrows would be the same as banning NDSU for the name Bison. Yes it's kinda NA related but then again it's not.

From the NCAA website...

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

I don't see how an arrow can be assigned to a race, ethnicity or national origin.  The idea of Arrows came to my mind while reading Robin Hood with my son.