SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

Here's what they predicted for the region...they also broke down each district...IIRC, Lankin-Adams came out of this region (not sure though)

1 Cavalier

2 Border Central

3 Langdon

4 Bisbee-Egeland

5 Cando

6 Lankin-Adams

7 Park River

8 North Border

Cavalier had Todd Olson back then................

Cavalier had Todd Olson back then................

Langdon had Darren Romfo, Wayne Waslaski (sp)...Lankin had Troy Ellingson, Joel Johnson...Park River had Rich Schildberger, Bob Porter, Joe Shoults...lotsa good ball players in that area back then.

Langdon had Darren Romfo, Wayne Waslaski (sp)...Lankin had Troy Ellingson, Joel Johnson...Park River had Rich Schildberger, Bob Porter, Joe Shoults...lotsa good ball players in that area back then.

Langdon was better a couple years after that with Todd Domres and company.

The 83-84 Lankin-Adams team was one of the best I ever saw.  They would just steamroll people with full-court pressure from the opening tip and be up by 25 points before the other team even knew what was going on.  How they only finished 6th in Bismarck that year is beyond me.  Langdon...Charlie Jordan could flat out coach. 

Since some folks here like the name UND Roughriders, I did a domain search on undroughriders and found that it is already registered by 1 & 1 INTERNET AG.

Well that's good.

Hopefully now we can forget about honoring cowboys from New Mexico that forgot their horses at home when they fought in Cuba.

True, there is an award called the Teddy Roosevelt Roughrider Award.  I don't want UND's nickname to be because there happens to be an award, in north Dakota, called Roughrider.  It seems a bit of a stretch to nickname UND after an award named for a President who spent some time in N.D., who also happened to lead a cavalry from an entirely different part of the country to war in Cuba, during a different chapter of his life.

The actual Roughriders themselves were almost all from the southwestern states, and their misfortunes getting to the war and how they were forced to fight, were something out of a Monty Python script.   

Teddy Roosevelt is about the only link the Roughriders had to North Dakota.   North Dakota Tourism has done a great job fabricating a link between the Roughriders and north Dakota over the years.   If imagined history is what we decide to nickname UND after, so be it.    I'll just be hoping the committee formed by the other committee formed by their other brother darell's committee,  don't choose Roughriders.  

True, there is an award called the Teddy Roosevelt Roughrider Award.  I don't want UND's nickname to be because there happens to be an award, in north Dakota, called Roughrider.  It seems a bit of a stretch to nickname UND after an award named for a President who spent some time in N.D., who also happened to lead a cavalry from an entirely different part of the country to war in Cuba, during a different chapter of his life.

The actual Roughriders themselves were almost all from the southwestern states, and their misfortunes getting to the war and how they were forced to fight, were something out of a Monty Python script.   

Teddy Roosevelt is about the only link the Roughriders had to North Dakota.   North Dakota Tourism has done a great job fabricating a link between the Roughriders and north Dakota over the years.   If imagined history is what we decide to nickname UND after, so be it.    I'll just be hoping the committee formed by the other committee formed by their other brother darell's committee,  don't choose Roughriders.  

So do you or don't you want a name that is hostorically tied to North Dakota??

True, there is an award called the Teddy Roosevelt Roughrider Award. I don't want UND's nickname to be because there happens to be an award, in north Dakota, called Roughrider. It seems a bit of a stretch to nickname UND after an award named for a President who spent some time in N.D., who also happened to lead a cavalry from an entirely different part of the country to war in Cuba, during a different chapter of his life.

The actual Roughriders themselves were almost all from the southwestern states, and their misfortunes getting to the war and how they were forced to fight, were something out of a Monty Python script.

Teddy Roosevelt is about the only link the Roughriders had to North Dakota. North Dakota Tourism has done a great job fabricating a link between the Roughriders and north Dakota over the years. If imagined history is what we decide to nickname UND after, so be it. I'll just be hoping the committee formed by the other committee formed by their other brother darell's committee, don't choose Roughriders.

ND is called the Roughrider State, along with the Peace Garden State.