SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Yeah, but you don’t seem to understand. this doesn’t meet the agenda of folks whose expertise comes from watching ESPN, revolving their lives and happiness on how their athletic teams perform, and beer. (Nothing against beer).
As a guy who started 4,yrs in the defensive secondary, with a passion for excellence as an athlete and successful businessman, what would you know?
You make important points about the hire. Thus far,  the detractors don’t seem to be able to get past that he hasn’t played or coached anywhere else, that our team/secondary hasn’t met their expectations, and that Bubba hired him.  Maybe they will be right,  Bubba and Chaves want to win and their jobs ultimately depend on moving the program forward. Hiring from outside an organization is an important consideration in athletics and business but not either the only consideration nor the most important one. 
Your points about his success as a player, relationships with players, and ability to recruit, are factors more important in a hire than where he coached last.  He has earned a shot. Time will tell. 

1. Give the guy a chance

2. I agree with Ira… his innate abilities are more important than where he coached.

3. Since he has coached multiple defensive positions for multiple years…. Many could consider that a benefit.

As far as names not on the 2023 roster who were on the 2022….. 2 ST, 8 O, and 18 D. I say he has his work cut out for him and he needs our support.  I hope we can add more defensive players….

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

It is possible that Joel has his own way of running the defense now he's in charge.  Joel is a really solid dude and I would call him a definite players coach, good for recruiting.  Fun Fact - as a player he had 3 picks vrs Texas Tech.

I hope so.

I remember the 3 picks like it was yesterday. Wasn’t at the game, but I was listening to the live radio broadcast. Lot of hype for that game as Mike Leach had just led Texas Tech to an 11-2 season in 2008, the year before UND played in Lubbock, and it was UND’s first FBS game as an FCS school. 

RIP Mike Leach, another really solid dude. 

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

Here is a list of players who were not on the Fall 2022 roster, who are on the Spring 2023 roster. 

• Griffin Jr (5th) - DL <Northern Illinois>
  • Saltonstall (Sr) - DL <New Mexico>
  • Eliodor (5th) - WR <South Dakota>
  • Egunjobi (Jr) - OL <Manitoba>
  • German (Jr) - OL <Purdue>

Guys that I didn't see anything reported on, potential surprises. German

https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/gus-german/10881

Big dude, good student. We'll have to wait to see what he's like in the trenches.

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/gus-german/10881

Big dude, good student. We'll have to wait to see what he's like in the trenches.

Doesn't look like he was on the roster in 2022.  Also looks like he only played one year of high school football so is likely still a bit raw.  Is an aviation major based on some articles I saw from high school.

5 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Doesn't look like he was on the roster in 2022.  Also looks like he only played one year of high school football so is likely still a bit raw.  Is an aviation major based on some articles I saw from high school.

Makes sense as Purdue is one of those big flight schools like UND.  I see he's even bigger weight-wise on our roster. Probably want to cut about 10-15#s

A couple of notes.

• O-Line returning all 8 players that started a game last year. Anderson being up to 305 is notable. 
  • Looking at weights.
    • ILB - All 6 are between 230 / 235. Young group. No 5th Years / Seniors.
    • OLB - All 6 are between 220 / 225.
    • NT - Depth is bigger. Return 4 of 5 from last year. Lose Morrison (290), pick up Griffin Jr. (305). Beach / Orlando stay at 290, but Olson (280) and Schweigert (275) both now R-FR are getting closer.
  • Need more RB's. Need a transfer with size. They are really thin at that position. 

Questions:

• Wait and see approach with the D-Line. A lot depends on the production of Griffin Jr. / Saltonstall. Is Teiken ready to take that step? Will Schultz take that next step? Will be an improved group. Good news is they will be better regardless, but the key is by how much. 
  • What do they have with the underclassman @ LB (Parks / McNeal / Baretz / Feterl)? They need at 3 of the underclassman to hit this year. Is that realistic?
  • What do they do at Safety? Are they all in on Buckner hitting his stride year 2 in the program (possibility). Fort being the #1 guy (possibility). Ball / Davis being improved. Sutton? I'm more pro-KK than most, just not sure he's one we can expect this huge improvement with. 

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Yeah, but you don’t seem to understand. this doesn’t meet the agenda of folks whose expertise comes from watching ESPN, revolving their lives and happiness on how their athletic teams perform, and beer. (Nothing against beer).
As a guy who started 4,yrs in the defensive secondary, with a passion for excellence as an athlete and successful businessman, what would you know?
You make important points about the hire. Thus far,  the detractors don’t seem to be able to get past that he hasn’t played or coached anywhere else, that our team/secondary hasn’t met their expectations, and that Bubba hired him.  Maybe they will be right,  Bubba and Chaves want to win and their jobs ultimately depend on moving the program forward. Hiring from outside an organization is an important consideration in athletics and business but not either the only consideration nor the most important one. 
Your points about his success as a player, relationships with players, and ability to recruit, are factors more important in a hire than where he coached last.  He has earned a shot. Time will tell. 

I get that you thoroughly enjoy bagging on anyone that might not wear the greenest of green shaded glasses...but the fact that our DC has ZERO years of coaching experience outside of Grand Forks and our OC has one year of D3 position coaching and one year of HS position coaching experience outside of UND is not the strength that you think it is.  Danny's done a decent job with his side of the ball, and Joel might too...but that lack of diversity doesn't serve the program very well in my opinion (is it because nobody else wants to come here for what we offer?  Nobody wants to work for Bubba?  Or are we too closed-minded about doing things "a little differently than we have in the past"?)...but then again I learned everything I know about the game from ESPN, so my opinion obviously shouldn't matter...

In my opinion when you consider the body of work...I don't think Joel EARNED the job...that being said he's loyal and the timing of the hire sucks...so he's going to get a chance that he may or may not actually deserve.  I hope he does something good with it...because if he doesn't us "detractors" are going to be ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE on this board come fall...haha!

And in reference to the bolded part of your post...job performance matters.  It matters in the real world...it matters in coaching...and it SHOULD matter in Grand Forks (more than it currently does IMO).  Like I said I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...but I'm not confident.  I hope he proves me wrong...

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Hiring from outside an organization is an important consideration in athletics and business but not either the only consideration nor the most important one. 

This isn’t the only gripe. Bubba’s way of doing things has led UND to win 55% of the games they play. Sample size is sufficient (9 seasons). Is that where UND football should be? Where you want it to be?

You can bathe us in detailed monologue all you want, but you’re really just distracting towards true detraction, rather than away from it. Not so sure over-familiarity with the way things are done is the best strategy; actually, it just plain isn’t. 

“Familiarity breeds complacency.”

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

2. I agree with Ira… his innate abilities are more important than where he coached.

He didn’t get promoted due to his innate abilities, he got promoted because UND football is underfunded and under-staffed. Previous D coordinator decided to leave last second in February, delaying spring ball. Previous position of new D coordinator was safeties coach, arguably the worst position on the team over the past couple seasons. 

New DC was lazily handed this promotion, he did not earn it. But, for UND football’s sake, I hope he does great. 

• Upvote 3

Like I said before in some people’s eyes there are no good coaches.

‘if they stay here too long they re no good, if someone is hired from d2 or other fcs or fbs there must be something wrong with them’ the only good coaches are ones we don’t have or didn’t get 

let’s give them a chance to improve our players

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, UND08 said:

In my opinion when you consider the body of work...I don't think Joel EARNED the job...that being said he's loyal and the timing of the hire sucks...so he's going to get a chance that he may or may not actually deserve.  I hope he does something good with it...because if he doesn't us "detractors" are going to be ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE on this board come fall...haha!

And in reference to the bolded part of your post...job performance matters.  It matters in the real world...it matters in coaching...and it SHOULD matter in Grand Forks (more than it currently does IMO).  Like I said I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...but I'm not confident.  I hope he proves me wrong...

No doubts about that!!  I am concerned about personnel on D, Joel has a lot of challenges ahead.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There may be some very good reasons there was an opening which also affected the timing, of the resignation, but it’s no longer relevant. 
Looking in from the outside, we have no idea why this guy was hired instead of someone else. We have no idea who, if anyone else, was contacted, nor how those discussions went if they occurred. You have no idea how much time and energy went into this hire. You have no clue how many others were contacted, considered or interviewed informally.  
You have no basis to call this “lazy”.  
Your claim that this coach didn’t “earn” this opportunity shows a rather shallow understanding of the amount of time, effort and sacrifice these assistants put into their job. That comment was one made years ago when Tom Clifford intervened before Ned Harkness took the hockey job and we hired an “inbred” former player and assistant coach of a team that was not good. That seemed to have worked out. 
Frankly, it doesn’t matter what you and I think. We aren’t going to lose our jobs over this decision.  This may be a great choice or it may not work out. Neither my hope for success, nor your perpetual criticism will make any difference. 

Stop deflecting. It was obvious which direction Bubba was going to go from the get-go. Predetermined decisions due to a lazy predictable decision-making process. Your justifications are just as predictable. 

Bubba has one hand tied behind his back because of poor funding, but I’m not sure the free hand is all that capable, either. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

found this article.  Both parents are Air Force grads 

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2019/10/02/new-football-gus-german-has-become-300-pound-force-central-catholic/3836913002/

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He didn’t get promoted due to his innate abilities, he got promoted because UND football is underfunded and under-staffed. Previous D coordinator decided to leave last second in February, delaying spring ball. Previous position of new D coordinator was safeties coach, arguably the worst position on the team over the past couple seasons. 

New DC was lazily handed this promotion, he did not earn it. But, for UND football’s sake, I hope he does great. 

How do you know who else was either officially or unofficially in conversations about the job? It isn't like the change was announced the next day and there wasn't time for other conversations. 
Not unexpected but a lot of assumptions on your part.

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

job performance matters.  It matters in the real world...it matters in coaching...and it SHOULD matter in Grand Forks (more than it currently does IMO).  Like I said I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...but I'm not confident.  I hope he proves me wrong...

Yes it does. And the person who made the hire is putting his fate in the new hire's hands. They have a lot more on the line than you do.

Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. Same thing would be true of pretty much any hire. I think (hope) we're all on the same page and see the return of an attacking defense that can get to the QB and not leave our secondary out to dry.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

No doubts about that!!  I am concerned about personnel on D, Joel has a lot of challenges ahead.  

I am too...I get that he brings continuity but last year's performance was a major letdown in my book...I like some of the portal additions but there are a lot of questions for me.