SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

20 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Who got smaller, besides Carroll?

10 guys weigh less this Spring than last Fall.

• Down 10lbs: Fischer
  • Down 5lbs: Bishop, Romfo, Strandell, Ziebarth, Hackel, Buckner, Schultz, Norby, Carroll

The only two that jump out are Carroll and Schultz. 

On the opposite side.

• Up 25lbs: Olson
  • Up 20lbs: Anderson
  • Up 15lbs: Baretz, South
  • Up 10 lbs: 11 Players
  • Up 5 lbs: 16 Players

• No Change: 37

Maybe there were changes that he would have made to improve the performance, but since he wasn't DC, such changes weren't made?

Look at Freund for example.  Our offense was generally pretty bad when he was an assistant coach under Rudolph.  Now we know that his philosophy was completely different than his OC.

Does he coach like Rudolph?  Do we know what the new DC's thoughts are?  Given that he was a DB coach, maybe he is sick of seeing the DB's left out on an island and knows what changes to make.  Maybe he has differing opinions from the former DC about other aspects of the defense.  Guessing you guys don't know one way or the other.  Let the guy at least speak first...

• Upvote 4

If we're allow wild speculation, how do I know that the old DC didn't leave because the safeties coach was better on the radios on gameday (meaning calls and schemes) and the HC saw it and the old DC saw the handwriting on the wall.

We know what we see publicly. That is seldom the whole story. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Stop deflecting. It was obvious which direction Bubba was going to go from the get-go. Predetermined decisions due to a lazy predictable decision-making process. Your justifications are just as predictable. 

Bubba has one hand tied behind his back because of poor funding, but I’m not sure the free hand is all that capable, either. 

I pointed out that you make assumptions and use your assumptions to state your opinions as if they are facts. I raised fair questions for which you have no answers. Tell me the details of how the decision was made, what is in the signed contract, and what process was used to reach the decision, cuz I don’t know. If you know so much, why have you no evidence to support your claims of a “lazy predictable decision making process “?  That is as weak as your nonsense that hard working guy hasn’t “earned” a chance.   Joel may or may not be the right choice but he has “earned” the opportunity. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I pointed out that you make assumptions and use your assumptions to state your opinions as if they are facts. I raised fair questions for which you have no answers. Tell me the details of how the decision was made, what is in the signed contract, and what process was used to reach the decision, cuz I don’t know. If you know so much, why have you no evidence to support your claims of a “lazy predictable decision making process “?  That is as weak as your nonsense that hard working guy hasn’t “earned” a chance.   Joel may or may not be the right choice but he has “earned” the opportunity. 

Let’s see what happens.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

And just to be clear, this message board is the furthest thing from a court room. There’s plenty of evidence to go around, but you really have to be quite ignorant (and lazy) to not acknowledge it *unless* we apparently proceed with a deposition and present several exhibits for your liking. Again, I also choose to not answer your several questions for that reason (and because it doesn’t have to be all spilled out on this medium); not because you raised questions for which I have no answers. 

Again, let’s see what happens. UND football is up against it with funding issues, so that is a challenge, but I also don’t agree with their current leadership and hiring processes. That could be done better, regardless of budget. 

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And just to be clear, this message board is the furthest thing from a court room. There’s plenty of evidence to go around, but you really have to be quite ignorant (and lazy) to not acknowledge it *unless* I proceed with a deposition and present several exhibits for your liking. Again, I also do not have to answer your several questions for that reason; not because I “have no answers for your questions”. 

Again, let’s see what happens. UND football is up against it with funding issues, so that is a challenge, but I also don’t agree with their current leadership and hiring processes. That could be done better, regardless of budget. 

Thank you Judge Judy.
So now you have decided I’m “ignorant” and lazy because I question how you reach your conclusions. If that makes you feel better, good for you. I was only giving you an opportunity to give us any excuse to lend any credibility to your statements. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There’s plenty of evidence to go around

Well, fill us all in.
All we know is that it was publicly announced Holinka was stepping down down February 11 and JS was named DC on February 27.
What are the specifics on what happened before anything was made public and the 2+ weeks in between?

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Thank you Judge Judy.
So now you have decided I’m “ignorant” and lazy because I question how you reach your conclusions. If that makes you feel better, good for you. I was only giving you an opportunity to give us any excuse to lend any credibility to your statements. 

I’ll take Judge Judy as a compliment; thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Thank you Judge Judy.

The longer you bang your head against the wall, the sooner you realize you aren't doing your head or the wall any good.

You're better than worrying about certain other's opinions.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, shep said:

The longer you bang your head against the wall, the sooner you realize you aren't doing your head or the wall any good.

You're better than worrying about certain other's opinions.

No worries. He doesn’t bother me. I find him amusing at times. 

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He didn’t get promoted due to his innate abilities, he got promoted because UND football is underfunded and under-staffed. Previous D coordinator decided to leave last second in February, delaying spring ball. Previous position of new D coordinator was safeties coach, arguably the worst position on the team over the past couple seasons. 

New DC was lazily handed this promotion, he did not earn it. But, for UND football’s sake, I hope he does great. 

I believe Schwenzfeier and Holinka were the two finalists when Holinka was hired so maybe he was hired based on his abilities. 

10 hours ago, AJS said:

A couple of notes.

• O-Line returning all 8 players that started a game last year. Anderson being up to 305 is notable. 
  • Looking at weights.
    • ILB - All 6 are between 230 / 235. Young group. No 5th Years / Seniors.
    • OLB - All 6 are between 220 / 225.
    • NT - Depth is bigger. Return 4 of 5 from last year. Lose Morrison (290), pick up Griffin Jr. (305). Beach / Orlando stay at 290, but Olson (280) and Schweigert (275) both now R-FR are getting closer.
  • Need more RB's. Need a transfer with size. They are really thin at that position. 

Questions:

• Wait and see approach with the D-Line. A lot depends on the production of Griffin Jr. / Saltonstall. Is Teiken ready to take that step? Will Schultz take that next step? Will be an improved group. Good news is they will be better regardless, but the key is by how much. 
  • What do they have with the underclassman @ LB (Parks / McNeal / Baretz / Feterl)? They need at 3 of the underclassman to hit this year. Is that realistic?
  • What do they do at Safety? Are they all in on Buckner hitting his stride year 2 in the program (possibility). Fort being the #1 guy (possibility). Ball / Davis being improved. Sutton? I'm more pro-KK than most, just not sure he's one we can expect this huge improvement with. 

Also hoping for a RB. They didn’t get Hoosman until May so plenty of time. Should be an easier sell for a transfer, just look at what the last guy did. Plus the whole line is back.

20 hours ago, AJS said:

• Down 5lbs: Bishop, Romfo, Strandell, Ziebarth, Hackel, Buckner, Schultz, Norby, Carroll

On the opposite side.

Didn’t Carroll and Schulz have injuries?

21 hours ago, AJS said:

On the opposite side.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, the green team said:

Your one trick pony show of criticizing anything this program does is pre-determined and is a complete deflection

Wrong. 55% winning percentage not good enough.

But I do hope everyone does well and UND football finally ascends after the long wait. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/28/2023 at 11:22 AM, AJS said:

Spring Roster is out. Here is the list of players who were on the 2022 Fall roster who are not on the Spring 2023 roster. 

• Agyekum (So) - DB
  • Coley (Jr) - DB
  • Lennon (Jr) - DL
  • Keech (Jr) - DL
  • Thorsness (Jr) - DL
  • Morrison (Gr) - DL
  • Ledbetter (Fr) - DL
  • Fenelon (5th) - K
  • White (Sr) - LB
  • MVJ (Sr) - LB
  • Kimball (Jr) - LB
  • Cooper (Gr) - LB
  • Lehman (Fr) - LB
  • Krzanowski (5th) - LB
  • Christian (Sr) - OL
  • Weber (So) - OL
  • Neustel (Jr) - OL
  • Oliphant (Gr) - OL
  • Kelzenberg (Fr) - OL
  • Peterson (5th) - P
  • Mitchell (So) - RB
  • Hoosman (Gr) - RB
  • Moe-Tucker (Fr) - RB
  • Steckler (Sr) - TE
  • Zavalney (Jr) - TE
  • Burian (Sr) - WR
  • Preston (Jr) - WR
  • Maag (5th) - WR

Guys that I didn't see anything reported on, potential surprises. Agyekum, Lennon, Weber, Kelzenberg, Mitchell. 

Sorting through this list - if someone isn't participating in spring ball (injury, school conflicts) would they not be on the spring roster but still on the team? Several on this graduated or used up their eligibility correct. 

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Sorting through this list - if someone isn't participating in spring ball (injury, school conflicts) would they not be on the spring roster but still on the team? Several on this graduated or used up their eligibility correct. 

Have we missed guys who went to the Portal?