SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The next-up position coach hire is a real doozy. Don’t worry, no surprises. More inbreeding awaits. 

I for one agree with most of your statements on the program.  The school to the south also does a lot of hiring from within, deference is that they've been winning and have proven that it works for them.  Here, not so much.

8 hours ago, ND-fan said:

The question then comes are we far behind the top two teams because of coaching or is because of not being supported by university enough or because we haven't had level of success to help build the program to next level to compete.

I would say it’s a combination of the first two (coaching and support/finances). All successful programs start out not having success and have to start somewhere. You’re right- UND is a 3rd place program right now, but will UND do what is necessary to get over the hump? Are we content with 3rd place? Do we [UND and its supporters] want a 1st place championship caliber football program or not? 

14 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The next-up position coach hire is a real doozy. Don’t worry, no surprises. More inbreeding awaits. 

If what I heard last week is accurate, I was a bit surprised but definitely intrigued.

More interested in finding out who's going to be the new RB coach (or however they end up shuffling things around).

I'm sure it has been mentioned along the way here but I can't imagine there were too many guys with a good resume available in late February.  Willing to see how Schwenzfeier does.  We all know we need more size/speed on D to take the leap.  

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Despite my gripes, the guys themselves getting hired are great people. They’re all great guys to sit down and have a beer with. But, at what point does winning and escalating the program become more important than community relations? 

I'd bet having a beer with you is quite the experience.  Imagine what they can learn from you!!

20 minutes ago, lets eat said:

I'd bet having a beer with you is quite the experience.  Imagine what they can learn from you!!

I bet they love hearing how they don’t want to win, are D2 coaches and have a roster of D2 players.  

1 minute ago, homer said:

I bet they love hearing how they don’t want to win, are D2 coaches and have a roster of D2 players.  

Don't forget underpaid. Guys love to be told that even if they have a job they want and love. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, homer said:

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't forget underpaid. Guys love to be told that even if they have a job they want and love. 

Good job fellas, good job.

36 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Personally, I would love to have a beer or more with all on this site.

didnt Dosch used to coach at Jamestown college?

Then he was the head coach at Northern.  Before that he was at SIU.  Was the LB coach at UND for some of the best.  

If you talk to people in Aberdeen he did a lot to get those facilities to where they are now.  

Brings a lot of 3-4 experience for a young D cord.  Makes that hire less risky in my opinion

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

“UND has not yet hired a replacement for Holinka.”

wouldn’t Kelly mean they haven’t hired a replacement for Schwenzfeier?

Kelly said Dosch was helping this spring.  No hire yet for LB that Holinka handled.  Maybe Dosch continues or this temporary.