SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Nose is at least looking better with 3 beef castles in there. Safety on the other hand… ouch

The nose position needs to be over 310 in a 3-4 system.  DE's need to be maulers, too, cause only 3 down lineman.   If a team wants to put the plow down on us nothing is stopping them from what I am seeing.  As lots have been critical of the 3-4 you need a really high end front 3 to run it.........and be strong at safety.  I think we are neither of these 2 things.  For any youngsters, "where's the beef!!"

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The nose position needs to be over 310 in a 3-4 system.  DE's need to be maulers, too, cause only 3 down lineman.   If a team wants to put the plow down on us nothing is stopping them from what I am seeing.  As lots have been critical of the 3-4 you need a really high end front 3 to run it.........and be strong at safety.  I think we are neither of these 2 things.  For any youngsters, "where's the beef!!"

I have always wanted a guy who’s like 340 at nose. Immovable. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Is Malachi McNeal going to be one of those younger guys that steps up this year and we see a lot more playing time and production from?  Seems like we thought he was a good get in the recruiting process.  

This is a question I had as well.  I know it was mainly special teams so far, but I’m hoping he takes a step

17 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Incarnate Word had a guy like 380 and NDSU struggled with him!!

They also put 5 down linemen at times and it worked well. UND is putting 3 linemen down and it's not working. How much more proof does a guy need that this god awful 3-4 isn't working. Especially in the MVFC!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

They also put 5 down linemen at times and it worked well. UND is putting 3 linemen down and it's not working. How much more proof does a guy need that this god awful 3-4 isn't working. Especially in the MVFC!

NDSU is the benchmark of the conference and based on that the 4-3 doesn’t work either.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Have there been any decent spring ball updates this year? I always thought Miller had a couple Herald articles and some other folks regularly posted on here.  I haven’t seen much of anything but wondering if I missed it.

Last week was spring break. 

Fall of 2021 our 3-4 gave up a total of 280 yards of offense to NDSU and 16 points (3 of which we handed to them by going for it on the 4th down), most teams I think would feel pretty good about that.  223 Net rushing yards, which is a quite a bit....but that's all they did is run...and 50-60 of it came on a late drive in the 4th quarter.  

I think Homer's point is.....other teams have a 4-3 and NDSU has steam rolled them too.  The 3-4 vs 4-3 is a legitimate debate, but bottom line is we need better/bigger players to run the scheme.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This'll twist some neurons:

There's a prominent poster on the NDSU forum advocating NDSU return to ... a 3-4.

(The poster in question played LB at NDSU and got a law degree at UND.) 

He was a year behind in LS. We played the annual Law v Medschool flag football game. He was FIERCE. Wanted to tackle anyone near him.

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

not as simple as just changing alignment. 

UND needs better players, that’s the bottom line. 

Not only a recruiting issue, but also a development issue. 

Our DL should all look like Austin Cieslak. 6’4” 290, long arms, skinny ankles. Haven’t had another one like him.