SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Credit to him, it always seemed like he was blocking his a** off despite never being involved in the offense 

1 hour ago, homer said:

Not taking sides but it’s not like he didn’t have opportunities to make some plays this year.  Don’t know enough about spring and fall camp to know if he should have had more.  

Not sure if there are any real sides to be taken here.  Seemed like he played his butt off when he was out there and was an asset.  Tommy was clearly locked in on Belquist this year as he had more receptions than the next 3-4 WR's combined.  Im sure Wes was disappointed in this year as he was hoping to play a big role in an explosive offense and our offense couldnt really figure itself out this year.  Im not a smart enough football guy to know if that was more Danny / Tommy or Wes.  If I would guess.. I would say that it was a Tommy/Danny issue as we didnt really feature the downfield pass.

11 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Not sure if there are any real sides to be taken here.  Seemed like he played his butt off when he was out there and was an asset.  Tommy was clearly locked in on Belquist this year as he had more receptions than the next 3-4 WR's combined.  Im sure Wes was disappointed in this year as he was hoping to play a big role in an explosive offense and our offense couldnt really figure itself out this year.  Im not a smart enough football guy to know if that was more Danny / Tommy or Wes.  If I would guess.. I would say that it was a Tommy/Danny issue as we didnt really feature the downfield pass.

Tommy Schuster’s lack of arm talent does not not allow for a consistent downfield passing game.  Schuster is liked because he makes good decisions and improvises, but his arm talent is very very mediocre for a division I quarterback. He also isn’t athletic enough for the way most college football is played nowadays. See QB running game this year from SDSU, NDSU, Sac State, etc. … Schuster can’t offer that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Transfer portal losses and additions will be purely a distraction; something to occupy peoples’ time without actually providing substance. Coaching ineptitude is the issue right now. Has been and will continue to be until there is deliberate change. Chaves can’t get any credit nor should he expect improvement if he is simply continuing to observe and not provide action. 

Yep.  Talent is not the issue.  Good coaching yesterday and we are travelling to Vermillion this week to play a team we would have defeated once this season with team which was "all coached up"...

This a broken record, year after year.

Spring 2021 we beat the runner up(would have been champs w/o injury to QB) and were rolling until we did a belly flop in Fargo.

Fall 2021 we would have defeated the champs without one of the worst coaching flops of all time and the season went down hill from there.

Fall 2022 we come out in first round and have no idea what is going on 'til mid way through the second quarter...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Talent is an issue, did you guys watch the game?

Talent is always a factor. The more talent you have, the more games you win. Very simple. But the key in college football is coaching; hence the major turnover around the country when finances aren’t an issue. There are several examples around the country annually where the talent remains the same but the results are different based on a change to the approach, message, leadership, schemes, teaching, etc. which all is considered in summary a change to coaching. 

UND / Grand Forks isn’t going to attract a different tier of student-athlete overnight, but coaching caliber change is more achievable in the short-term. 

The hope is the new facilities (Pollard Center phase II) will somehow instantly raise the level of athletes that come to Grand Forks. Need to be careful and temper the expectations with just that though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Talent is always a factor. The more talent you have, the more games you win. Very simple. But the key in college football is coaching; hence the major turnover around the country when finances aren’t an issue. There are several examples around the country annually where the talent remains the same but the results are different based on a change to the approach, message, leadership, schemes, teaching, etc. which all is considered in summary a change to coaching. 

UND / Grand Forks isn’t going to attract a different tier of student-athlete overnight, but coaching caliber change is more achievable in the short-term. 

The hope is the new facilities (Pollard Center phase II) will somehow instantly raise the level of athletes that come to Grand Forks. Need to be careful and temper the expectations with just that though. 

We resolved that on the Polar center one and two

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Talent is an issue, did you guys watch the game?

Multiple times we had guys in position to stop the qb running around the end for a loss or little gain. Time and time again he  simply outran our def player and got 10-15 yards.  Also telling was he kept his eyes downfield looking for next tackler and wasn’t even concerned about the first guy. He knew he’d just outrun him to the edge.  We need more speed on the outside for sure. 

• Upvote 3

Issues within this program are equal parts Coaching and talent. There becomes a point where hindsight isn't 20/20. Once you get about 1-5 on two-point conversions, maybe don't try them anymore unless the games on the line. They ended the year 1 for 7. Did a trick play work at all this year? Maybe stop doing them. Highlighting those two things, when looking at the start of the 4th. UND clearly has issues (1) Pass blocking (2) WR's getting open (3) Tommy's downfield throws. Run the ball. It's this weird thing where it's like, something rarely works, but let's keep trying it, because what are the chances it won't work again, type of thinking. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Both games are on the offensive coordinator. Couldn’t keep his dick in his pants in either game.

Agreed that Danny was bad both games. The defense has to be better against Sac St though. It’s not like the defense was on the field the majority of the game and didn’t get any rest.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Agreed that Danny was bad both games. The defense has to be better against Sac St though. It’s not like the defense was on the field the majority of the game and didn’t get any rest.

Defense had bad games (Sac State, Indiana State) and offense had bad games (South Dakota, UNI).

Dare I say it, is there an “overall” problem? 

Who is the “overall” leader of this team?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For some reason, against USD, and then again inexplicably against Sac, Danny turned down the free meal.

If you can take six yards up the A gap you take it. Every. Time. 

I don't understand why he stuck to the ground vs NDSU but not in those games.  Truly baffling, considering how well running the ball worked, and the final result....  Why fix what isn't broken?  Did they only run the ball vs NDSU because it was an ego thing?  I don't get it... they treated that game differently it seems. 

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Agree to disagree

Question to ponder on your disagreement on the supremacy of coaching in football...

If last February 1st Bubba and staff(all of it including medical, strength, training and support) would have been traded for SDSU staff, what do you think the outcome of the season would be as of today?

Would SDSU be undefeated in FCS and rolling to another title and would UND be 7-5 and thinking about next season?  I know what my answer would be...

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Question to ponder on your disagreement on the supremacy of coaching in football...

If last February 1st Bubba and staff(all of it including medical, strength, training and support) would have been traded for SDSU staff, what do you think the outcome of the season would be as of today?

Would SDSU be undefeated in FCS and rolling to another title and would UND be 7-5 and thinking about next season?  I know what my answer would be...

Settle down big boy.  Did I say our coaching is supreme?  All I said is discounting how average our players really are is not smart.  

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We could have beaten Sac State and USD with the exact same talent  We lost due to poor coaching.

Poor coaching didn't drop the potential interception or rough the opposing QB in the end zone on 3rd and, what, 15 or more, either of which could have/probably would have turned that game around.

• Upvote 1