SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

Too many unknown variables right now to make any type of prediction. We’ll know much more a month from now. Waiting to see a definite list of which Seniors are staying and using their Covid year. What Portal losses there are. An individual staying / leaving can make a huge impact on the roster. 

Can UND’s schedule be easier, but harder at the same time? The SOS will not be as tough next year, no doubt about that. Two non-conference home games, they’ll play what I’m guessing is the bottom 3 pre-season conference teams. I think they’ll be more “sure wins”. That being said, I don’t like the conference home/away schedule as much. More 50/50 road games (UNI/USD). 

What it’ll come down to every year, is eventually, this team will have to steal a win against the FBS/SDSU/NDSU portion of the schedule. Going 0-3 virtually every year is putting them in such a tough spot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

We finished with between 4 and 7 wins in 18, 19, 21, and 22. Our last four full seasons. Seems like a reasonable expectation for next year. Given that consistency, it would require significant off-season news in order for me to move off of that expectation. 

• Upvote 2

I think offensively we will be fine.  Maybe the portal provides a guy with some speed that can stretch a d even a little bit, but we've been saying that for a bit now.  I'll miss Hoosman, but I think we got guys that can step in. 

The defense is a mess.  Blow it up and start over.  Tackling and gap play was awful all year long.  So many missed game changing plays this year.

I think we go as far as our senior QB takes us.  

We have a program where a 5-6 coach who was 47-40 over 8 seasons was extended before his contract was up - and the 5-6 season involved some of the worst game management ever.  Said coach is extremely adverse to change.  How do you think the 23 season is going to go?  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think offensively we will be fine.  Maybe the portal provides a guy with some speed that can stretch a d even a little bit, but we've been saying that for a bit now.  I'll miss Hoosman, but I think we got guys that can step in. 

The defense is a mess.  Blow it up and start over.  Tackling and gap play was awful all year long.  So many missed game changing plays this year.

I think we go as far as our senior QB takes us.  

For the d, I said it in the gameday thread yesterday but I’ll reiterate. We have a D2 WR coaching linebackers right now. Let that sink in.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For the d, I said it in the gameday thread yesterday but I’ll reiterate. We have a D2 WR coaching linebackers right now. Let that sink in.

How impressive is Holinkas resume to be a D1 DC? That D2 WR you are talking about is probably here because of a connection to Rudolph… Seems to me Schwenzfeir was better when he was with OLB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Speculation about 2023 result seems nine months premature. 

Nah, we have a 9 year sample size of what this staff does in recruiting, development, and game planning. I agree, 4-7 to 7-4 is the range at this juncture, barring some major recruiting developments. 

55 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you look at the roster we will need another veteran portal RB with some size. We will be talented but thin at that spot.

This team went 7-5, it should be improved at all spots, but 1) edge rusher, 2) corner and … wait for it … 3) receiver are my top 3 position needs for 2023. 

I agree, RB and even a QB depth transfer is not a bad idea. 

UND needs to infuse FBS level talent on this team badly. If they can’t develop it, which I don’t think they can based on sample size, then go heavy on FBS transfers and JuCo kids.