SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maybe Bubba wanted to make a change to a 4-3 and Holinka saw the writing on the wall. Coaches should be able to coach in both schemes. 

this is an opportunity to hire outside of the current staff and to hire someone to run a 4-3. Due to timing of the resignation we might not get either unfortunately…..

At the end of the season, Bubba announced he would not change from the 3-4

3-4 shouldn’t be seen as the main problem. The problem last year is that we had very poor personnel at safety, OLB, and for the most part D-Line. Like @Midwestern Hawkstated above, I’m still worried about safety and OLB. There’s still time, but they did not use the portal to improve those areas. The defense will be better, but that’s mainly because it can’t be much worse. There are some things schematically I think they could do better, but I think the main problem is the personnel they have to work with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Are we sure Holinka didn’t get out on his own terms before next season?  Without major upgrades at LB and S(I don’t see it at this point), how is the defense going to be any better?   

There is still an opportunity to bring in transfers during or immediately after spring ball.  Roster is far from set.

10 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Are we sure Holinka didn’t get out on his own terms before next season?  Without major upgrades at LB and S(I don’t see it at this point), how is the defense going to be any better?   

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< ding > 

Winner. 

The timing of announcement gives hints as to what went on behind the scenes.  

Immediately after last game, Head Coach asks DC for assessment, top to bottom of players, training, and all the DC staff.  And presumably a list of what to change for next season to improve results. 

HC reviews the resulting assessment (couple weeks later), asks for changes (perhaps to DC staff).  They disagree.  HC says "its time to part ways, but I'll give you the chance to announce it to the world first".

Bottom line, I think there's more changes to come. 

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

When?  I haven't seen any evidence of that happening.  In fact, there is evidence to the contrary.

I don't remember when they said (I thought something was posted on this board saying this but could be wrong), I'll look into it and see if I can find it somewhere.  I could have sworn they said they raised the $$$

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba won’t touch anyone who could run things differently than him: narrow-minded in the twilight phase of his career.

More made up arguments.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My guess is Schwenzfeier gets promoted to DC. 

You could actually be right on this, but not for the reasons you think.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1