SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Tommy I feel like is like studsrud 

game manager 

nit built to come back from being down but once up hard for other team to come back

Probably pretty accurate. I do feel like Studsrud could have had a better career without Rudy but that’s a big what if. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

whatever minuses q has with his arm i think might be made up with his "willingness" to run unlike tommy who just doesn't seem to want to run for some reason

The problem is that when Q is in the game it telegraphs to the D that we are most likely going to run the ball.   I'll take the side that says two QB's is no QB.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, shep said:

I never liked Studsrud.

I like Tommy. 

I could be wrong, but I think he's quite a bit better.

Tommy is a much better true QB. More cerebral. Just feel like with Studsrud rushing ability he had something. Maybe he was further off from being a quality passer than I’m remembering. 

4 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Have we seen Quincey pass yet? He hasn’t had the opportunity much. 

If memory serves me right (it often doesn't) Quincy threw a short pass for  TD vs Utah State

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Lets move on to something UND related.

Can UND actually make this 2 QB system work?

Call it what you want ... gimmick, smoke and mirrors, etc.

I think its utilization really comes down to IF Tommy can run AND Quincy can throw. Without that you lose unpredictability and without unpredictability you lose effectiveness. If Quincy can come in on short yardage and consistently have a 15 -20 yard throw in the mix, and Tommy can pick up 6-7 yard first down runs periodically then this could work.

Defenses have typically know how to prepare for the QB changes because our QBs have been limited to their strengths. Have they expanded on those? I sure hope so.

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Probably pretty accurate. I do feel like Studsrud could have had a better career without Rudy but that’s a big what if. 

Stud may not have had the raw talent of Tommy but he was a tough SOB. Not that he didn't have tools but he definitely didn't have what Tommy does. If he had, and had not been stuck with Rudy, who know what he could have done. He sure made some great throws in that comeback win against N. AZ to win the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

9-2 this year maybe 8-3

Funny you should say this.  Last night I had the thought we could/should be 8-3 regular season.  Hopefully tacking on many more to the first number in the playoffs :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Call it what you want ... gimmick, smoke and mirrors, etc.

I think its utilization really comes down to IF Tommy can run AND Quincy can throw. Without that you lose unpredictability and without unpredictability you lose effectiveness. If Quincy can come in on short yardage and consistently have a 15 -20 yard throw in the mix, and Tommy can pick up 6-7 yard first down runs periodically then this could work.

Defenses have typically know how to prepare for the QB changes because our QBs have been limited to their strengths. Have they expanded on those? I sure hope so.

A lot of ifs in your comment; I’m afraid it is too optimistic; that is, wishful thinking.

When Tommy is in the game, you can still run. But if Quincy is in the game, can you throw? Tommy is the better option between these two if Quincy can’t develop a passing game, which is why Tommy was the de facto starter in 2021.

I think Tommy is ineffective running himself, but the offense can still run the ball via handoff, jet sweep, etc., even designed QB runs albeit they do not have huge play potential with Tommy Schuster running it. Bottom line for me, I am not impressed with Tommy’s arm talent at all from a DI perspective, but he usually makes good decisions and he’s the best passer UND has right now. Hopefully he improves or UND finds someone better, because the 2021 passing game was still deficient. The offensive line improving and boosting the inside run game would be a fabulous surprise for all parties involved.

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

whatever minuses q has with his arm i think might be made up with his "willingness" to run unlike tommy who just doesn't seem to want to run for some reason

Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the coaching staff hasnt wanted Tommy to run?  It seems obvious that running has beem his third option - appears that may change this year. As far as working with two QBs, I'm willing to give it a shot, if that is what the coaching staff sees. The old sage about "if you have 2 QBs..." is from a bygone era. 

8 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the coaching staff hasnt wanted Tommy to run?  It seems obvious that running is his third option - appears that may change this year. 

I think the staff does. Not sure which interview it was but he talked about adding that element to his game. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think the staff does. Not sure which interview it was but he talked about adding that element to his game. 

It is something they have continually worked on with him.
One of his biggest plusses is that he doesn't make mistakes and lives to play another down. They are working on finding that happy medium that sometimes its OK to throw into tighter coverage (need to put it where only your WR has a chance at it) and sometimes its OK to tuck it and get 3-7 yards (just be smart about it and don't take a big hit).

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the coaching staff hasnt wanted Tommy to run?  It seems obvious that running has beem his third option - appears that may change this year. As far as working with two QBs, I'm willing to give it a shot, if that is what the coaching staff sees. The old sage about "if you have 2 QBs..." is from a bygone era. 

u serious clark?  how many other games/qb's do you watch on tv where the pocket breaks down and he's off for 10, 20, long td bc they CAN and are willing to run?

if this is true where bubby and danny ae saying not to run we all sit here and wonder why bubba is a .500 winning percentage coach.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A lot of ifs in your comment; I’m afraid it is too optimistic; that is, wishful thinking.

When Tommy is in the game, you can still run. But if Quincy is in the game, can you throw? Tommy is the better option between these two if Quincy can’t develop a passing game, which is why Tommy was the de facto starter in 2021.

I think Tommy is ineffective running himself, but the offense can still run the ball via handoff, jet sweep, etc., even designed QB runs albeit they do not have huge play potential with Tommy Schuster running it. Bottom line for me, I am not impressed with Tommy’s arm talent at all from a DI perspective, but he usually makes good decisions and he’s the best passer UND has right now. Hopefully he improves or UND finds someone better, because the 2021 passing game was still deficient. The offensive line improving and boosting the inside run game would be a fabulous surprise for all parties involved.

Absolutely, by no means am I saying a 2 QB system works. Just calling out what is needed for it to be efficient every game. At this point I don't really think team have to prepare much for 2 QBs as you know primarily what they will be asked to do when they are in their. Both need to expand their skills sets and their game mentality before it really makes opponents uncomfortable.

I certainly hope they can do this because I would like to see Tommy run more and more effectively and I would like to see Q throw more and more accurately. 

We will see what happens.

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Yeah, maybe not so much designed runs, but certainly needs to be aware when there is 15 yards of open field in front of him and he needs 5 or 6. I don't expect him to be running the Brockstar formation, but it is more awareness than ability.

• Upvote 1