SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

12 hours ago, shep said:

Hold on...

Dixie State is now Utah Tech?? Did the team move from the south to Utah? 

No, it finally got named correctly. It got the original "Dixie" name because southerners moved to that region of Utah to grow cotton. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Those first 5 games are a gauntlet with the home tilt vs UNI likely being the key.  At this point I'm not sold that the offense will be any better then last season and I think the defense will not be as good early.  Need the Alerus rockin' for the Potato Bowl and get a win vs UNI.  With a win, just about anything is possible, a loss vs UNI and the trip to Flagstaff becomes more important and likely gets tougher mentally.  We know the games the following 2 weeks are huge @SIU and home vs MSU.

I love Teeder's confidence, I'm just not there yet.  Maybe I will be surprised in Lincoln.

OL is the only question mark on offense. Can the defense backups that are now starters elevate their game? I’m hoping so. All the players with pro ambitions need to have a good game at Nebraska 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

OL is the only question mark on offense. 

Respectfully disagree. RB by committee is always a scary proposition. I'd like one to step up and be pressure-situation reliable or be able to do 22 carries when they have the hot hand. 

51 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

I watched a few practices and Isaiah Smith and the new UNI RB Tyler Hoosman looked really good.  I think both of those guys will do very well!   I was also impressed with what Ziebarth did last year and in practice.  Also, Skokna will provide a great option for catches out of the backfield.

Isaiah has great burst and vision.  Tyler also looked very fast and powerful.  I think both of these guys can run inside and also get outside if needed. 

Speaking of this, curious who everyone’s breakout pick for the year is? Mine would be Isaiah Smith, although he somewhat broke out last year. 

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

OL is the only question mark on offense. Can the defense backups that are now starters elevate their game? I’m hoping so. All the players with pro ambitions need to have a good game at Nebraska 

At this point I would add QB to the offensive question marks.  Tommy is not going to get the offense to the level needed to win a NATTY or even compete for one.    IMO Danny has designed the offense to make Tommy better(great stats) than he actually is, but the motion and all the short passes at some point becomes limiting.  

I like what Holinka has done on D.  A big part of where we are after the first 5 will be how fast the backup LB's and DB's become what they need to be.  They will likely be on the field alot in those first 5 games.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tommy is not going to get the offense to the level needed to win a NATTY or even compete for one.

Tommy Schuster is a game manager. 

As were Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Hostetler. And those three have really nice rings. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Respectfully disagree. RB by committee is always a scary proposition. I'd like one to step up and be pressure-situation reliable or be able to do 22 carries when they have the hot hand. 

Respectfully disagree, I don't think RB by committee is like the if you have 2 QB's it means you don't have 1.  I would take a combo of Brady O. and Santiago over just Santiago.   Plus I think Smith showed when he had to be the main guy for one game he has the talent to be that guy.  However if you have other talented backs with slightly different skill sets, it's ok to give them touches as it's a long season and 20-25 rushes every game can be pretty wearing by the end of the year.  SU has been pretty successful with splitting carries to RB's and not having just 1 guy carry the ball 90% of the time.  I think Ziebarth looked pretty good...and would be capable of being an every down back if we were in the same situation as when Santiago was a freshman when we really didn't have anybody else......well other than Brady who was also a true freshman. 

It does give you a good feeling though when you have 1 RB run for 130 yards on the other team.....gives you a feeling like you just piss pounded them and feels more impressive than two guys running for 75 yards each. 

18 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Respectfully disagree, I don't think RB by committee is like the if you have 2 QB's it means you don't have 1. 

Tell me, no, show me we have a three-headed monster (Smith, Hoosman, Ziebarth) and I'll sleep easier. :) 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Two better choices/plays and that 6-8 is 8-6. :( 

Totally agree, but we aren't going to be playing for a natty winning 57% of our games either.  While sometimes more exciting to watch our offense has been the passing version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust over the last 2 years when it comes to actual points scored.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tell me, no, show me we have a three-headed monster (Smith, Hoosman, Ziebarth) and I'll sleep easier. :) 

Show me on OL like we had the spring season....and I'll show you a three-headed monster  :D

55 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Tommy takes 90% of the snaps this team should be better than 6-5. If Q takes 90% of snaps and this team has no chance getting to 6-5. 

#stophatingonTommy

Tell me where you think we will rank in scoring offense in the MVFC this season?  Do you think the D will give up the 4th fewest points again this season(behind NDSU,UNI and SDSU)?

33 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tell me where you think we will rank in scoring offense in the MVFC this season?  Do you think the D will give up the 4th fewest points again this season(behind NDSU,UNI and SDSU)?

Get it, but when we can't pick up one yard on the ground when it's second and 1, that's not Tommy's fault. That said hoping Tommy takes a step forward this year. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Get it, but when we can't pick up one yard on the ground when it's second and 1, that's not Tommy's fault. That said hoping Tommy takes a step forward this year. 

This.  With a good O-line, UND would have done much better in the Red Zone.  Tommy was able to get them there.   Given that UND had 7 turnovers and 3 missed field goals in the red zone, it's surprising that UND scored as much as they did.

image.png.07c34ee7f175351d8f72d415307cab82.png
Field goals stats are conf games only:

image.png.dd177056fa5601b64231634e90c70964.png

16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I totally agree, but Tommy is rarely in the game when it’s 3rd or 4th and short, which brings up an entirely different set of issues.

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I totally agree, but Tommy is rarely in the game when it’s 3rd or 4th and short, which brings up an entirely different set of issues.

In my example it should be first down, not 3rd and short.  I'm sure Cam Miller is a much better QB because he can hand it off on 2nd and short....and they pick up 4 yards instead of losing one. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Tommy takes 90% of the snaps this team should be better than 6-5. If Q takes 90% of snaps and this team has no chance getting to 6-5. 

#stophatingonTommy

The “hating” correlates with Tommy’s play. There won’t be hating if he improves. If he plays like he did in 2021, there will be plenty of hating to go around.