SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Stud may not have had the raw talent of Tommy but he was a tough SOB. Not that he didn't have tools but he definitely didn't have what Tommy does. If he had, and had not been stuck with Rudy, who know what he could have done. He sure made some great throws in that comeback win against N. AZ to win the Big Sky.

Someone everyone here knows said he could have made Studsrud an All-American in his system.  (not my words although I generally agree,  All-American might be a little lofty)

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Someone everyone here knows said he could have made Studsrud an All-American in his system.  (not my words although I generally agree,  All-American might be a little lofty)

Studsrud had every bit as much talent as Schuster, if not more. Ultimately results come down to system/coaching and players around the position, though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the coaching staff hasnt wanted Tommy to run?  It seems obvious that running has beem his third option - appears that may change this year. As far as working with two QBs, I'm willing to give it a shot, if that is what the coaching staff sees. The old sage about "if you have 2 QBs..." is from a bygone era. 

Everyone thinks a non-running QB running is a great idea until Braden Hanson is taking a nap on the field vrs Cal-Poly.

Tommy isn't a runner, QV2 not much of a runner either.  Tommy has a better feel for the game, timing, instincts.  QV2 probably can make some longer throws.  Tommy has the experience and if he's to take the next step it would be this season.  If he isn't better than last season maybe give QV2 a game.  I joke about Tommy Gun and QV2 but the guy that should play........is whomever gives us the best chance to win.  I suppose Danny's opinion is the one that matters.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Studsrud had every bit as much talent as Schuster, if not more. Ultimately results come down to system/coaching and players around the position, though. 

I think Schuster is a hell of a lot more accurate.  Didn't Studsrud randomly miss on short passes somewhat often?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think Schuster is a hell of a lot more accurate.  Didn't Studsrud randomly miss on short passes somewhat often?

I would say Schuster is a more accurate passer.  Studs did sometimes struggle with quick swing passes out in the flat....and wouldn't hit the guy in stride.  Tommy may not have the strongest arm, but on a few plays the last two years where the WR had the DB beat and had 5 yards of separation (flea flicker to Belquist, and Maag burning Missouri St. in playoffs)   Tommy hit them pretty much right in stride 30-40 yards downfield.  Which doesn't seem like that big of a deal when they are wide open, but have seem QB's miss guys before that are super wide open and you miss out on an easy TD.    Both of the instances I'm referring too went for long TD's.   When a WR is running a fly pattern and the DB is right on him, I recall Tommy overthrowing him a few times.....I think probably due to an abundance of caution and fearing a pick.  With a guy like Maag thouh, sometimes you just have to give him a chance to make a play even if it might get picked off.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u serious clark?  how many other games/qb's do you watch on tv where the pocket breaks down and he's off for 10, 20, long td bc they CAN and are willing to run?

if this is true where bubby and danny ae saying not to run we all sit here and wonder why bubba is a .500 winning percentage coach.

Some of it might have been related to lack of QB depth which seems not to be an issue now. 

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

Some of it might have been related to lack of QB depth which seems not to be an issue now. 

Much of the time Schuster looked like he saw the opening but had a virtual leash on him. Why? My supposition is injury prevention. Lack of position depth. Pick what you want to call it. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

It wasn't at all uncommon for Studs to go 10 of 17 for 170 yards.  Some of that can be put on rudy, but not all of it.  Schuster has stretches where he completes 8 or 9 out of 10 passes.  You never saw that with studs.

15 hours ago, nodak651 said:

9 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

It wasn't at all uncommon for Studs to go 10 of 17 for 170 yards.  Some of that can be put on rudy, but not all of it.  Schuster has stretches where he completes 8 or 9 out of 10 passes.  You never saw that with studs.

Sort of a pointless argument, but Studsrud still completed around 60% of his passes. Also, Studsrud was a far better athlete and was a good runner. With that said, he definitely missed some throws and was far from perfect. 

I think it is a very big deal that Studsrud was only coached by the incompetent Rudolph, who I think was way behind the times of coaching college QBs and offenses. Danny Freund would have made Studsrud a much, much better player. The offense, reads, and throws that Rudolph had Studsrud make were archaic and embarrassing compared to what other offenses around college football were doing from ‘14-‘17.  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sort of a pointless argument, but Studsrud still completed around 60% of his passes. Also, Studsrud was a far better athlete and was a good runner. With that said, he definitely missed some throws and was far from perfect. 

I think it is a very big deal that Studsrud was only coached by the incompetent Rudolph, who I think was way behind the times of coaching college QBs and offenses. Danny Freund would have made Studsrud a much, much better player. The offense, reads, and throws that Rudolph had Studsrud make were archaic and embarrassing compared to what other offenses around college football were doing from ‘14-‘17.  

Recruiting behind KS was a huge issue. He was handcuffed and restrained from bein able to use his athleticism because if he went down, there wasn't a back-up plan.
There's a reason a transfer was brought in to replace him after he graduated.

TS is a more accurate passer and more careful with the ball than KS was. But let's also remember TS is finally an upper-classman. Let's see what he can do now that he has a few years under his belt.

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Recruiting behind KS was a huge issue. He was handcuffed and restrained from bein able to use his athleticism because if he went down, there wasn't a back-up plan.
There's a reason a transfer was brought in to replace him after he graduated.

TS is a more accurate passer and more careful with the ball than KS was. But let's also remember TS is finally an upper-classman. Let's see what he can do now that he has a few years under his belt.

This whole conspiracy of “QBs don’t run because they don’t have a backup” is hilarious. I can’t believe it has caught any steam around here. It doesn’t really exist- the players are who they are in live action. Perhaps the called (designed) QB runs aren’t called, but a QB who runs will still run if given the chance. I’ll leave it at that. 

With that said, I completely agree the recruiting behind Studsrud was atrocious

• Upvote 1

Area of concern for me on offense: middle of the OL

Areas of concern for me on defense: secondary

Area of strength on offense: WRs/TE

Area of strength on defense: Front 7

Special Teams = Pick 'em -- kicking will be better but kick and punt coverage/blocking has got to be dominant. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Area of concern for me on offense: middle of the OL

Areas of concern for me on defense: secondary

Area of strength on offense: WRs/TE

Area of strength on defense: Front 7

Special Teams = Pick 'em -- kicking will be better but kick and punt coverage/blocking has got to be dominant.  He and Siegel are gonna bring in scouts.

The Buckner transfer is gonna be HUUUGE for the secondary.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Those first 5 games are a gauntlet with the home tilt vs UNI likely being the key.  At this point I'm not sold that the offense will be any better then last season and I think the defense will not be as good early.  Need the Alerus rockin' for the Potato Bowl and get a win vs UNI.  With a win, just about anything is possible, a loss vs UNI and the trip to Flagstaff becomes more important and likely gets tougher mentally.  We know the games the following 2 weeks are huge @SIU and home vs MSU.

I love Teeder's confidence, I'm just not there yet.  Maybe I will be surprised in Lincoln.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Those first 5 games are a gauntlet with the home tilt vs UNI likely being the key.  At this point I'm not sold that the offense will be any better then last season and I think the defense will not be as good early.  Need the Alerus rockin' for the Potato Bowl and get a win vs UNI.  With a win, just about anything is possible, a loss vs UNI and the trip to Flagstaff becomes more important and likely gets tougher mentally.  We know the games the following 2 weeks are huge @SIU and home vs MSU.

I love Teeder's confidence, I'm just not there yet.  Maybe I will be surprised in Lincoln.

For me it’s simple: based on the resources UND has (budget, facilities, etc), and also the narrative that they are committed to being a top FCS school like NDSU and SDSU, UND should be looking at going 8-3 with this schedule, with likely losses @Nebraska and @NDSU, and perhaps a random thrown-in loss (SDSU)? The schools that otherwise are on the schedule should be wins based on their resources. 

The hesitancy on predicting that record for most may not seem obvious, but it should be: under the current leadership structure for UND football, amateur decisions are made too frequently to be a champion. The program went 5-6 in 2021 and 3-8 in 2017. Both seasons hurt progress immensely.This program can’t get out of its own way. Fortunately, the guy who makes the football decisions is also a very nice guy so he’s bought himself a decade plus despite being a mediocre football coach. Perhaps a unpopular take, but the truth. UND football won’t be a FCS championship contender until new leadership comes around. Maybe that will be a batch of assistant coaches who “get it” and not necessarily a complete overhaul, but who knows? After awhile, you are what you are. 

As has been discussed ad nauseam, at this juncture all teams are undefeated! So as for Teeder, it’s fine to have the “homer” juices flowing and plan for a great season! But after a few weeks of actual football, reality will hit. 

• Upvote 1