SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Just now, UND08 said:

It's a gimmick...our "smoke and mirrors" section of the playbook has definitely beefed up over the last couple of years.  Gimmicks can work great...until they don't...

You know what would make this conversation largely irrelevant??  If we could line up in short yardage situations and consistently pick up the needed yardage by winning up front...but I'm just a no-nothing fan in the stands...

exactly.....100% 

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

exactly.....100% 

Don't get me wrong...I don't mind having a package for Quincy.  He brings a unique skillset, and if you have talent then the team needs to find a place to utilize it.  But Tommy Schuster is not the first undersized QB to play the game.  We've got a transfer RB who I've heard can pick up some tough yards when need be...it sounds like he should have a role here!

I think the biggest thing with Tommy/Quincy is finding the balance between keeping Tommy in a rhythm and allowing Quincy to be a complete threat within his package (ie letting him throw), while not outsmarting ourselves from a coaching standpoint.  Sometimes on 3rd and 1 it's best to just line up, knock the snot out of your opponent, take your 3 yards and get ready for the next set of downs.  Hell that's what I prefer pretty much all the time, but again I'm just a no-nothing fan in the stands...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Don't get me wrong...I don't mind having a package for Quincy.  He brings a unique skillset, and if you have talent then the team needs to find a place to utilize it.  But Tommy Schuster is not the first undersized QB to play the game.  We've got a transfer RB who I've heard can pick up some tough yards when need be...it sounds like he should have a role here!

I think the biggest thing with Tommy/Quincy is finding the balance between keeping Tommy in a rhythm and allowing Quincy to be a complete threat within his package (ie letting him throw), while not outsmarting ourselves from a coaching standpoint.  Sometimes on 3rd and 1 it's best to just line up, knock the snot out of your opponent, take your 3 yards and get ready for the next set of downs.  Hell that's what I prefer pretty much all the time, but again I'm just a no-nothing fan in the stands...

I think many of us would agree with most all of this.  I think we'd all love to be able to ram it down their throats with a regular package with Tommy in.  Also I think many of us want to see Quincy run a few plays of the regular offense, it's a bit of a Catch 22.   I think Danny is a good offensive coordinator though, and he will make good decisions, although of course they won't all be right.  I had pretty low confidence last year that we would pick up a 3rd and 1 by ramming the ball, and I think for that reason Danny used some other types of plays particularly when we got in the Red Zone. Hopefully the OL is a little better this year so we can do just that......ram the ball up the gut and pick it up.

If he puts in more passing plays for Quincy this year, he will throw a pick at some point....it's bound to happen.  So go on the record now....saying whether or not you want to see Quincy get a chance to throw the ball more so you can't say wtf when he does throw a pick :p

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think many of us would agree with most all of this.  I think we'd all love to be able to ram it down their throats with a regular package with Tommy in.  Also I think many of us want to see Quincy run a few plays of the regular offense, it's a bit of a Catch 22.   I think Danny is a good offensive coordinator though, and he will make good decisions, although of course they won't all be right.  I had pretty low confidence last year that we would pick up a 3rd and 1 by ramming the ball, and I think for that reason Danny used some other types of plays particularly when we got in the Red Zone. Hopefully the OL is a little better this year so we can do just that......ram the ball up the gut and pick it up.

If he puts in more passing plays for Quincy this year, he will throw a pick at some point....it's bound to happen.  So go on the record now....saying whether or not you want to see Quincy get a chance to throw the ball more so you can't say wtf when he does throw a pick :p

I can live with poor execution so long as it's not reminiscent of a certain 4th and 1 deep in our own territory vs a school specializing in agricultural trades..:whistling:

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Belquist sure doesn’t look like the skinny freshman he once was. Looks ripped! Would not be surprised if he is the best WR in the MVFC this year! He can only get batter from the last great couple years.

hope that extra weight doesn't slow him down tho....skinny is ok...just look at randy moss!!!!

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Lets move on to something UND related.

Can UND actually make this 2 QB system work?

Until QV2 moves a pile or proves to be dynamic we have a 1 QB system.  If it's something other than 90/10 for a healthy Tommy Gun I'll be surprised.

• Upvote 2

Just now, gundy1124 said:

Until QV2 moves a pile or proves to be dynamic we have a 1 QB system.  If it's something other than 90/10 for a healthy Tommy Gun I'll be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I want TOmmy to take the majority of the snaps.  But we play our first 3 games and Quicy only takes 10% of the snaps, we don't have a 2 QB system.  We have a QB that just goes in there to pick up the 3rd and inches.  Which is what we had last year.  I am hoping and thinking Danny is planning on using him a bit more.  I don't want 50/50.  I would be ok with 80/20 or at the most 75/25.  All depends on how effective Quincey is.

4 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Have we seen Quincey pass yet? He hasn’t had the opportunity much. 

whatever minuses q has with his arm i think might be made up with his "willingness" to run unlike tommy who just doesn't seem to want to run for some reason