SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

18 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

who are the un-biased posters? Does that mean they aren’t partial to any team?  what the hell fun is that?  F that—- i am as biased a Hawks fan as you can find and effin proud of it! Go Fighting Hawks!

… folks not located in Grand Forks or North Dakota, for a start; such as those voting in the mentioned preseason coaches poll. We get you have pride, like everyone else on this site that doesn’t have NDSU or bison in their username, but that doesn’t mean we can just speak things into existence. Even if we all want fun... 

At some point, the hard work (or lack thereof) means something. 5-6 is what that work produced in 2021. What will it produce in 2022? I want it to produce a national championship, but I ain’t going to wager my house or personal belongings on that, that’s for damn sure. 

Now, I hate NDSU, but I might consider such a wager on them just based purely on their track record. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Agreed. But a i don’t think “biased” is the word you’re  looking for, then. we should all be biased as hell. 

Perhaps. I want UND to succeed as much as anyone on here. But, when you come to this site, you're going to see views that are based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions -- biased. It is subjective. Every once and awhile, though, it is nice to balance that with views that are not influenced by personal feelings or opinions and thus are considered as close to fact as possible. Some objectivity should be welcomed. 

With all that said, I agree sports are fun because there are only so many facts that can be repeated. Ultimately, it comes down to the competition (games) and what happens. That is entertaining and should provide hope for UND football fans, because the polls sure aren't indicating UND fans will be happy come the end of 2022. Good thing polls don't represent fact. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UND 2-5 in one score games with those losses being to the #1, #5, #14, #17 and #20 teams. They were tied or in the lead in the 4th quarter in 3 of those games and .
The only other loss was to an 11-3 MWC team where things just unraveled after getting out to a hot start.

I don't think anyone doubts that they need to show they can win close games, but its not like they were embarrassed off the field all season. 
And I agree that your record is what ultimately matters, but Sagarin had UND at 15 and Massey at 14 to end the season. Now just need to get the actual W's to back it up because clearly UND isn't getting the UNI treatment in the polls.

Totally agree with this.  I do definitely understand why people outside of UND fans does not have us in the top 25, but I think we are better than some of the teams listed for some of the reasons you said.  And those close losses two involve late fumbles, another involves missing 2 FG's in the last 2 1/2 minutes from our backup kicker.  But we still have to put it together and have it translate into winning some of those games this year and you are what you're record is.  But I think we are closer to being really good than some of those other teams ranked ahead of us, but we will see.  I'm always excited every year, but I'd say I'm probably more excited this fall than last fall. We will have a pretty good idea of where we are as a team by Week 2 this year, the UNI is almost must win game (also Missouri State).  For many Weah was the face of our team last year and outsiders see him being gone as a setback for us, but in this case it is likely addition from subtraction as there hopefully won't be as many off the field issues, plus I think we have the guys to step up.  I'm excited about our schedule this year and particularly those first 5 games. 

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND is the anti-UNI in the polls. 

This! Doesn't help when the FCS podcast is filled with UND haters. I know Herder makes a joke and money off of the issue that every team thinks he hates them, but look no further than their mention of UND on their FCS preview podcast - UND was ranked in their top 40 and got 5 seconds of mention and it was all insults. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

This! Doesn't help when the FCS podcast is filled with UND haters. I know Herder makes a joke and money off of the issue that every team thinks he hates them, but look no further than their mention of UND on their FCS preview podcast - UND was ranked in their top 40 and got 5 seconds of mention and it was all insults. 

Herder is an ndsu grad, what would you expect 

10 hours ago, shep said:

As for bias, there are many who want Bubba gone and their bias is shown almost daily.

Others believe the recruiting has gotten much better and things are getting better.

There's no mystery as to who fits in each category.

“Bubba gone” - sounds more personal than it should be.

UND football has a tendency to be run like a family bakery and not a food manufacturing corporation. All kinds of variability in what folks preferences are there, but ultimately only one will be sustainable and one won’t be, particularly in this era of college football. 

Do you want UND football successful and sustainable or not? 

For the record, I don’t want anyone “gone” at this juncture. There’s a football season just a few weeks away. Go Hawks!

• Upvote 2

Pre-season polls at the FCS level are really easy to read. How'd the team end up last year. UNI made the playoffs barely and are ranked accordingly. I don't like reading about anti-UND bias. They finished 5-6, why would they be ranked in the Top 25 when it's based on how you finished the year prior? UND is a Top 25 level talent this year, that I have no doubt. They have to start stringing together winning seasons and the "anti-UND" bias will suddenly disappear. 

I just as much as anybody wants to see UND start to make the local / national scene look bad with their predictions, but close isn't good enough in Football. New year and I like this team. The results need to start following the talent level.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

“Bubba gone” - sounds more personal than it should be.

UND football has a tendency to be run like a family bakery and not a food manufacturing corporation. All kinds of variability in what folks preferences are there, but ultimately only one will be sustainable and one won’t be, particularly in this era of college football. 

Do you want UND football successful and sustainable or not? 

For the record, I don’t want anyone “gone” at this juncture. There’s a football season just a few weeks away. Go Hawks!

But it is personal as many want him gone.

I think to ask the question- Do you want UND successful and sustainable or not is not even a worthy question as every fan here wants that.

You, and others, have determined that it can’t be successful and sustainable with Bubba. You’re entitled to that opinion just as many of us believe it’s possible with him are entitled to our opinion.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, shep said:

But it is personal as many want him gone.

I think to ask the question- Do you want UND successful and sustainable or not is not even a worthy question as every fan here wants that.

You, and others, have determined that it can’t be successful and sustainable with Bubba. You’re entitled to that opinion just as many of us believe it’s possible with him are entitled to our opinion.

Opinions are like … ; everyone has one. 

Here’s some facts; Bubba is 47-40 (54% winning percentage) in 8 seasons as UND head coach. 2022 will be a big year for him and UND football - let’s see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Opinions are like …

Here’s some facts; Bubba is 47-40 (54% winning percentage) in 7 seasons as UND head coach. 2022 will be a big year for him and UND football - let’s see what happens. 

Good point.  Isn't that also right around his lifetime winning percentage in the college ranks?

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone in the know have insider info on the Walthalls? Rumor in the F-M area is both are looking to transfer.

If they’re not looking for a great education; they probably should. No, I have no idea about their plans. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Opinions are like …

Here’s some facts; Bubba is 47-40 (54% winning percentage) in 7 seasons as UND head coach. 2022 will be a big year for him and UND football - let’s see what happens. 

The biggest thing and I mean BIGGEST thing that needs to change playing better on the road.  Yes Bubba is 47-40 at UND as a head coach.  But his road record in that span is 15-30.  In the 8 seasons he has been head coach, 5 of those seasons they only had 1 home win. (*Yes,  I realize there was techinically only 3 road games in 2020/Spring season, but you get my point).  

If this team wants to achieve their goals of winning a conference title, making the playoffs, or winning a national championship; they need to not only find a way to play better on the road but win road games.  It's that simple/.

• Upvote 4