SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What is happening here! This team has to know how close they were to a great season, coming off of a great performance last spring. Have a lot of these guys just lost faith in Bubba?

I'm really afraid this fall was Bubba's window at UND and its now closed.  For all our sakes, I hope I am wrong, but the 4th down vs NDSU was likely the symbolic pinnacle of the Bubba era at UND.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Damn, it's like I don't even want to click into this thread anymore.....it's like a bad accident though..... I can't help looking.   And yes sure as hell hope Weah transfers to somewhere that we never see him against us.  Well, or we do play him and shut him down and whatever team he is with and get some pleasure from that.   Thank goodness Ziebarth was looking really good.  

#portalsucks

Transfers like Weah make even less sense to me than Nelson. At least Nelson was from the west coast and may want to play closer to home (still strange to me but whatever). Where does Otis think he is going to go? FBS? Otherwise why go elsewhere? I'm just curious what the thought process is here, though it doesn't sound like there is always a great deal of though with this one.

There were a lot of times that we couldn't move the football even with Weah.  I think he made some tough yards when we needed it, but now more than ever, we need to focus on getting our offensive line where they can have a consistent push.  I think some of the backs we have now can get the job done with just a little more gap or push. 

My favorite portal one so far: Alec Ogden.  Kid is from Wisconsin, started at QB for Bemidji State as a Freshman. Transferred to Middle Tennessee State saw zero snaps in 2021 (despite MTSU losing 3 QBs on the season)and is now entering the portal for his senior year. Grass is not always greener on the other side

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is the future, A mid tier team in a tier2 league isnt a place to be, its a place to be from, or a stop along the way.

It's the reality now.

At this point, 1.) scratch traditional recruiting and development 2). go to Alumni and businesses for "likeness' funds 3). start bidding on players in the portal 4.) do this annually until things change 5). only commit to scholarships and "likeness" funds 1 year at a time

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

There were a lot of times that we couldn't move the football even with Weah.  I think he made some tough yards when we needed it, but now more than ever, we need to focus on getting our offensive line where they can have a consistent push.  I think some of the backs we have now can get the job done with just a little more gap or push. 

We have a nice stable of running backs in place. Really hope that Otis gets his life straightened out and isn't listening to empty promises. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree with this.  In the unlikely event we get 2-3 difference makers on the OL from the portal, that could end up netting us on the positive side of the in/outs.  As much as I like, wait liked, Weah I'd take a much better OL next year without Weah than marginally better OL with Weah.  Weah was a talent and fun to watch, but we have some other good backs.....as of now anyway. 

• Upvote 1