SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have high expectations and I like what I see. 

Ziebarth and Smith getting more snaps is not a bad thing at all. 

Otis leaving isn’t a good thing for UND anyway you spin it.

Hyping up Ziebarth and Smith is a nice distraction though. 

Also, you of all people I would expect to not care about who the RB is but rather just focus on OL, which I think is important.

OL needs to improve if Ziebarth and Smith will do anything …

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agree with this. He's a proven commodity, the other two still have a long way to go before they are at that point. Despite some negative, I doubt the staff is looking at it as net positive no matter how you spin it. And who knows if the door is actually closed. No public comments from him unlike many others in the portal. 

That being said, whatever happens, happens and you move on with those that want to be here. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also, you of all people I would expect to not care about who the RB is but rather just focus on OL, which I think is important.

Hey, if I say "Tell me about your offensive line and I'll tell you about your season" one more time @geaux_sioux's head will explode. :D 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Many of you may know, I put far too much stock in what happens on Twitter. Having said that, nearly all of Otis’s interactions lately have been Gophers related so I’m wondering if there’s something there. 

Good luck to him, he will be buried on that depth chart. Then again, behind a better O Line maybe he would look even better.

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

Don't schools like Minnesota have higher academic standards? Seem to have read they have to pass on kids who don't have the grades ( unless you are in SEC).

Maybe he's looking more MAC or MW? Or maybe his academics are good enough to get him in for football, not that I would expect him to sustain it.

That's not to say I don't hope for the best for the kid. Life is way bigger than football. But a kid that can't recognize a golden opportunity was given to him, and that he should hold on to that and maybe even show some appreciation, has way bigger issues in his life than where he plays football. If you ask me, this kid can't see the forest through he trees.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

OL needs to improve if Ziebarth and Smith will do anything …

It’s a good thing that Weah is leaving if he is truly a distraction. If he didn’t want to play by the rules he won’t be missed. He has no reason to be unhappy with UND. His ego is blinding him right now.

Smith showed what he can do behind this year’s “struggling” OL. Honestly we  have a stacked backfield with plenty of depth

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

It’s a good thing that Weah is leaving if he is truly a distraction. If he didn’t want to play by the rules he won’t be missed. He has no reason to be unhappy with UND. His ego is blinding him right now.

Smith showed what he can do behind this year’s “struggling” OL. Honestly we  have a stacked backfield with plenty of depth

Smith needs to add 15 lbs for next year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Agreed, I'm more disappointed about losing a good player than I am concerned for our backfield. Smith showed tremendous upside when Otis was out, hopefully he realizes the opportunity and takes more advantage of it than Otis. I liked Ziebarth, but didn't see a large enough sample size. Mitchell is all potential at this point, but we haven't really seen anything other than his 1 TD where he showed off his speed; still great potential. Skokna is a great weapon as well, but isn't the same type of player as Otis, or even Smith.

I wouldn't say I'm concerned, but I'm somewhat indifferent until I see more out of a few of these guys. I know nothing about Anthony Moe-Tucker except that he is a big kid, but I would really like to see us land the Emmet Johnson.

14 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

How would you know that. I understood from player and family the players like Bubba. They see what we don’t see. 

It’s not about liking Bubba, he is a tough guy not to like.  He has done a great job assembling the Jimmy’s and joes to win it all.  There are some holes on this falls team but overall we stacked up pretty well with the best in FCS from a personnel standpoint.

37 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

How would you know that. I understood from player and family the players like Bubba. They see what we don’t see. 

I’m sure many (most) do like Bubba, but these student-athletes are allowed to have an opinion of their own, and after a losing season, some most certainly have negative opinions.

We tend to focus on what pulls these kids into the transfer portal, but are we really that confident there also aren’t push factors? 

10 hours ago, Hambone said:

Urweiler is going to NIU.  As expected.

Isn't it possible that not all of the players entering the portal are a surprise to the coaches? If they have a good relationship it could go both ways. The player shares they want to move for various reasons or the coach shares the realities of team depth and  playing time. This situation speaks to that.