SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2021: It giveth, it taketh away.

The Sicatoka

Question, after the season do the coaches meet with each player and talk about where they are at, their role in the program going forward etc. etc.?  Or is it just a big team meeting type of thing.  Just wonder if some of these transfers could be mitigated with some discussion before they decide to transfer.  

Also, if a players puts his name in the portal do the coaches reach out to them and say......hey if you don't find what you are looking for there is still room for you here.  Or once they put their name in the portal is it just kind of like.....we are done with you since you have the mindset to leave. 

I have to think Weah's brother will hit the portal as well. I actually like some of our younger running backs. I thought Isaiah Smith looked good, Skodna(sp) and Ziebarth. I say if you don't want to be here, good luck to you and next man up.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

For me, there's two pretty big unknowns. @Sioux94 already asked the question, looking at quality and number of transfers for UND, how is that compared to like schools. Other being, will there be others? Before overreacting, you have to really dissect each portal move. Positional depth, other positional departures (graduation / transfers). There's a finite amount of space on a roster and time a player can play. There's a lot of nuance to this and positional groups vary, but getting the right amount of turnover is key. Balance. 

Do others have that philosophy? Where, you (# varies) by positional group, but you'd rather lose that perfect #, then return everyone? The thought being, balance, you have room to bring in another X amount for the freshman class, the loss of those guys the following year is negated by returning players having more experience, stronger, faster, ect.

So far, I could point to TE / DL / RB transfers with the above philosophy and why those three won't sink those positional groups. 

What can you say, it's a run away train of bad news the last few weeks. I'm standing by the above philosophy. We'll see if the hits keep coming or if things start turning around.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I would expected to see Vaughn hit the portal before Weah. The part the makes me nervous is how many more will we lose, and how many will be key contributors ... and once again, where do these guys think they are going to go?

Yikes, I hope Vaughn doesn't hit the portal. He is a little rough around the edges but I feel he will become a decent player.

15 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Question, after the season do the coaches meet with each player and talk about where they are at, their role in the program going forward etc. etc.?  Or is it just a big team meeting type of thing.  Just wonder if some of these transfers could be mitigated with some discussion before they decide to transfer.  

Also, if a players puts his name in the portal do the coaches reach out to them and say......hey if you don't find what you are looking for there is still room for you here.  Or once they put their name in the portal is it just kind of like.....we are done with you since you have the mindset to leave. 

In the old days there were 1 on 1 meetings with every player and the head coach after the season.

Schools must be a lot less stringent these days when it comes to transferring credits from one school to another. I remember back when I was in school(late 80's) I had friends switch schools and they would lose credits going from one school to another either because the class didn't fit the cirriculum at the school you were transferring and many times if you didn't have an A or a B the class would alos not transfer to new school.

The more the Otis news sinks in, the more and more I'm ok with it. Dixon most likely being collateral damage from it. Otis had to have been a gigantic distraction this past year. That's not taking a giant leap assuming that, benched for two games. Nobody can knock his talent, but the coaching staff just lost a huge headache. Love the RB depth. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The more the Otis news sinks in, the more and more I'm ok with it. Dixon most likely being collateral damage from it. Otis had to have been a gigantic distraction this past year. That's not taking a giant leap assuming that, benched for two games. Nobody can knock his talent, but the coaching staff just lost a huge headache. Love the RB depth. 

I'm guessing part of it is him being upset cuz he wasn't allowed to travel and play after being sick all week and not able to practice.  

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Let’s not just assume Dixon is out. 

Agreed, I think it depends what Otis is lookin at. If he thinks he is going to do a Hergel and go FBS, I think Dixon stays, if he think he is going to transfer to another top FCS program, then I could see Dixon potentially following. Only time will tell, but I hope he is ready to go when he gets here.