SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I am sure they don't want to waste small donations on Phase 2 when it will be paid for in a few big ones.  The smaller donations go elsewhere I would imagine.  

Probably right.  I still think more publicity could lead to larger donations from people or local businesses that may not be on their radar, however.  Even if they do get shovels in the ground this spring, I don't think that suggests this strategy was successful if you consider how long they have been trying to put this together, and if you look at the way other schools approached and succeeded in fundraising for projects of a similar size.  For example, Montana State and SDSU have been much more public in their fundraising efforts.

Props to UND for working to finally get this stuff built though.  While a disagree with their strategy, I appreciate their intent.

UND has implied for a couple years now that they are "close", but it appears they have yet to line up the necessary funding.  I think this likely causes potential donors to think that their donations are not needed, and as a result, such money doesn't end up going to UND at all.

For example, I know that I would donate extra for this specific project, but if they don't want my "meaningless" donation, that money sure as heck isn't instead going to UND's general athletics fund.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Probably right.  I still think more publicity could lead to larger donations from people or local businesses that may not be on their radar, however.  Even if they do get shovels in the ground this spring, I don't think that suggests this strategy was successful if you consider how long they have been trying to put this together, and if you look at the way other schools approached and succeeded in fundraising for projects of a similar size.  For example, Montana State and SDSU have been much more public in their fundraising efforts.

Props to UND for working to finally get this stuff built though.  While a disagree with their strategy, I appreciate their intent.

UND has implied for a couple years now that they are "close", but it appears they have yet to line up the necessary funding.  I think this likely causes potential donors to think that their donations are not needed, and as a result, such money doesn't end up going to UND at all.

For example, I know that I would donate extra for this specific project, but if they don't want my "meaningless" donation, that money sure as heck isn't instead going to UND's general athletics fund.

Straight up everyone’s donations are needed. It’s all hands on deck to get Phase II in the ground.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Straight up everyone’s donations are needed. It’s all hands on deck to get Phase II in the ground.

Yeah, but the UND Champions Club and Alumni Foundation aren’t sending that message. Thus, the point: the marketing and fundraising efforts for UND football are subpar. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Our immediate priorities are finish Phase 2, raise coaches salaries, and deal with the challenges of the transfer portal and NIL.

Fair immediate concerns, but there’s so much more (agree with your development concerns, as per post below). Thing is, it isn’t all tangible or material, but rather some priorities should be in the details. EXAMPLE: The quality of marketing and fundraising. The quality of the game-day experience, video productions, etc. That requires a complete buy-in by UND athletics as a whole. 

AND… development, development, development. Requires great teaching.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree, I m sure Danny called the play.  I’m sure Bubba saw it run in pravtice, I’m sure they speak on Sunday game-planning, during the week and pre game.  The debacle vs NDSU was a “trick play” too.  Burned badly on both.  Neither involved sound situational football which reinforces my larger point.

We couldn’t run the ball hardly for any short yardage play. What play would you have called genius????

9 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How does that contradict what I have said?  Danny called the play, Danny works for Bubba. Why do so many of you make excuses for mediocrity over and over again?  Over time there is NO LUCK involved in winning and losing football games.  The 4th down vs NDSU is probably the worst situational football move I can remember.  If anyone can think of a worse situational move by a college or NFL football coach, let me know.

I haven't gone back and re-read it all....but I think the whole issue is that whole part of the discussion stemmed from someone basically saying....."Bubba directly screwed the pooch in the Missouri State game at the end".   Otis fumbled the ball on his own, Danny called the play and it didn't work.....so some people were just questioning.....how is that Bubba directly screwing that game up.  In the end wins and losses are on the coach....yes, but to say Otis's fumble and that 4th down play call....somehow show Bubba is a bad coach based on that....just seems like a stretch to pile on Bubba.  And on that 4th down play call....we likely wouldn't have picked it up if we ran it up the gut.  

I am with you on the 4th down call against NDSU, and probably most of us are as to how bad it was....but that wasn't what we were talking about when the Missouri St. meltdown came up.   

In my mind the toughest issue facing UND's football future is that we are in a conference, by choice, that will perennially give us a top 10 SOS and every year we will be playing SDSU and NDSU (as will others in our conference). But you could take the top 20 schools in the FCS and almost every one of them would go 0-2 against that gauntlet. A strong schedule should help recruiting hopefully, because student athletes want a challenge. We finished #3 in the toughest conference in the FCS in four years (with what some would say are DII recruits). Not saying anyone should be satisfied with that - few are, but it's also not like we aren't showing progress. 

Having attended more games than the average fan over the years, it's quite obvious we need to develop our OL and DL. Skill positions and play calling are not the issue. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

In my mind the toughest issue facing UND's football future is that we are in a conference, by choice, that will perennially give us a top 10 SOS and every year we will be playing SDSU and NDSU (as will others in our conference). But you could take the top 20 schools in the FCS and almost every one of them would go 0-2 against that gauntlet. A strong schedule should help recruiting hopefully, because student athletes want a challenge. We finished #3 in the toughest conference in the FCS in four years (with what some would say are DII recruits). Not saying anyone should be satisfied with that - few are, but it's also not like we aren't showing progress. 

Having attended more games than the average fan over the years, it's quite obvious we need to develop our OL and DL. Skill positions and play calling are not the issue. 

I'd add a super-fast WR or 2

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

UND could better support the football program in ways that wouldn't cost tons of money, such as better scheduling for destination hockey games - I beleive 3 of the last 4 were held the same weekend as UND home FB games?  That literally costs us ticket revenue.  

I would like to see a Hockey/Football Destination weekend.  Maybe play Maine both in Football in the afternoon and in Hockey in the evening.  I understand by the time hockey gets going Football is in Conference play and there would be other issues, but I can dream.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I would like to see a Hockey/Football Destination weekend.  Maybe play Maine both in Football in the afternoon and in Hockey in the evening.  I understand by the time hockey gets going Football is in Conference play and there would be other issues, but I can dream.

Why not WMU or Miami? 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Write that check big shooter.  Then it will change immediately.

I wrote the checks...as a consumer I've decided it's no longer worth it.  I can follow the team with a similar fan experience for a lot less $$$.

Call me a bandwagon fan...call me whatever you want...but I'm not Elon Musk, and at some point potential needs to be realized to make my investment worth it.  Also beyond that, UND doesn't really do a dang thing to engage donors that live more than 100 miles from the RRV.  It is what it is on that front but my local university's foundation department has taken the time to build a relationship with me, and they get my money now.  I will say I like the portal additions we have today...the portal seems to have been a net "W" for us this year.  Hopefully we can keep adapting.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

FB and hockey deal with Army could be fun. 

38 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

FB and hockey deal with Army could be fun. 

Air Force!  Our pres has a history there, tons of Alumni in Colorado, plus we're an aviation school.  There a reason you mention Army, specifically that I'm not thinking of?  That said, their stadium is defiantly a bucket list item...  

If not football, the same concept could potentially be used for basketball as well.  Could even share a charter.  WMU struggles to get D1 home basketball games just like us - they had 4 non D1 home games this year so such a setup could be mutually beneficial.  Football would obviously be preferable. 

Biggest problem with Air Force and Army, and potentially others, would be arena size.  If it were a non NCHC team, maybe a larger venue could be used and the hockey game would be treated as a Neutral Site game.  If Air Force, for example, CC's old arena could be used instead of their home rink.  Split ticket sales 50/50 for hockey with normal FBS football payout on top of that.  Both schools could come out ahead.  Hypothetically.

With football be scheduled so many years in advance, something like this would be really tough to pull off though.  Which is why I mentioned basketball.  Could be a home and home thing and each team could use their home hockey arena.

19 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

This doesn't really fit here but the implications sure do.  Mods move this or start a new thread.

NIL. Player pays off his older sisters student loans.

Cool moment for him and his family....but this shows how corrupt the NIL era is already.

I believe athletes should be able to benefit off the use of their name and image vs. getting a bag of cash from a booster but am wondering how this is being monitored or regulated.

As far as I can tell, Anthony Leal has no real social media presence and is the 11th or 12th man for Indiana so I am guessing he is getting paid a few hundred thousand for just being on their roster.

25 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Cool moment for him and his family....but this shows how corrupt the NIL era is already.

I believe athletes should be able to benefit off the use of their name and image vs. getting a bag of cash from a booster but am wondering how this is being monitored or regulated.

As far as I can tell, Anthony Leal has no real social media presence and is the 11th or 12th man for Indiana so I am guessing he is getting paid a few hundred thousand for just being on their roster.

I agree it probably doesn't end well.  Door is wide open for corruption.  But he did a great deed by payoff the student loans.