SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

2 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Our men's hockey team who lifts weights in a brand new weight room? 

if weight rooms dictate results on the field.......1 title in 20 some years with the premier college hockey weight room in the country tells you it's not the size or location of the weight it's the .......you know the rest.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if weight rooms dictate results on the field.......1 title in 20 some years with the premier college hockey weight room in the country tells you it's not the size or location of the weight it's the .......you know the rest.

I agree that their are other factors.  For our football team it would be special teams coaching in certain areas, decisions made by the head coach, lack of recruiting on defense.  These last couple years I have had almost no questions on our offense. 

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

If the hockey team lifted like the FB team would it hurt their performance or would they not be so fragile? Honest question. The hockey team having the best weight room is an oxymoron for what they have put on the ice lately and for all the plastic plates they lift……

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

luke's qb against FBS Nevada ...and they won. got him from cali to ........moscow, idaho somehow.

UID - Passing
Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD INT Long Sack
Totals 15 21 313 2 0 75 3
McCoy,Gevani 15 21 313 2 0 75 3

How were his Cal game numbers? UND hasn’t shown the need for a transfer QB. Until our QB room hits the field we don’t need a transfer.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How were his Cal game numbers? UND hasn’t shown the need for a transfer QB. Until our QB room hits the field we don’t need a transfer.

who said he's a transfer? luke got him out of HS iirc....if tommy two gloves puts up those numbers last year against nebraska would have a big10 victory to recruit off....but

UND - Passing
Schuster,Tommy 24 37 131 1 0 15 2

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I didn't want to derail the Boise St. thread so I brought this topic over here.  Under the current assumption that Danny Freund will be the next HC, what changes do you think he will implement in that role?  Any staff changes?  Who would he elevate to OC?  Just wondering what people think the future coaching staff looks like.  

Need to try new leadership at this point. It’s absolutely necessary- UND has plateaued, can’t win big games. Maybe SDSU on 9/30/23 will completely change my mind on this, we’ll see.

Danny Freund - if elevated -  would need to hire a new OC, that could be from current staff (Pawlak?) or someone outside (Jake Landry?). With that said, it’s never a bad idea to just see who is interested in the position (head coach or OC) outside of UND currently; never know, could get a Kalen DeBoer type guy apply.  

I posted this elsewhere, but this is applicable here also:

Statistics suggest Bubba is not cut out for big games:

Last game that Bubba won in front of a crowd of 13,000+ was 2016 @ Montana State. Quite frankly, if it’s a big game with a big crowd, he hasn’t produced. Lights get too bright. Stage is too big. 

Interestingly, UND will have another big game, next up, with a crowd over 13,000+ at South Dakota State. Will the squad be ready to perform and will the coaches be ready to lead? We will see, but history suggests not.

9 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

IDA - Passing
Totals 28 46 279 0 1 24 1
McCoy,Gevani 28 46 279 0 1 24 1

IDA - Rushing
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Totals 26 113 5 108 2 19 4.2
Woods,Anthony 11 56 0 56 1 19 5.1
McCoy,Gevani 9 36 3 33 1 9 3.7
Jackson,Jermaine 2 14 0 14 0 10 7.0
Romano,Nick 2 7 0 7 0 6 3.5
TEAM 2 0 2 -2 0 0 -1.0

not too bad........

I'm not saying this because I want to move on from any coaches at this point (I'm also not saying that I don't want to move on for what it's worth)...but we don't have a single coaching staff member who has been a full-time coach at a D1 program other than Western (woof) and Southern Illinois.  Pawlak at least spent some time in a big program...and he's been solid!  That lack of diversity leads to a feel of "inbreeding" in the coaching staff.  I know it's not a cure-all or a guarantee of success...a lot of coaches at lower levels can flat out coach, and a lot of your lower level position coaches are pretty green.  But it is hard to find a lot of new ideas to bring to the table if you've never been anywhere to see things done a different way.  

At least Kirkwood played for the Gophers and Pawlak won a MAC championship at NIU.

Compare that to Idaho (mentioned here)

Eck - played at Wisconsin, coached at 8 different D1 schools

Schleusner - Coached at 3 d1 schools (WIU when they were good, UND, SDSU)

Aurich - USD and NSIC (least diverse resume I saw)

Ford (RB and ST) - UW

Sutton (TE/Recruiting) - San Diego OC

Booth (OL) - Temple/BC/CSU

Lose (DL) - Portland State/Wash St.

Franks (DB) - Wash St./ISU

Linehan (WR) - San Diego St. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

9-2 this season and I am still on board and that would mean we beat either NDSU or SDSU.  

8-3 and I am hanging by a thread but still on board.

7-4 with losses to NDSU, SDSU and one other then I am disinterested in the status quo.  Staff probably returns but not going to follow much.

6-5 is a trainwreck

5-6 gonna watch women's soccer only and find a safe place

Keep in mind, 10-1 is also still a possibility.  And so is 2-9 :blink:

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

7-4 with losses to NDSU, SDSU and one other then I am disinterested in the status quo.  Staff probably returns but not going to follow much.

If this happens, I hope Bubba does what's best for the program and retires. I'm ok with Danny stepping in right away unless their is an amazing glaring candidate interested. I'd hate to have to go through a 30 day waiting period again while many of our best players left.  Not sure we would have held on to Kaminski if not for Danny during the recruiting process. Some new energy and excitement from the very top, if Danny is elevated, can make a difference. Remember Elioder saying he WANTED to come play for Danny and this offense, said it's fun.  Who wouldn't want to play for our offense. As head coach more of that could spill over to all facets of the team. Would be curious to see which route we'd go for OC under that scenario. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

If this happens, I hope Bubba does what's best for the program and retires. I'm ok with Danny stepping in right away unless there is an amazing glaring candidate interested. I'd hate to have to go through a 30 day waiting period again while many of our best players left.  Not sure we would have held on to Kaminski if not for Danny during the recruiting process. Some new energy and excitement from the very top, if Danny is elevated, can make a difference. Remember Elioder saying he WANTED to come play for Danny and this offense, said it's fun.  Who wouldn't want to play for our offense. As head coach more of that could spill over to all facets of the team. Would be curious to see which route we'd go for OC under that scenario. 

I think one thing to recall is the ability for quick turnaround with the transfer portal, NIL, etc. 

we shouldn’t worry about losing players to transfer with a coaching change because it inevitably happens every year no matter what. Might be a few more that leave during a coaching switch, but if you’re getting a better leader and overall improved staff, the investment is definitely worth it in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

...Interestingly, UND will have another big game, next up, with a crowd over 13,000+ at South Dakota State. Will the squad be ready to perform and will the coaches be ready to lead? We will see, but history suggests not.

It appears the UND at SDSU game is sold out.  I haven't heard or read an official statement on that but if one tries to purchase tickets from the official GoJacks.com site, the "none available" message pops up.  The official stadium capacity is 19,340.  I imagine all of the tickets allocated to UND have been purchased.  We've had two games at the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium this season:   Opener against D2 Western Oregon was 16,258; and second home game was against Montana State, 19,332.  Last weekend SDSU was considered the "home" team but we played Drake at Target Field before a crowd of 18,174.  Looks like the home games against UND, UNI and NDSU are sold out (or extremely close to being sold out). The Jacks end their home games with Missouri State.   

Looking forward to a good fight in Brookings against the Hawks.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JackJD said:

It appears the UND at SDSU game is sold out.  I haven't heard or read an official statement on that but if one tries to purchase tickets from the official GoJacks.com site, the "none available" message pops up.  The official stadium capacity is 19,340.  I imagine all of the tickets allocated to UND have been purchased.  We've had two games at the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium this season:   Opener against D2 Western Oregon was 16,258; and second home game was against Montana State, 19,332.  Last weekend SDSU was considered the "home" team but we played Drake at Target Field before a crowd of 18,174.  Looks like the home games against UND, UNI and NDSU are sold out (or extremely close to being sold out). The Jacks end their home games with Missouri State.   

get some folding chairs to get it to 20k+!

13 minutes ago, JackJD said:

If fans were to decide to head down and wing it is there any chance people are dumping them outside the gate?

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

get some folding chairs to get it to 20k+!

LOL.  If we can keep the attendance figures up, the discussion will be started about expansion (upper deck on east side...when the stadium was constructed (completed for the 2016 season), footings and related were put in the ground for relatively little additional cost and, in the long run if the decision is made to expand, that kind of preliminary work should result in considerable cost savings and speed of construction. The east concourse area will be considerably expanded to be similar to the west concourse.) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If fans were to decide to head down and wing it is there any chance people are dumping them outside the gate?

I've had four season tickets since 2010 and until the recent two or three years, it was a pretty safe bet you'd be able to buy a ticket on game day.  That's not true today. I'm probably not a good source for commenting on people offering tickets for sale on game day because I'm in a parking lot on the west side of the stadium just a short walk into the gate, sitting on a chair, drinking a beer.  But from that vantage point, I have not seen a ticket offered.  It seems reasonable to assume someone is offering to sell tickets they cannot use but I can't guess the risk of a drive to Brookings only to find no tickets available. 

I don't know the exact procedure that is followed in the conference, but I think I understand the process generally. The home team has to make available to the visiting team a certain number of tickets (400 or so?).  About five days to a week before gameday, the visiting team returns any unsold tickets and the home team then offers them for sale. I assume you've checked with your athletic office for tickets...if not, I'd do that first.  The game will definitely be a sellout and with the attention the Jacks are getting from new fans etc., any Jacks fans with tickets they can't use will likely connect with other Jacks fans they know.

Hope you can make it. Gamedays in Brookings are a lot of fun and the more the merrier.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JackJD said:

I've had four season tickets since 2010 and until the recent two or three years, it was a pretty safe bet you'd be able to buy a ticket on game day.  That's not true today. I'm probably not a good source for commenting on people offering tickets for sale on game day because I'm in a parking lot on the west side of the stadium just a short walk into the gate, sitting on a chair, drinking a beer.  But from that vantage point, I have not seen a ticket offered.  It seems reasonable to assume someone is offering to sell tickets they cannot use but I can't guess the risk of a drive to Brookings only to find no tickets available. 

I don't know the exact procedure that is followed in the conference, but I think I understand the process generally. The home team has to make available to the visiting team a certain number of tickets (400 or so?).  About five days to a week before gameday, the visiting team returns any unsold tickets and the home team then offers them for sale. I assume you've checked with your athletic office for tickets...if not, I'd do that first.  The game will definitely be a sellout and with the attention the Jacks are getting from new fans etc., any Jacks fans with tickets they can't use will likely connect with other Jacks fans they know.

Hope you can make it. Gamedays in Brookings are a lot of fun and the more the merrier.  

What would you recommend to do in brookings? (Bars, restaurants, tailgating, ect...) About 12 of us heading down that way for this game.

3 hours ago, GoHawks said:

What would you recommend to do in brookings? (Bars, restaurants, tailgating, ect...) About 12 of us heading down that way for this game.

Cubby's and Skinner's Pub I would guess for Bars

Nick's Hamburger Shop is usually pretty good

I'm sure someone else with better knowledge of Brookings can do better than my suggestions, but its a start. 

4 hours ago, GoHawks said:

I see one suggestion was drive to Watertown or Sioux Falls....I'm from Watertown and there are some games where we decide to avoid the post-game crowd and drive to Watertown (40 minutes) and hit BWW where there are usually other Jacks fans. In Brookings, I prefer Cubbys before and after games and any other time. Lots of TVs with all the  games; good food; good beer selection; good service.  Fans from everywhere and all ages are welcome, even the occasional Bison. Often there is a wait to get inside after a big game.  

Tailgating is allowed five hours before  the game.  There are designated tailgating areas although tailgating seems to have spread to any area you can park your vehicle.  Here's a link to an article in the Brookings Register newspaper from 2022 ... it appears to be accurate for this season too.  See the graphic on the left which shows the designated tailgating areas for visiting fans. Of course, that's not mandatory and is actually a great spot with lots of parking. The only "problem" is its a three-block walk to the stadium.  If you want to walk around before the game, walk through the "Backyard" which is the tailgate area immediately north of the indoor track/practice facility which is immediately north of the stadium and the newly-named Steigelmeir Family Student Athlete Center (which abuts the north end of the stadium.  If you're friendly, you'll probably drink free. 

https://brookingsregister.com/article/changes-made-to-sdsu-football-gameday-experience#:~:text=Tailgating and tickets Due to the demand of,hard-surface lot for %24650 for the entire season.

• Upvote 4