SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Whoa … word distraction. 
DeBoer is a very good coach. Did same thing for Fresno State. UND and Faison missed in 2013.

Nope. This isn’t about Bubba. It has nothing to do with DeBoer other than I am asking MW what were the changes he said were made. This is about positive change. So if there was culture change, X’s and O’s Change, game management change what were those changes? If we aren’t going to learn from programs that have successfully transitioned, then we can sit around, complain, talk smart and we may not transition as successfully.  Otherwise it’s just the same complaints with the only solution being fire the coaches. Before we do that we need a transition plan that maximizes our chance of success. Our athletic decision makers need to look at other programs to see if we can benefit from things that worked well for successful transitions. It goes way beyond fire the coaches and plug in what a bunch of rubes like us think is the answer. 

• Upvote 1

The thing that frustrates me the most about FB, and this has been mentioned before, the inability to build momentum.

That's what I want to see next year:  Okay, you made the playoffs last year.  Go do it again and win a game.

You went 7-4 last year, okay.  At least do that next year and maybe go win 1-2 more.

Okay, you went 5-3 in the MVFC.  Repeat that at minumum.

Go beat USD in Vermillion next year and start a winning streak against them.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Whoa … word distraction. 
DeBoer is a very good coach. Did same thing for Fresno State. UND and Faison missed in 2013.

Word distraction? There were no big words in my comments.

If DeBoer will take the UND job I would recommend we hire him. What happened 10 years ago is irrelevant today.
 We need a present day solution. My questions were besides the obvious coaching change, what were the culture, game management, and X’s and O’s Changes MW referred to?  We need to avoid previous mistakes and also maybe apply some new strategies to improve our chance of success. If you disagree, then we disagree.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The thing that frustrates me the most about FB, and this has been mentioned before, the inability to build momentum.

That's what I want to see next year:  Okay, you made the playoffs last year.  Go do it again and win a game.

You went 7-4 last year, okay.  At least do that next year and maybe go win 1-2 more.

Okay, you went 5-3 in the MVFC.  Repeat that at minumum.

Go beat USD in Vermillion next year and start a winning streak against them.

Spot on, top programs don’t do what Bubba’s program did in 2017 and 2021. Leads to regional irrelevance.

42 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

We need to avoid previous mistakes and also maybe apply some new strategies to improve our chance of success.

History repeats itself, so I agree with you. That’s why I think bringing up DeBoer vs Bubba in 2013 is still relevant. Ignoring the past is not a good approach. 

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Word distraction? There were no big words in my comments.

If DeBoer will take the UND job I would recommend we hire him. What happened 10 years ago is irrelevant today.
 We need a present day solution. My questions were besides the obvious coaching change, what were the culture, game management, and X’s and O’s Changes MW referred to?  We need to avoid previous mistakes and also maybe apply some new strategies to improve our chance of success. If you disagree, then we disagree.  

What is the difference? A total commitment from UND admin and athletics dept. Bubba can not do it alone…media hype, sponsorship, hyped up social media posts, players being involved in the community during the off season (lawn work for little old ladies and picking up garbage downtown all in UND t-shirts), asking members of he community and donors to be included in social media posts….seriously.

One of the MOST impressive FB posts is a college which had 4 to 6 year old girls in cheerleading dresses interviewing players…. Just sitting in chairs in the IPF… “Why are you missing your front teeth?” “What do you do to make your butts look square (giggle)?” They even did the pre-season line up with a little help (the team and dates were printed on the posts). There was a “Walk-a-Block” series walking in the community and interviewing players. These are even played on the big screen scoreboard at games. We need more, much more, positive, creative media and we should not depend on the GF Herald to do all our media….and I really love the GFH. There must be a media grad student to work on this.

Every sponsor and donor should have an opportunity to say why UND football is important to them. When I go to home games I see that…2 and 3 generations of fans…all in UND apparel.

Get someone to help Bubba with an image promotion….great for NIL too. This is a whole change in the culture of UND football…someone needs to step up.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

History repeats itself, so I agree with you. That’s why I think bringing up DeBoer vs Bubba in 2013 is still relevant. Ignoring the past is not a good approach. 

It’s not irrelevant, but you’re screwing a dead horse. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nice use of a double negative - thanks. I don’t think any deceased mammals need to be violated for you to just admit bringing up an historical case in point is worthwhile. 

I didn’t use a double negative( saying “it is not irrelevant” isn’t a double negative. That hiring decision was made almost 10 years ago and there is nothing we can do about it now. If you feel it’s important to complain about it year after year then go ahead.  Of course past is important. I have indicated my opinion of the importance for decision makers to review  the programs every year for what went well, and what didn’t go well. Hopefully, we can then move forward learning from our past mistakes as well as past successes. I may be wrong, but I believe we are better served by learning from that past rather than dwelling on it. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I didn’t use a double negative( saying “it is not irrelevant” isn’t a double negative. That hiring decision was made almost 10 years ago and there is nothing we can do about it now. If you feel it’s important to complain about it year after year then go ahead.  Of course past is important. I have indicated my opinion of the importance for decision makers to review  the programs every year for what went well, and what didn’t go well. Hopefully, we can then move forward learning from our past mistakes as well as past successes. I may be wrong, but I believe we are better served by learning from that past rather than dwelling on it. 

I consider irrelevant to be of a negative connotation in this context, so it’s a double negative for all intents and purposes. 

https://www.niu.edu/writingtutorial/grammar/double-negatives.shtml

https://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/double_negative.htm

Enough grammar etiquette- that’s the not point.

We’re ultimately saying the same thing. Not dwelling on mistakes made by UND, just hoping they learn from it. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I consider irrelevant to be of a negative connotation in this context, so it’s a double negative for all intents and purposes. 

https://www.niu.edu/writingtutorial/grammar/double-negatives.shtml

https://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/double_negative.htm

Enough grammar etiquette- that’s the not point.

We’re ultimately saying the same thing. Not dwelling on mistakes made by UND, just hoping they learn from it. 

It’s called a litotes which is different than a double negative, it’s not  important. But yes, we agree on your point. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 4:37 PM, iramurphy said:

It’s not irrelevant, but you’re screwing a dead horse. 

Wading into the conversation late here but are you a fan of screwing LIVE horses as opposed to dead ones?  Personally, I'm opposed to both, but that's just me...

• 6 months later...

I didn't want to derail the Boise St. thread so I brought this topic over here.  Under the current assumption that Danny Freund will be the next HC, what changes do you think he will implement in that role?  Any staff changes?  Who would he elevate to OC?  Just wondering what people think the future coaching staff looks like.  

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I didn't want to derail the Boise St. thread so I brought this topic over here.  Under the current assumption that Danny Freund will be the next HC, what changes do you think he will implement in that role?  Any staff changes?  Who would he elevate to OC?  Just wondering what people think the future coaching staff looks like.  

I’d rather see someone up and coming who has enough success here who can get G5/P5 looks than another UND guy. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I would bet freund would move if an fbs offer comes, waiting for Bubba  to retire may be too long for Danny 

The coach from Ferris state said he would like to coach at Montana just because of the atmosphere at the games 

• Upvote 2