SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba handed the game to Petrino in 2021.   No idea why you are so riled up by Petrino or myself?  No idea why you would defend Bubba as a football coach vs Petrino.   Petrino soring 2020 team was terrible and yet he still won a MVFC and made the playoffs.  If Entz and staff or steiglemeier and staff had coached UNDs team they would have still been playing today.  2021 team would have been in Frisco.  Some of you will lose your mind over this, but coaching is supreme in football.  If you disagree with it’s me are you saying that Bubba is taking a less talented team and getting to .500 via coaching supremacy?   Is that really what you think?

So you believe that if Entz or Steiglemeir was coaching the UND team in the spring COVID season they would have been in Frisco?

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Love your optimism for a change. Oh, and I want what you’re smoking tonight, Chief. LOL!

Just being honest . Bubba gave the game away vs the national champions last fall,  win that game and everything is different.  The game was also given away at MSU,  horrible game @USD, could have won at SIU?  

after a decade of this, the alternative is that we have woefully inadequate players, facilities and the staff is all that keeps us from being a bottom dweller.  You get to pick which you think is closer to the truth.  

befire making you decision, make sure you watch fall if 2021 games vs The SU’s….

10 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Yikes that’s a bad take. Yes, both of those staffs are better, but no one is making the semis with the personnel we had on defense this year.

Do you think we could have beaten Weber?  Even with some weakness in Defense?  Were we prepared?  How did we do in the first half?  Many of the same tendencies, especially on the road?  

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do you think we could have beaten Weber?  Even with some weakness in Defense?  Were we prepared?  How did we do in the first half?  Many of the same tendencies, especially on the road?  

Maybe, this defense was all time bad though, and Weber did whatever they wanted to and were the better team in IMO. I understand what you’re getting at though, our staff sucks on the road and in big games. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Just being honest . Bubba gave the game away vs the national champions last fall,  win that game and everything is different.  The game was also given away at MSU,  horrible game @USD, could have won at SIU?  

after a decade of this, the alternative is that we have woefully inadequate players, facilities and the staff is all that keeps us from being a bottom dweller.  You get to pick which you think is closer to the truth.  

befire making you decision, make sure you watch fall if 2021 games vs The SU’s….

How did he give the game away?

19 hours ago, shep said:

That contradicts another expert's view that UND only recruits D2 players. Coaching could get them there?

Yep, players win games, coaches can lose them, though. Many many times, the coaching at UND has led to loses against teams that they should beat, even with their current inadequate talent level. That’s on the coaching staff.  UND’s coaches certainly don’t walk on water - there’s deficiencies, embrace it. Need better players too, though, but coaches are the recruiters, ya know? 

18 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Yea, I don’t think it was his fault Otis fumbled. 

Remember, biggest fallacy in football is that a single play loses or wins a game. You probably don’t remember it, but look at all the mistakes UND made prior to Otis fumble, and afterwards. It’s a 60 minute ball game. Need better effort from A to Z.

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Remember, biggest fallacy in football is that a single play loses or wins a game. You probably don’t remember it, but look at all the mistakes UND made prior to Otis fumble, and afterwards. It’s a 60 minute ball game. Need better effort from A to Z.

That line of thinking doesn't jive with reality. Future actions are dictated by past actions. We have no idea what set of events would have happened after a 3rd quarter decision or poor play, for example. Or positive play, etc

I know what happens after a poor play or decision with only a few mins left. Not enough time to change the future plays very much.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah the UND staff recruited Otis and put him on the field to fumble that day. On all the staff! Coaches suck ….. blah blah blah. 

you are a broken record man! I hope UND cans all of their coaches so we can suck for the next decade to prove your point…….but hey SDSU might finally win their first title for a coach that’s been there for 26 years. Maybe we ought to keep Bubba for that long…….

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Check out the win probability graph before and after his fumble. Should be telling.

If UND plays better before the fumble, perhaps that situation never occurs.

Did the fumble hurt? Of course. That’s what that the “win probability graph” shows, but it goes beyond just one single play. It calculates the cumulative effect of all plays up to that point. Football is a 60 minute team game. Probably biggest team game of them all. 

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah the UND staff recruited Otis and put him on the field to fumble that day. On all the staff! Coaches suck ….. blah blah blah. 

you are a broken record man! I hope UND cans all of their coaches so we can suck for the next decade to prove your point…….but hey SDSU might finally win their first title for a coach that’s been there for 26 years. Maybe we ought to keep Bubba for that long…….

You’re broken with your backlash. UND already is irrelevant when it comes to top tier FCS programs. They’ve won one division one playoff game in the last 15 years. Sick of them not getting a nationally televised football game yet. It’s not good enough right now.

And you’re completely incorrect - it’s unlikely UND is going to “suck” or get much worse by ”canning” this all-star coaching staff, but I digress.

South Dakota State argument is the broken record; keeping a coach for 26 years is definitely not the standard/norm around the country, but yet only South Dakota State (that’s never won a championship, maybe will finally get one this year) has it figured out?

14 hours ago, UND1983 said:

That line of thinking doesn't jive with reality

But does it? Comes down to playing better team football the entire game. Not a difficult concept. 

Future actions are dictated by past actions … so what if the past actions are better? Then there will be better (e.g., perhaps no fumbling) future actions. 

55 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If UND plays better before the fumble, perhaps that situation never occurs.

Did the fumble hurt? Of course. That’s what that the “win probability graph” shows, but it goes beyond just one single play. It calculates the cumulative effect of all plays up to that point. Football is a 60 minute team game. Probably biggest team game of them all. 

But what about the narrative that the SU game LAST YEAR was lost when Bubba went for it on 4th down?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Future actions are dictated by past actions … so what if the past actions are better? Then there will be better (e.g., perhaps no fumbling) future actions. 

Umm, not really.  Just different.  Some good some bad, ya know, like every other game. 

28 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The entire season was lost on that play, probably the pinnacle of his career at UND.  I love Bubba as a man, but that was an indefensible sequence. 

Really?  No plays were made after that I guess.

That field goal they got off it really ended the season aye?  You're a fu$&ng idiot.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do you forget the first fumble was a trick play? 

Nope. This coaching staff can be fairly and rightly criticized for a lot of things but I feel like there are some on here that are trying to reach and criticize for things that simply aren’t accurate or we have no way in knowing whether it’s accurate.