SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

I feel the same. While the fumble was not the only problem, I understand the issues and complaints people have with what has gone on this fall with Otis. This topped it off for some with what happened earlier this season, then a fumble that leads to a TD when at worst run the ball the three times and take away all their timeouts, give them terrible field possession. Clock management has always been a thorn with this staff. I'll take a five yard delay of game over a timeout in the second half in a tight game, when that timeout can absolutely change the game. I have enjoyed the addition of trick plays, but Saturday's play will always be a head scratcher. Running the football was no issue, so two yards shouldn't be too tall of a task, if they were that concerned, then play-action pass. Why have someone new take a snap, when he has said in the past he needs to work on his catching and ball skills. Taking your first snap in that scenario, no thank you. The missed INT on Missouri State's opening drive turned out to loom large (radio sure made it sound like it would be a pick6). Not taking away a drive, let alone when points are scored, is well tough when the opportunity is missed. While I do think the program is in MUCH better position then it was when Bubba got here and I get keeping him, sooner or later, average can't be good enough after this amount of time. After that being said, I still will be there the next 2 weekends, and very possibly in Brookings to cheer them on.

• Upvote 2

I’ve said it before, I thank Bubba for building the program up to at least be somewhat respected from what Muss did to the program but I think Bubba has peaked what he can do with this program. I would rather Bubba retire than get fired but it’s time for someone knew at the helm. I have no clue who that is but it’s gotta be someone that is on the up and up. Someone like Kalen DeBoer was. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’ve said it before, I thank Bubba for building the program up to at least be somewhat respected from what Muss did to the program but I think Bubba has peaked what he can do with this program. I would rather Bubba retire than get fired but it’s time for someone knew at the helm. I have no clue who that is but it’s gotta be someone that is on the up and up. Someone like Kalen DeBoer was. 

DeBoer would've been here for 2-3 years tops if he won then we start all over.  If he didn't we would be bitching about him too.

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

DeBoer would've been here for 2-3 years tops if he won then we start all over.  If he didn't we would be bitching about him too.

I mean I would love to find a guy that elevates the program to the next level and stays for a decade plus but to me at the FCS level you’re going to find a lot of people that are looking to build there career and that comes with wins. I thought for a while maybe the next guy could be Danny and he would be one more likely to stay than jump but this season has made most of us second guess that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

and comparing UND to NDSU in the overall state of the program is apples to oranges. It's hard to lose at NDSU 

Not if NDSU chooses to run a "trick play" on 4th and 2 with a 2 score lead.   The more I watch it, the worse it looks.  I'm not sure if Otis and Belquist were sure it was a pitch or a handoff. 

Kind of like going for it on 4th and 1 at your own 20 with the lead in the 3rd qtr or coming out of the half and calling timeout before a play is run.

To get a change some higher profile players from the past need to step up and have talks with bubba and AD

having to dig out of a hole caused years ago by 2 ex coaches when we didn’t move up in time hasn’t went real well

also our AD picks have really sucked

now with all,the conference realignments who knows where things will end up, I’m of the opinion when you change football conference change all sports 

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Really, when?

They lost Bohl to Wyoming. They lost Kleiman to Kansas State. Why? Because of the overwhelming success NDSU had during their time at the helm. If we have some measure of national success, we'll lose coaches to FBS programs as well. And that is a good problem to have.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

and comparing UND to NDSU in the overall state of the program is apples to oranges. It's hard to lose at NDSU 

I'll take Completely Missing the Point for $500, Alex. :silly:

• Upvote 2

Mussman for 6 years (31-34), Bubba's 8th year (67-60) with Rudy for 5 of those - we have an incredible tolerance for mediocrity.  Add in the fact that Bubba is perhaps the worst in-game manager in all of DI football - and he has another year on his contract extension.  Here we are.  Bitching on the fan board (usually with prompt rebuttals) is about as far as we go to demand change.  Bubba is an upgrade from Muss and his teams have some flashes of really good play, but no one can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like he can.  Rinse, repeat.  Cue blaming Hockey for the decline in interest and attendance.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They lost Bohl to Wyoming. They lost Kleiman to Kansas State. Why? Because of the overwhelming success NDSU had during their time at the helm. If we have some measure of national success, we'll lose coaches to FBS programs as well. And that is a good problem to have.

I said they would lose Deboer in 2-3 years if he won.  Bohl was at NDSU for 11.  Klieman was there for 8 years total.  

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No I made my point exactly clear, damn near perfect.  They can lose coaches and not miss a beat. Name that last coach that was a overall net 'loser' at NDSU? 

Hell, Bob Babich was 46-22 in his time there.  Cmon.  

42 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I believe the point is at this level, you don't really want "lifer" types on the staff. Exceptions to every rule...but its easier to replace guys who leave when your school has a good reputation for sending guys to bigger and better things.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I believe the point is at this level, you don't really want "lifer" types on the staff. Exceptions to every rule...but its easier to replace guys who leave when your school has a good reputation for sending guys to bigger and better things.

Other than Bubba due to his age, what lifer is on the staff?  I don't get it I guess. 

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It means if you are an FCS program and your head coach doesn't attract interest from FBS schools, it means you probably have an average to mediocre program. Which is what we are. Which is what we will continue being under the current regime.

OK.  So trying to think of all the FCS coaches that are getting plucked by FBS schools.  I come up with NDSU, SHSU (Fritz), JMU (Houston), Hauck went to UNLV 11 years ago to get his ass kicked and end up right back at Montana. Baldwin went to be an OC at Cal. Choate went to be a linebacker coach at Texas. 

So the programs whose coaches attract FBS offers are NDSU, JMU, SHSU, EWU, Montana and Montana State.  Shocker - all football first, national power schools.  :silly:

(also doing the downvote thing when you don't like a point being made is weaksh*t)

• Downvote 1

I could not care less if they move on from Bubba.  But thinking a new guy will come in and revitalize the program for a few years, only to leave, and THAT will be the difference is not dealing in reality.  UND needs somebody who will be here for 7-10 years to build it to a Top 10 level every year - and hopefully then the next guy can build off that.  This isn't NDSU where every coach wins, no matter what.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would rather Bubba retire than get fired but it’s time for someone knew at the helm. I have no clue who that is but it’s gotta be someone that is on the up and up.

I hear Mike Zimmer may be looking for work soon.

Good teams have that killer instinct. They can just smell when the game's on the line or its time to put someone away. We just have never had that with a Bubba led team.  I want a HC that looks confident all game. Confidence is contagious, but unfortunately so is anxiety and our coach looks like he's shitting bricks all game long. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kab said:

To get a change some higher profile players from the past need to step up and have talks with bubba and AD

having to dig out of a hole caused years ago by 2 ex coaches when we didn’t move up in time hasn’t went real well

also our AD picks have really sucked

now with all,the conference realignments who knows where things will end up, I’m of the opinion when you change football conference change all sports 

To your point, I'm really starting to wonder if Chaves will be the guy leading the search for a new direction in FB this time next year, with a new president on board and settled in.   

Yes, I do think there will be a search after the 2022 season, sorry to be negative that's just how I see the tea leaves.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

We are having a rough fall with a number of close losses and nobody is happy with that.  That being said, we did win the conference 6 months ago and were in the final 8 in the playoffs so it hasn't been a very long run of futility. 

Tied with what two other teams for conference champs? Now they're 3-5 this year. Didn't UND win the Big Sky and the next year go 3-8? It is not good enough to have a couple good years and many bad ones.