SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

15 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Now my primary point....  for UND to compete at the level we all want, we need to recruit better athletes. 

This is correct. We don't have the same level of players that the top 2 teams in our conference have. We do not have any defensive players that would start at either of the SU's. Offense might have a couple but not many. This is the problem. I'm not sure if it's because they won't come here or if our coaches can't identify them. 

12 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

This is correct. We don't have the same level of players that the top 2 teams in our conference have. We do not have any defensive players that would start at either of the SU's. Offense might have a couple but not many. This is the problem. I'm not sure if it's because they won't come here or if our coaches can't identify them. 

Another reason I think Danny would be great as our next head coach. Look at the players he is bringing in this year and already next year on offense.

QB - Kaminski (Had other D1 offers and looks like the real deal)

RB - Seidl and Brunell (Seidl had multiple D1 offers as does Brunell)

WR - Tai (Other D1 offers and some walk ons that look different than our past in Hakim and Deng)

TE - Work in progress. A good season from Quincy will help.

OL - Maciezak (lost to Nebraska on a scholarship offer) Lopau, Alton Williams, Stobbe, Bell (Other D1 offers) 

As Danny has turned our offense into one of the top in FCS, the recruiting has picked up. Would think he would do the same to improve our defense. Also will help with our facilities being done next year, Alston awards, and new buildings on campus.  I work in our admissions office and hear daily from visiting students that our campus is one of the top in the region and consistently hear we are better than NDSU!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

According to mcfooley we won’t have to worry about the 2 SU’s when they move to the new pac  12/mwc , there would be an A conference and a JV conference based on who is winning the year before and teams are moved up and down each year

How do you budget when you have no idea where you need to travel in a year if you're relegated (or moved up)? 
And what'll your revenues be if you move up, or worse, down? 

It's a great thought experiment but few presidents and ADs play on that section of the risk-reward curve. 

29 minutes ago, Kab said:

According to mcfooley we won’t have to worry about the 2 SU’s when they move to the new pac  12/mwc , there would be an A conference and a JV conference based on who is winning the year before and teams are moved up and down each year

relegation and promotion..................love it!

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How do you budget when you have no idea where you need to travel in a year if you're relegated (or moved up)? 
And what'll your revenues be if you move up, or worse, down? 

It's a great thought experiment but few presidents and ADs play on that section of the risk-reward curve. 

Actually, kind of a fun idea. My first thought though would be from a $ standpoint, would there actually be much of a difference between the Top / Bottom league? From a $ standpoint, OSU / Wazzu bring nothing of value to the tv contract conversation. Fun thought though. We'd maybe be talking about $6 million for the Top league and $2 million for the bottom league.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I’d prefer luke over danny

luke knows how winning feels

I agree. Get the ball rolling.

https://govandals.com/staff-directory/luke-schleusner/1337#:~:text=Schleusner previously served as Offensive,Great West Football Conference title.

he could probably bring Adam Thielen with him as a coach…  (okay okay that’s hyperbole, but worth mentioning the connection.)

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Come up with $500K and make all your Nebraska dreams come true. You're on the right path, bringing home a former player to replace a head coach with a winning record.

Not exactly apples to oranges comparison, but nice try. I agree with others, you are in fact delusional. 

Bo Pelini at Nebraska: 67-27 (.713)

Bubba Schweigert at UND: 56-47 (.544)

As most have said, we’d kill for 70+% winning percentage. Why can’t  you admit Bubba has underperformed at UND? He’s not the best option. Not even 2nd or 3rd…

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. Get the ball rolling.

https://govandals.com/staff-directory/luke-schleusner/1337#:~:text=Schleusner previously served as Offensive,Great West Football Conference title.

he could probably bring Adam Thielen with him as a coach…  (okay okay that’s hyperbole, but worth mentioning the connection.)

Adam isn’t going to be an assistant coach at this level. 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I’d prefer luke over danny

luke knows how winning feels

I like the Luke option purely for the fact he's seen other places.  I'm not opposed to Danny, but if Danny were willing to be his OC, I'd be good with that.  May need some new defensive ideas, too....I've been proud of the 3-4 for a long time, but it doesn't seem to do us as many favors as it used to. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not exactly apples to oranges comparison, but nice try. I agree with others, you are in fact delusional. 

Bo Pelini at Nebraska: 67-27 (.713)

Bubba Schweigert at UND: 56-47 (.544)

As most have said, we’d kill for 70+% winning percentage. Why can’t  you admit Bubba has underperformed at UND? He’s not the best option. Not even 2nd or 3rd…

What in my comparison was factually incorrect?
And underperformed compared to what exactly? NDSU? Sure, who hasn't? USD since they are a fair comparison, moving to D1 the same time we did and in a similar conference? Nope. 

Nebraska fans would kill for a winning percentage equal to Bubba's since Pelini left. And Frost didn't have to rebuild from the bottom up, unlike where UND's program was when Bubba took over.

Like I said, come up with $500K and your dream of being equal to the Big Red faithful is on its way. Until you have the money, you're just shouting into the abyss because UND isn't firing a coach with 2 years remaining on their contract. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

What in my comparison was factual incorrect?
And underperformed compared to what exactly? NDSU? Sure, who hasn't? USD since they are a fair comparison, moving to D1 the same time we did and in a similar conference? Nope. 
Nebraska fans would kill for a winning percentage equal to Bubba's since Pelini left. And Frost didn't have to rebuild from the bottom up, unlike where UND's program was when Bubba took over.
Like I said, come up with $500K and your dream of being equal to the Big Red faithful is on its way. Until you have the money, you're just shouting into the abyss because UND isn't firing a coach with 2 years remaining on their contract. 

The neurologist is waiting.

Tent.thumb.webp.9302d43d690a1abe25b18a884ff2be1b.webp

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I like the Luke option purely for the fact he's seen other places.  I'm not opposed to Danny, but if Danny were willing to be his OC, I'd be good with that.  May need some new defensive ideas, too....I've been proud of the 3-4 for a long time, but it doesn't seem to do us as many favors as it used to. 

Luke as HC and Danny as OC would be neat, they know each other from Mussman staff, but unlikely, as really all of this, unfortunately. Keeping Bubba until he retires in a few years and then bumping Danny Freund is the odds on favorite to happen, especially if 6-5 and 7-4 seasons continue happen. Seems to be the (very low) benchmark Chaves has for his football program here at UND, unfortunately. 

As for 3-4, the scheme could work if have better players, but we don’t. Need to switch to 4-3 (scheme) and/or recruit better players. 

the current issue is that the 3 down linemen that UND institutes aren’t big and strong enough in base sets and the outside linebackers (edge players) aren’t athletic enough in nickel/passing sets. If you don’t have a good enough front 7, it makes your back end look poor, also. 

• Like 1