SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

22 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I don't necessarily buy that.  You have a valid point, but there's a reason Kris McGarry went to the press to complain about Kennedy while the negotiations for the lease agreement were taking place.  Public sentiment means a lot in this day and age.  

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I kind of think $100,000,000 donor with a say in the management of the Ralph had a lot more to do with that than public sentiment. 

I don't follow..

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who knew this staff had top recruiting classes and still be able to drag this team down with their inferior coaching…..? I guess I failed to realize that the reason we can’t beat the Bison and win titles is the coaching ….

So after watching the Hawks last season, we lost to the Bison because of their great recruiting?  Were you actually at the game?  How about Missouri State?  UND lost that game because the MSU players were so much better than the UND players?  Is that what you really think?

I'm not saying UND does not have some good coaches doing really good things, but you seem to think that if not for the the outstanding coaching, UND may have only beaten Drake?  Or in your estimation was that win, two evenly matched teams and Bubba just was able to get the boys better prepared for the game?

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The difference is, at NDSU, the culture and masses focus on football. The majority of funds goes towards football. 

At UND, the culture and masses focus on hockey. The majority of funds goes towards hockey. 

Simple difference, but it is, in fact, the difference. 

For UND football to ascend further, there will need to be a major financial gift (like UND once received from RE for REA). That is the only path moving forward where a significant change in fortune comes for UND football. 

If UND had a $100 million facility for UND football, which sport at UND would be the most popular? Money talks, directly and indirectly to fans as well as it creates the culture.

For UND hockey, pretty darn hard to overlook a frickin’ massive $100M Arena in place for hockey games. 

Will UND ever again receive a gift (individual or collective) that trumps Engelstad’s gift for hockey? Doubtful, but that’s what you have to hope for for the sake of UND athletics, specifically football.

Mark Chipman or Dave Fennell still on the doner radar?

On 3/16/2022 at 10:44 AM, iramurphy said:

Simple. I don’t believe public sentiment was an issue in that case. 

So the purpose of her interview wasn't to create negotiating leverage?  That interview and the subsequent news headlines put a lot of pressure on Kennedy to capitulate, no?  

On 3/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, jdub27 said:

If I had to guess, it is being put aside so if/when UND takes it over in 2030 there are actually funds available to take care of upkeep. NDUS has a pretty good track record of running up deferred maintenance.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, jdub27 said:

I agree with almost everything you said and I'm not saying it is or isn't the case, but just my thoughts on it from conversations I've had. 

I looked at an old usage agreement, and it's pretty incredible how much it has changed over the years.  Posted below is a comparison between the same segment of the usage agreement between 2004 and the current agreement.

Old agreement (black line is a page break):
image.png.5cb93133253c07b044552a1373e312b5.png

Current usage agreement:

image.png.7dd6daa4b4a63af051e48c442d251498.png

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, ND1 said:

Full time .. 38 k 

yikes 

Not ideal but its an entry level job into coaching and beats being a Grad Asst.
Starting is within 10% or so of what's paid in Fargo and Vermillion and slightly higher than the same position in Brookings (based on title, not necessarily job requirements). Experience likely varies as well.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, nodak651 said:

Is this a newly created position?  If so, this should take a load off some of the assistant coaches who currently have to handle some of this stuff, correct?

https://campus.und.edu/human-resources/careers/job-openings.html
image.png.5e918280cc922fe0b71a0bc118c6ee7d.png

Definitely agree in principal that this is a needed position, but the salary of 38k is laughable. Just shows you how tight UND football is with their budget. Need improvements with budget desperately. I get it is “comparable” to Fargo and Vermillion, but those communities are also easier to recruit staff to (Vermillion maybe not so much, but close to Sioux Falls).

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Definitely agree in principal that this is a needed position, but the salary of 38k is laughable. Just shows you how tight UND football is with their budget. Need improvements with budget desperately. I get it is “comparable” to Fargo and Vermillion, but those communities are also easier to recruit staff to (Vermillion maybe not so much, but close to Sioux Falls).

That's the problem with UND Marketing jobs - they don't pay sh*t!   If you could get someone to take the job they won't kep it because they can make more money....ANYWHERE!  Been a problem for a long time...they need to address it.  Get someone GOOD in that job and pay them - it would go a long way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

That's the problem with UND Marketing jobs - they don't pay sh*t!   If you could get someone to take the job they won't kep it because they can make more money....ANYWHERE!  Been a problem for a long time...they need to address it.  Get someone GOOD in that job and pay them - it would go a long way.

It's not a UND thing, its an industry thing and isn't much different than pretty much anywhere. Entry level jobs (coaching or sports marketing) are basically foot-in-the door, stepping stone jobs. Show up, prove what you can do and you'll be rewarded with a promotion or a better job elsewhere. Unfortunate reality of the business. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

They will snap fill it with a ton of applicants to choose from

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, Irish said:

All of the resources in the world wouldn't make Bubba a better game coach - his crappy coaching led directly to our losing season last year.  So this is what we want for our Football program?  What's worse is that not being able to properly manage a game or clock seems to be hard baked into him.  I expect zero improvement in this area for next season. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Will our personnel ever be good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  Does FCS talent exist on any team, good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  After last fall, these are very real questions. 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Coaching is supreme in football and within reason much more important than talent.  Based on last fall, IMO, we will never have enough talent to overcome the coaching problems.  

Take a look at this falls schedule, what would your over/under be on wins?

On 3/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think Bobby Petrino is paging you down at Missouri State...

2015 - 0-8/1-10
2016 - 2-6/4-7
2017 - 2-6/3-8
2018 - 2-6/4-7
2019 - 1-7/1-10

Petrino
2020 - 5-1 CHAMPS/5-5 NCAA playoffs
2021 - 6-2 RUNNER UP/8-4 NCAA playoffs

On 3/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, jdub27 said:

The guy who went 2-8 his last year in Louisville? Or the guy who quit on his NFL team midseason because they were 3-10? Not to mention personal issues.
Let's see how he is able to actually sustain something before we're crowning Bobby Petrino as some sort of magician. He brought in a ridiculous amount of transfers and UND should have still beat them at their place until *checks notes* one of our RB's fumbled as we were running out the clock. Must not be all that good of a coach if he could barely squeak by UND's incompetent staff...

If only UND was wise enough to have hired Petrino the program would be in a way better position right now, right? 

Actually, looks like Petrino is leaving Missouri State with a losing record vs Bubba.  Is Petrino leaving Missouri State with an empty cupboard right before signing day? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If only UND was wise enough to have hired Petrino the program would be in a way better position right now, right? 

Actually, looks like Petrino is leaving Missouri State with a losing record vs Bubba.  Is Petrino leaving Missouri State with an empty cupboard right before signing day? 

So is Missouri State better off now than before Bobby? Imagine all the transfers with one year connection to the school wondering what's next. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:44 AM, iramurphy said:

Simple. I don’t believe public sentiment was an issue in that case. 

Actually, IMHO any unit of government spending public money seems to ignore public sentiment….spoken from a MN viewpoint with now almost $18 BILLION of excess tax money, currently undecided.

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So is Missouri State better off now than before Bobby? Imagine all the transfers with one year connection to the school wondering what's next. 

I feel kind of bad for the Missouri State fans. They started having high hopes.....then they crapped the bed this year and now Bobby is gone and I'm sure they will likely have a lot of guys transfer out ....and back to being a dumpster fire again. 

Although on the other hand, some of those Misery State fans got pretty cocky pretty quickly, so in that sense I don't feel that bad. 

3 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Actually, IMHO any unit of government spending public money seems to ignore public sentiment….spoken from a MN viewpoint with now almost $18 BILLION of excess tax money, currently undecided.

The case I referred to was money from a private donor.

Certainly public sentiment is a big issue with tax dollars. In Minnesota politicians will be falling all over themselves to find ways to spend the tax surplus. Their priorities tend to be either rewarding voters or buying votes. I don’t hear much discussion about a “rainy day fund”. There is discussion regarding no longer taxing social security but half of the politicians will have a fit if that applies to all SS recipients. Given time both sides will create a s show and then waste a good portion if not all. 

If private donors want to earmark their donations, it’s best to say thank you. If they wish to make unrestricted donations then public sentiment is a factor. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Certainly public sentiment is a big issue with tax dollars. In Minnesota politicians will be falling all over themselves to find ways to spend the tax surplus. Their priorities tend to be either rewarding voters or buying votes. I don’t hear much discussion about a “rainy day fund”. There is discussion regarding no longer taxing social security but half of the politicians will have a fit if that applies to all SS recipients. Given time both sides will create a s show and then waste a good portion if not all. 

If private donors want to earmark their donations, it’s best to say thank you. If they wish to make unrestricted donations then public sentiment is a factor. 

At face value, I agree with this post.

However, I looked back for context and it looks like you were responding to a post of mine, which was about negotiations for a new operating agreement rather than a new donation.  I don't agree that this quoted post is applicable to the usage agreement negotiations if that is what you are referring to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

At face value, I agree with this post.

However, I looked back for context and it looks like you were responding to a post of mine, which was about negotiations for a new operating agreement rather than a new donation.  I don't agree that this quoted post is applicable to the usage agreement negotiations if that is what you are referring to.

I don’t (nor have I ever) liked the contract that gives REA any control over anything not directly related to REA revenues or the Engelstad donations. However donors often tie strings to their donations. The recipient needs to know where to draw the line. UND drew the line with Sanford and turned down a $10,000,000 initial donation. Sanford wanted exclusive sports  med rights. Frankly, I don’t know if there were any other strings but the parties had a tentative agreement.

I don’t know the details of the issues with the Engelstads and UND but I wasn’t aware of “corruption”.  If they negotiated and got a legal contract, then I don’t believe there is evidence of corruption but that’s my opinion. I don’t know all if the facts. I do know that Ralph and his foundation has been extremely generous to multiple organizations and causes including UND. 

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Ira, you are a very wise man!

Yes, both sides are creating a show. Yes, money will be wasted and there will be a very questionable public benefit.

• Upvote 1