SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

On 12/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, Sioux94 said:

I haven't gone back and re-read it all....but I think the whole issue is that whole part of the discussion stemmed from someone basically saying....."Bubba directly screwed the pooch in the Missouri State game at the end".   Otis fumbled the ball on his own, Danny called the play and it didn't work.....so some people were just questioning.....how is that Bubba directly screwing that game up.  In the end wins and losses are on the coach....yes, but to say Otis's fumble and that 4th down play call....somehow show Bubba is a bad coach based on that....just seems like a stretch to pile on Bubba.  And on that 4th down play call....we likely wouldn't have picked it up if we ran it up the gut.  

I am with you on the 4th down call against NDSU, and probably most of us are as to how bad it was....but that wasn't what we were talking about when the Missouri St. meltdown came up.   

since we are at it....can someone finally tell me why we punted down 3 scores in the 4th quarter against nicholls?

One thing I noticed while listening to this is Danny references winning a national championship. Bubba just talks about how happy they are to be recruiting the Midwest.  Is it a coincidence that our offense is way closer to national championship caliber than our defense?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Twitter is just gushing over "should have been former UND Football coach", Kalen DeBoer right now.

11-2 in his first year at "UDub"? Gushing seems reasonable. UDub was 4-8 in 2021.

I have three UDub relatives. When DeBoer was hired they asked me. I said we picked Bubba over; they cringed. I said UND screwed up. They were still skeptical. 

I set "the number" at 8 wins. If the UDub 2022 record was under 8 wins I'd owe a 1.75 of Tito's for each game under 8. Contrarily, for each win over 8 they'd owe me a 1.75 of Tito's. I made the bet with each of the three. So 11 wins, 3 over 8, times 3 bets ... 3 times 3 bets times 1.75 ... yeah, lotta Tito's coming to me. In my email this morning was note to go to Costco and send them the bill. And they didn't seem upset at all. :D 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have three UDub relatives. When DeBoer was hired they asked me. I said we picked Bubba over; they cringed. I said UND screwed up. They were still skeptical. 

2008 - Mussman

2013 - Bubba

These critical DI UND football leadership moves have been disappointing.

When will it be time for the next move? And will it be better executed?

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

11-2 in his first year at "UDub"? Gushing seems reasonable. UDub was 4-8 in 2021.

I set "the number" at 8 wins. If the UDub 2022 record was under 8 wins I'd owe a 1.75 of Tito's for each game under 8. Contrarily, for each win over 8 they'd owe me a 1.75 of Tito's. I made the bet with each of the three. So 11 wins, 3 over 8, times 3 bets ... 3 times 3 bets times 1.75 ... yeah, lotta Tito's coming to me. In my email this morning was note to go to Costco and send them the bill. And they didn't seem upset at all. :D 

Coaching doesn't matter...;)

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Coaching doesn't matter...;)

Relative to the competition, does Deboer have better or worse facilities than Bubba?  Despite the football team still not having a legit locker room (old one was going to be condemned) Bubba has put together a top 15 football program and the team is getting better and better.  Program is still trending in the right direction whether you feel like admitting it or not.  Program support matters just as much as coaching - see Stig for example.  Bubba just crushed Petrino this year as well, in Petrino's third season, but coaching...

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Program is still trending in the right direction whether you feel like admitting it or not.  Program support matters just as much as coaching - see Stig for example.

UND program support is not at the same level of SDSU and NDSU, but working on it. And I think UND was almost “top 15” in 2022, but what happened in 2021? Or 2017? That was under Bubba’s watch and is unacceptable if you want to claim that UND is making progress towards the upper echelon.

Inconsistency has been the issue. And getting back to support, letdowns kill momentum and that oh so very important support by laypersons. 

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND program support is not at the same level of SDSU and NDSU, but working on it. And I think UND was almost “top 15” in 2022, but what happened in 2021? Or 2017? That was under Bubba’s watch and is unacceptable if you want to claim that UND is making progress towards the upper echelon.

Inconsistency has been the issue. And getting back to support, letdowns kill momentum and that oh so very important support by laypersons. 

https://masseyratings.com/cf/5538

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, nodak651 said:

Relative to the competition, does Deboer have better or worse facilities than Bubba?  Despite the football team still not having a legit locker room (old one was going to be condemned) Bubba has put together a top 15 football program and the team is getting better and better.  Program is still trending in the right direction whether you feel like admitting it or not.  Program support matters just as much as coaching - see Stig for example.  Bubba just crushed Petrino this year as well, in Petrino's third season, but coaching...

Well, after this next phase Bubba says we will have the best facilities in FCS.  At that point, no more excuses, but we know that won't be the case. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

I didn't say it, Bubba did, but it sounds like you are setting it up for more excuses after it is finished. 

I was responding to this "At that point, no more excuses, but we know that won't be the case"

We don't know the results of future seasons, let alone the next game.  You're making a lot of assumptions.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:37 PM, nodak651 said:

Bubba is a great man.  I am just tired of being 1-2 games over .500 or 1-2 games under .500, with games lost to questionable coaching.  Facilities have nothing to do with X’s and O’s.  Washington is a great example . Only thing which changed in Seattle,  is X’s and O’s, culture and game management.  If being a the best man won championships, we would need a gymnasium to house all the hardware won over the last decade.

We should be in Frisco today.  We should be there 25% of the time, minimum.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba is a great man.  I am just tired of being 1-2 games over .500 or 1-2 games under .500, with games lost to questionable coaching.  Facilities have nothing to do with X’s and O’s.  Washington is a great example . Only thing which changed in Seattle,  is X’s and O’s, culture and game management.  If being a the best man won championships, we would need a gymnasium to house all the hardware won over the last decade.

We should be in Frisco today.  We should be there 25% of the time, minimum.

I don’t believe we have any idea of all that went into Washington’s success. We are far removed from the inner workings of their program. How did the X’s and 0’s change? How did the culture change?  What about the game management was different?  If you really want to model your business or program after another, I would think we would look at what happened previously  to have led to failure. How did admin address those issues? What changes were brought about?  Head coach, assistants, resources, but also team leadership. Key players back with another year of experience. Change in player leadership and team captains can also be a major factor.  So what changed for Washington?   How did their X’s and 0’s change. What about their culture changed before this season? What is different in game management this year?  I’m not disagreeing with you but I’m not able to make those claims cuz I’m not close enough to the program to know. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t believe we have any idea of all that went into Washington’s success. We are far removed from the inner workings of their program. How did the X’s and 0’s change? How did the culture change?  What about the game management was different?  If you really want to model your business or program after another, I would think we would look at what happened previously  to have led to failure. How did admin address those issues? What changes were brought about?  Head coach, assistants, resources, but also team leadership. Key players back with another year of experience. Change in player leadership and team captains can also be a major factor.  So what changed for Washington?   How did their X’s and 0’s change. What about their culture changed before this season? What is different in game management this year?  I’m not disagreeing with you but I’m not able to make those claims cuz I’m not close enough to the program to know. 

Whoa … word distraction. 
DeBoer is a very good coach. Did same thing for Fresno State. UND and Faison missed in 2013.

• Upvote 4