SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

Just now, nodak651 said:

That's not the play that lost us the game.  That play came later when Otis fumbled on a basic run play.

The first play lost the game . That’s not championship football.  It’s a BS play call and happens all the time.  Like I said I would be the farm the play was run less than 5 times in practice that week and likely successful less than half the time.

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

The first play lost the game . That’s not championship football.  It’s a BS play call and happens all the time.  Like I said I would be the farm the play was run less than 5 times in practice that week and likely successful less than half the time.

I was too slow in deleting my post.  Not something I have time to argue about today.. especially if the argument is based on something that you're guessing about.

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

4 is less than 5.
Less than half of 4 is 1.
At best, you're saying UND completed the play 1 out of 4 attempts in practice?
You're a joke.

I am saying that play was not run enough successfully in practice and that is why it was a cluster.... in the game.  That is how football works.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

not at all what happened. https://missouristatebears.com/watch/?Archive=1772&type=Archive 56 seconds

Direct snap to Otis who fumbled the handoff/toss to Bo.  Not that complex.  Looks like its as much Bo's fault if anything.

Second fumble at 1:35

as midwester hawk says...your missing at least one (or two) more trickerations....for all we know the ball could've gone east west 3 more times to fool em....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

In case anyone has forgotten UND was dominating the game at that point, up 28-17 with 6:32 left.  4th and 2 at Missouri State 29 yard line.  We direct snap to Otis, he hands it to Bo who is going to throw a pass to Q.  I would love to know how many times that play worked flawlessly in practice.  

As for fault, its Bubba's fault.  That is how football works.

Did Bubba call that play? On 4th down....does the OC run the play by the coach first or does he just run it? That I don't know the answer to.  Bubba may have had veto power but I hardly doubt he got on the headset and told Danny....hey let's run that one trick play...

Danny should get most of the blame for the play call if you are going to blame someone. However, any time a trick play is run.....if it doesn't work.....people think it's the worst call in history. But when they run it and it works....all of the sudden they are brilliant. Thinking back to last year, our OL was not good at picking up short yardage. Remember our -1 yard average running the ball on 2nd and short last year? Danny must have felt the couldn't punch it up the gut with a stacked line on 4th and short and tried to catch them off guard, obviously turned into a disaster. 

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Did Bubba call that play? On 4th down....does the OC run the play by the coach first or does he just run it? That I don't know the answer to.  Bubba may have had veto power but I hardly doubt he got on the headset and told Danny....hey let's run that one trick play...

Danny should get most of the blame for the play call if you are going to blame someone. However, any time a trick play is run.....if it doesn't work.....people think it's the worst call in history. But when they run it and it works....all of the sudden they are brilliant. Thinking back to last year, our OL was not good at picking up short yardage. Remember our -1 yard average running the ball on 2nd and short last year? Danny must have felt the couldn't punch it up the gut with a stacked line on 4th and short and tried to catch them off guard, obviously turned into a disaster. 

I agree, I m sure Danny called the play.  I’m sure Bubba saw it run in pravtice, I’m sure they speak on Sunday game-planning, during the week and pre game.  The debacle vs NDSU was a “trick play” too.  Burned badly on both.  Neither involved sound situational football which reinforces my larger point.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, jdub27 said:

It's truly astounding how you can continously contradict yourself to make each and every scenario fit your agenda and you either refuse see it or are just wilfully ignorant about it. I mean, bravo to blindly have that much conviction about something I guess? 

How does that contradict what I have said?  Danny called the play, Danny works for Bubba. Why do so many of you make excuses for mediocrity over and over again?  Over time there is NO LUCK involved in winning and losing football games.  The 4th down vs NDSU is probably the worst situational football move I can remember.  If anyone can think of a worse situational move by a college or NFL football coach, let me know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How does that contradict what I have said?  Danny called the play, Danny works for Bubba. Why do so many of you make excuses for mediocrity over and over again?  Over time there is NO LUCK involved in winning and losing football games.  The 4th down vs NDSU is probably the worst situational football move I can remember.  If anyone can think of a worse situational move by a college or NFL football coach, let me know.

Again, kudos to the dedication but I'm not going to waste my time pointing out how ridiculous some of your comments and stances are (and in your defense, I probably lumped some other people's comments in with yours). Don't get me wrong, there is some actual valid points, but other stuff.....yikes. 

No luck in football. Give me a break.

I mean based on your logic, the Patriots should probably fire Belichick after the bone-headed play Stevenson and Meyers made on Sunday that literally cost them the game. The coaches are responsible for coaching up the players and ensuring they make the right decision during games. That's your stance right? That easily has to be one of the worst decisions made by a player in quite a while. How could the Belichick let that happen?

• Upvote 2

Just now, jdub27 said:

Again, kudos to the dedication but I'm not going to waste my time pointing out how ridiculous some of your comments and stances are. Don't get me wrong, there is some actual valid points, but other stuff.....yikes. 

No luck in football. Give me a break.

I mean based on your logic, the Patriots should probably fire Belichick after the bone-headed play Stevenson and Meyers made on Sunday that literally cost them the game. The coaches are responsible for coaching up the players and ensuring they make the right decision during games. That's your stance right? That easily has to be one of the worst decisions made by a player in quite a while. How could the Belichick let that happen?

In Meyer's defense, he did throw it to a (former) Patriot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

Considering it was a big part of the first D1 home playoff game meltdown, I think you can make the argument they are pretty close.

Both bad, but we went for it at our own 20 yard line on 4th and 1...with the lead... in the 3rd quarter...against NDSU...with the lead. 

I don't think the NDSU debacle will ever be topped, but the double reverse just reinforces my overall point.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Why do so many of you make excuses for mediocrity over and over again?  

You missed the memo MH...you're not allowed to be a UND fan and publicly question how things are done with the program!  We're just supposed to coach the same way, recruit the same way, administer the program the same way...and expect different results will just come!  We have to #TrustTheProcess for ten years and it'll eventually pay off!

Or at least that's what I've been told both here and on social media...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, UND08 said:

You missed the memo MH...you're not allowed to be a UND fan and publicly question how things are done with the program!  We're just supposed to coach the same way, recruit the same way, administer the program the same way...and expect different results will just come!  We have to #TrustTheProcess for ten years and it'll eventually pay off!

We are a game or two over .500 or under .500 every season because we are not lucky and NSDU and SDSU battle for championships every season because they are just "lucky";)...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Write that check big shooter.  Then it will change immediately.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UND08 said:

You need to put more effort into creating your strawmen. This one seems a little old, and tired.

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Write that check big shooter.  Then it will change immediately.

UND could better support the football program in ways that wouldn't cost tons of money, such as better scheduling for destination hockey games - I beleive 3 of the last 4 were held the same weekend as UND home FB games?  That literally costs us ticket revenue.  Also improved PR/Marketing for the FB program could help with ticket sales, merchandise sales, and donations.  There still isn't any public fundraising effort for phase 2.  Hard to argue for people to write a big check when UND isn't asking for one (unless they call you directly I guess).  Anyone care to explain UND's fundraising strategy there?  No wonder they needed to downsize phase two and split half of it off into a P3 project.  Really just need more investment in effort and attention for the most part.  A partnership with someone like Opendorse for NIL wouldn't really cost much other than effort either, but it would show recruits that UND is doing what it can to support them (not the same as an NIL collective).    The actual FB budget has increased and it's probably good enough for now, IMO, but there are areas of support where UND is clearly behind other programs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UND could better support the football program in ways that wouldn't cost tons of money, such as better scheduling for destination hockey games - I beleive 3 of the last 4 were held the same weekend as UND home FB games?  That literally costs us ticket revenue.  Also improved PR/Marketing for the FB program could help with ticket sales, merchandise sales, and donations.  There still isn't any public fundraising effort for phase 2.  Hard to argue for people to write a big check when UND isn't asking for one (unless they call you directly I guess).  Anyone care to explain UND's fundraising strategy there?  No wonder they needed to downsize phase two and split half of it off into a P3 project.  Really just need more investment in effort and attention for the most part.  A partnership with someone like Opendorse for NIL wouldn't really cost much other than effort either, but it would show recruits that UND is doing what it can to support them (not the same as an NIL collective).    The actual FB budget has increased and it's probably good enough for now, IMO, but there are areas of support where UND is clearly behind other programs.

I am sure they don't want to waste small donations on Phase 2 when it will be paid for in a few big ones.  The smaller donations go elsewhere I would imagine.