SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What in my comparison was factually incorrect?
And underperformed compared to what exactly? NDSU? Sure, who hasn't? USD since they are a fair comparison, moving to D1 the same time we did and in a similar conference? Nope. 

Nebraska fans would kill for a winning percentage equal to Bubba's since Pelini left. And Frost didn't have to rebuild from the bottom up, unlike where UND's program was when Bubba took over.

Like I said, come up with $500K and your dream of being equal to the Big Red faithful is on its way. Until you have the money, you're just shouting into the abyss because UND isn't firing a coach with 2 years remaining on their contract. 

So NDSU is not an acceptable benchmark but USD is? Where is SDSU in this? Or Montana State? As long as UND is #3 in the conference, and we’re ignoring SDSU and NDSU, it is okay? That would be last year’s situation, and I can tell you everyone is not okay with 7-5 seasons and first round playoff exits for the next several years. 

And Nebraska did not hire a former player after firing Pelini, to be exact. They did that after firing Mike Riley. 

Money isn’t the issue. UND needs to have higher expectations; they are the ones who extended a 5-6 coach and now you’re saying “Until you have the money, you're just shouting into the abyss because UND isn't firing a coach with 2 years remaining on their contract.” Doesn’t exactly add up, I’m afraid. It’s just dialogue for the sake of arguing and disagreeing with the increasing popular opinion that Bubba doesn’t have it. 

One thing you do have on your side, unfortunately, is I have no confidence that Chaves and his athletic administration will hold UND football to a high standard. Bubba has a lifetime contract; he can retire whenever he wants and Freund will get the job, no matter how many losses or years occur in transition. UND and Chaves need to prove that they want to go on a 2-3 year run of winning the MVFC. Right now, not looking like they care.

• Like 2

Do people realize that the season is not over yet.  UND has two or three big games left:  UNI (iffy), USD and NDSU.  If they win two of three.  They will be in playoffs and possibly hosting a first-round game.  The season is far from over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba has a lifetime contract; he can retire whenever he wants and Freund will get the job, no matter how many losses or years occur in transition. UND and Chaves need to prove that they want to go on a 2-3 year run of winning the MVFC. Right now, not looking like they care.

Nobody should have a lifetime contract, no matter how much the grandmas like him.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Do people realize that the season is not over yet.  UND has two or three big games left:  UNI (iffy), USD and NDSU.  If they win two of three.  They will be in playoffs and possibly hosting a first-round game.  The season is far from over.

You are correct. Probability-wise, University of North Dakota football could be in the same position as they were last year. Will they advance in the playoffs this time??

54 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nobody should have a lifetime contract, no matter how much the grandmas like him.

No one does. People just make things up and parade them around like they are true. 

If you actually believe half the crap constantly being spewed around here, I don't know what to tell you other than reality is a different dimension than this site, particularly the last 8-10 months or so. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

On 10/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, jdub27 said:

Come up with $500K and make all your Nebraska dreams come true. You're on the right path, bringing home a national champion to replace a head coach with a winning record.

On 10/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, jdub27 said:

Come up with $500K and make all your Nebraska dreams come true. You're on the right path, bringing home a national champion to replace a head coach with a winning record.

Bubba would be gone if UND Football Fan, Midwestern Hawk, Good Good, Siouxfan97, UND Hoops Fan and their superior fans would pony up enough cash to buy out bubbas contract! But they don’t have the $$$$$, just empty talk capital. 

I want to move on from Bubba too as much as them BUT I realize it isn’t possible right now due to his contract 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/5/2023 at 5:24 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree, but the University of North Dakota athletic department has yet to suggest otherwise. Beyond disappointing and frustrating…

How many times have said this on the site over the last 3 years? Or even the past year? 

WE GET IT, WE MOSTLY AGREE, WE PROBABLY SHOULD NOT HAVE EXTENDED BUBBA, WE SHOULD MOVE ON, 

BUT

WE HAVE NO INFLUENCE without $$$$$$

SO FOR NOW MOVE ON!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 10/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree, but the University of North Dakota athletic department has yet to suggest otherwise. Beyond disappointing and frustrating…

Has the athletic department not move on from prior under performing coaches??

17 minutes ago, homer said:

Has the athletic department not move on from prior under performing coaches??

They found the $$$$$ to buy out Mussman, although he made a lot less than Bubba does. So the challenge is greater this time.

What I really don't want is for Chaves to give Bubba a multi-year contract extension this upcoming off-season after a 7-4 first round playoff exit finish. That would confirm the underlying fears of posters like @UND-FB-FAN, @GoodGood, @Midwestern Hawk: That making UND FB a perennial FCS power is simply not a priority for UND athletics.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They found the $$$$$ to buy out Mussman, although he made a lot less than Bubba does. So the challenge is greater this time.

What I really don't want is for Chaves to give Bubba a multi-year contract extension this upcoming off-season after a 7-4 first round playoff exit finish. That would confirm the underlying fears of posters like @UND-FB-FAN, @GoodGood, @Midwestern Hawk: That making UND FB a perennial FCS power is simply not a priority for UND athletics.

Duh,  Danny was promoted to asst Head Coach.  Chaves is on it.  

Bubba coaches…the PR, marketing, and game hype belong to someone else. That is needed to grow the program too. The more Bubba and his staff have to do these marketing tasks, the less time they have for coaching. I assume the AD has staff in place for other programs? Get more people involved….

• Upvote 1